Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tyre/hose issues

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Martyn

Yesterday morning I experienced something I have never seen in twenty years of WFP.

My son was late for work (no that's not the new experience)? and I had already done the front of a large house and had just moved around the back when he arrived, in a hurry. As he sped down the drive my pole was nearly pulled out of my hand. It turns out that I had foolishly forgotten to tuck the hose in to the side of the drive and as he ran over it, lengthwise, it had wedged between the tread blocks of his rear tyre and wrapped itself a few times around the wheel. Fortunately no harm done.

We have only just started using 6mm hose, the various hose we have used previously would all have been to fat for this to happen. 

Just thought I would share so that other users of 6mm hose are aware of the potential for an issue.

I was driving along a side road full of big houses and a yellow hose was laid across the road into a house on the other side. A windy cleaner just park's one side and then cleans both sides rather than move the van over. It obviously saves time but I don't think its to clever but all to their own I guess.

A friend of mine had a hose reel out with 100 meters of 6mm down the Main Street and a double decker bus ran over it and it got stuck between the twin rear wheels and it ripped the valve neck out of the inner tyre on the bus , the driver drive on for nearly 1/2 a mile and didn’t realise until he saw the hose reel bouncing down the road , then he stopped , long storey short my friend got taken to court for the damage done to the bus and the delays caused due to what happened , his insurance paid out ,but thought it was an interesting situation , I have had hoses going across roads for 18 years and not had a problem but I am always careful that it’s flat and not likely to catch on anything . I did have a boy racer years ago deliberately wheel spin over the hose and cut it in half I was livid but couldn’t catch him , probably just as well !!!!!!!!

A friend of mine had a hose reel out with 100 meters of 6mm down the Main Street and a double decker bus ran over it and it got stuck between the twin rear wheels and it ripped the valve neck out of the inner tyre on the bus , the driver drive on for nearly 1/2 a mile and didn’t realise until he saw the hose reel bouncing down the road , then he stopped , long storey short my friend got taken to court for the damage done to the bus and the delays caused due to what happened , his insurance paid out ,but thought it was an interesting situation , I have had hoses going across roads for 18 years and not had a problem but I am always careful that it’s flat and not likely to catch on anything . I did have a boy racer years ago deliberately wheel spin over the hose and cut it in half I was livid but couldn’t catch him , probably just as well !!!!!!!!
I just don't think its sensible and all for saving some time. I'll just stick to doing one side and then turn and do the other side. I thought it would contravene the road traffic act unless you had a cover over it. In the Fire Service we had to place hose ramps and I was always in control of it. ?

I'm always conscious of that happening but it never has yet. I go across the road on closed off new housing estates where they are usually dead ends and cars don't really go past 15-20mph, but still make sure it always goes straight across neatly. 

It's probably more likely to stick in the tyre grooves if the hose is going along the road parallel to the curb. If it goes straight across so that it is perpendicular to the curb it shouldn't be able to stick in the tyres surely? 

I wouldn't go across a proper 30mph road though, especially on a bus route! 

Although I've never heard of it happening, I wonder if a car driving over it fast enough could bounce the hose into the air with the front wheels enough to catch on something on the underside of the chassis? 

Although I've never heard of it happening, I wonder if a car driving over it fast enough could bounce the hose into the air with the front wheels enough to catch on something on the underside of the chassis? 
Years ago a lad on  FB group said a taxi driver sped through a 20mph area and drove so fast that his hose got wrapped around the tyre and dragged his hose reel down the street,

I have no issue with laying hose in any direction across a road on the quiet streets of housing estates as people are always driving cautiously and usually about 10mph , but absolutely no way these days would I lay across a main road far too many idiots on roads not paying attention and speeding.

I had a old shape mini drage my hose and pole 15 or so meters down the road 1st and only time its happend think it was coiled up and cault on bottom somewhere to add insult it was my extreme 22 that got draged lucky no damage to eather party ?

Yesterday morning I experienced something I have never seen in twenty years of WFP.

My son was late for work (no that's not the new experience)? and I had already done the front of a large house and had just moved around the back when he arrived, in a hurry. As he sped down the drive my pole was nearly pulled out of my hand. It turns out that I had foolishly forgotten to tuck the hose in to the side of the drive and as he ran over it, lengthwise, it had wedged between the tread blocks of his rear tyre and wrapped itself a few times around the wheel. Fortunately no harm done.

We have only just started using 6mm hose, the various hose we have used previously would all have been to fat for this to happen. 

Just thought I would share so that other users of 6mm hose are aware of the potential for an issue.
So after years of watching police programmes on TV and seeing the high speed pursuits i now know what a wfp stinger is 

Polish_20211023_091614174.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back