Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customers & time to get them

Davidpatrick1978

Hello guys I’ve been working on the windows now for 5 weeks 

I’ve got 40 customers and still working 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts very tired from it im breaking away around march April time hopefully I need to get to around 260 customers to make my business work for me I feel like customers arnt coming at the moment is this normal to go through stages im advertising got business cards flying around im doing everything right im I being to pushy negative with myself 

I know it’s going to take time and no magic wand when I chap the doors I get shut down every way I can sometimes which can be heartbreaking a bit what’s ur views guys and ur past and present customer mountain climb any help please keep them poles wiggling lol

You have to remember you're probably not the only one in your area chasing work. Some people are lucky, with hard work, to have an area short of quality window cleaners and get up and running very quickly. Your area might have plenty of good ones so it will take you longer.

Never set hard and fast growth targets as this puts you under unnecessary pressure. 

Don't get disheartened it's just a game of numbers. As long as you look professional, are pleasant and cheerful you will get customers. I'm not sure how quickly you will get 260 customers but you can do it, just don't put yourself under too much pressure. You need some rest days or you will just be too tired to do a good job.

Try a slightly different area - I tried a few areas near me and some are better than others. Also I have had customers keep leaflets for a couple of months before contacting me or passing them to a family member or friend. I have even had customers I quoted for 2 months ago come back to me and ask me to clean after initially saying I was way too expensive, I left them the quote and they called back 2 months later!!!

So just keep plodding on in the knowledge that the next door you chap might be a new custy or even bring you 3 or 4. I had 1 customer recommend me to their 2 neighbours even before I had cleaned her windows. So you never know what is round the corner.

I’ve got 40 customers and still working 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts very tired from it im breaking away around march April time hopefully I need to get to around 260 customers to make my business work for me I feel like customers arnt coming at the moment is this normal to go through stages im advertising got business cards flying around im doing everything right im I being to pushy negative with myself 

I know it’s going to take time and no magic wand when I chap the doors I get shut down every way I can sometimes which can be heartbreaking a bit what’s ur views guys and ur past and present customer mountain climb any help please keep them poles wiggling lol
Winter time will be slower to pick up customers as many wont worry about having clean windows on dark dull days , but the ones you do pick up will be good customers and want a regular year round clean , feb-March will be the time most will start thinking about it , I started in November years ago and by the following March had over 400 customers but there was only one other window cleaner in my area , just keep plugging away , ask existing customers if they have friends or family that might be interested in your services , pile on the fact you are a new business trying to put food on the table and finding  it a bit hard to get enough work don’t over do it but most like to try and help the under dog and will probably ask friends on your behalf , your first winter will always be the hardest , you are in a very good position being able to still do your own job , keep us informed how you are doing ?

I wouldn't waste money on business cards and just hand out leaflets, it's an odd time at the moment with uncertainty and lots of tight wads around saving for Christmas.

Just do what you are doing and be patient. It takes time and winter is the time of year where no one cares about their property as it's dark most the time and they don't see it 

Winter time will be slower to pick up customers as many wont worry about having clean windows on dark dull days , but the ones you do pick up will be good customers and want a regular year round clean , feb-March will be the time most will start thinking about it , I started in November years ago and by the following March had over 400 customers but there was only one other window cleaner in my area , just keep plugging away , ask existing customers if they have friends or family that might be interested in your services , pile on the fact you are a new business trying to put food on the table and finding  it a bit hard to get enough work don’t over do it but most like to try and help the under dog and will probably ask friends on your behalf , your first winter will always be the hardest , you are in a very good position being able to still do your own job , keep us informed how you are doing ?
I would say that telling potential customers you're a new business might put some off, no experience etc. Would you want an apprentice sparky re wiring your house or a qualified one?

Be positive and believe in yourself. When knocking doors you could tell a few porkies like your cleaning for a customer a few doors up...40 customers after 5 weeks is really good. At this rate it'll be 80 after 10 weeks, 160 after 20 weeks...the other thing is that when your building you're gaining experience and speed so when you've got more customers than you can shake a pole at you'll be up and running ?

I would say that telling potential customers you're a new business might put some off, no experience etc. Would you want an apprentice sparky re wiring your house or a qualified one?

Be positive and believe in yourself. When knocking doors you could tell a few porkies like your cleaning for a customer a few doors up...40 customers after 5 weeks is really good. At this rate it'll be 80 after 10 weeks, 160 after 20 weeks...the other thing is that when your building you're gaining experience and speed so when you've got more customers than you can shake a pole at you'll be up and running ?
I was made redundant and started window cleaning ones knew I had been made redundant and helped to try and get me customers, I was well know in the area having lived hear from a child but many customers recommend me to friends and family to try and help . An apprentice electrician cannot re wire your house unless he’s supervised and to be honest the checks that are done on his work will be far higher than a qualified guy who might try and cut corners , but I understand what you are saying but in my case it worked well and within 4 months had gained over 400 customers I still have the vast majority of them some 22 years later . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last winter I got more customers than in the summer the previous year

Newer windys will pack up in winters when **** hits the fan. Those customers are the ones you want as they’ll start looking very shortly after they’re last cleaner should have came 

Windows are dirtier in the winter months as i never forget to point out to anyone asking if you “work through the winter”

Every area is different no one can predict how long it will take anyone you could gain 50 in a month then 50 in the next 11 combined

Keep smiling doing a good job doing small extra jobs like inside kitchen windows for people when your starting out and your customers will fly up

I wouldn't waste money on business cards and just hand out leaflets
I use business cards with pre printed stickers on the back with space to put quote prices in and another with 'I cleaned your windows today' balance = £xx and my bank details on the back.

Saves having separate invoices printed especially for domestic custy. I also carry business cards on me when cleaning, so no need to go back to car for leaflet.

That said my business cards are more like short adverts with my contact details on.

I use business cards with pre printed stickers on the back with space to put quote prices in and another with 'I cleaned your windows today' balance = £xx and my bank details on the back.

Saves having separate invoices printed especially for domestic custy. I also carry business cards on me when cleaning, so no need to go back to car for leaflet.

That said my business cards are more like short adverts with my contact details on.
We have never used flyers , but only use business cards for new customers , we have printed “your windows have been cleaned today “ slips that are put through the doors of any customers that arnt in or want/need a receipt with the outstanding amount due , and our contact details on them , generally get around 20,000 printed at a time ???? 

Thankyou my friend ?

Don't get disheartened it's just a game of numbers. As long as you look professional, are pleasant and cheerful you will get customers. I'm not sure how quickly you will get 260 customers but you can do it, just don't put yourself under too much pressure. You need some rest days or you will just be too tired to do a good job.

Try a slightly different area - I tried a few areas near me and some are better than others. Also I have had customers keep leaflets for a couple of months before contacting me or passing them to a family member or friend. I have even had customers I quoted for 2 months ago come back to me and ask me to clean after initially saying I was way too expensive, I left them the quote and they called back 2 months later!!!

So just keep plodding on in the knowledge that the next door you chap might be a new custy or even bring you 3 or 4. I had 1 customer recommend me to their 2 neighbours even before I had cleaned her windows. So you never know what is round the corner.
Thankyou ched ?

Thankyou ched

One way of looking at it is that every "No" you get, you are one closer to a "Yes".

Also it's a case of "getting yourself out there". I found that a lot those who turned me down when I originally canvassed actually approached me a few months/even years later - if they see you turning up regularly and get good reports re: your work they will be far more willing to take you on & generally speaking when they approach you (rather than vice-versa), you can usually price higher. 

There is always various factors at play old windys who have had the jobs years, saturated areas as there has never been so many window cleaners around always dropping leaflets and knocking doors, you'll always gain work if you just keep pushing on, no time of the year is a bad time of the year to gain new work,

this summer I had a massive drop in enquires compared to how things typically are through the summer months yet I've gained a fair amount in the last few weeks, it will really depend on your area they ain't stopped building houses in the last 10 years in my work area and there is about another 10 years of house building planned as farm land is sold off and old factories flattened and the land has and is been built on.

Last edited by a moderator:
INVEST in flyers saturate your target area, get family to help deliver them.

INVEST in sign written van, your biggest advertising tool.

INVEST your time, your time costs nothing, make sure youve done all your homework on the area, the other local windys (do they have vans, are they a big presence, do they work alone, do they have employees)

This will sound patronising but its not ment to be, DO NOT set a target to leave your regular job, because youll stress the closer that time gets if your not where you wanna be.

Building a sucessful business is a marathon not a sprint.

Some people take 5yrs to build a round strong enough to fully support themselves, others (me) are in the right area at the right time and it takes off quickly but will still take a horrendous amount of hard work. Id say there deffo more on here that built slower rather than at speed.

Back