Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best machine for starting out?

WirralWash

Hi guys,

I've recently been thinking about starting my own pressure washing company (with no experience yet) and wondered what machine people would recommend for getting started?

I've browsed this forum and came across Jetmac, I was thinking either this or this machine just to get started out and gain some experience.

Has anyone got any experience with these machines? Are they reliable? Are there any other machines for a decent price that will do the job properly you would recommend?

Also, what hose length would you recommend to get started out with?

Cheers

Welcome.

I would say 12litres per min is a bit on the low side. To use a flat surface cleaner you need more like 15 litres per min as a minimum.

12l/min is the max you can legally pull from a domestic tap. So using a bigger machine needs a 'buffer tank' some use wheelie bins!

Remember that pressure and flow are different things - some insurance companies put a limit on max pressure of 250bar.

The more L/min the quicker you can do the job, in very simplistic terms.  More jobs a day = more ££££ 

Hi guys,

I've recently been thinking about starting my own pressure washing company (with no experience yet) and wondered what machine people would recommend for getting started?

I've browsed this forum and came across Jetmac, I was thinking either this or this machine just to get started out and gain some experience.

Has anyone got any experience with these machines? Are they reliable? Are there any other machines for a decent price that will do the job properly you would recommend?

Also, what hose length would you recommend to get started out with?

Cheers
Rutland pumps watertek 15 or 21lpm machine, 

I've found

Welcome.

I would say 12litres per min is a bit on the low side. To use a flat surface cleaner you need more like 15 litres per min as a minimum.

12l/min is the max you can legally pull from a domestic tap. So using a bigger machine needs a 'buffer tank' some use wheelie bins!

Remember that pressure and flow are different things - some insurance companies put a limit on max pressure of 250bar.

The more L/min the quicker you can do the job, in very simplistic terms.  More jobs a day = more ££££ 
Thanks for the reply! What you've said makes complete sense, i've found a second hand (looks brand new) Honda GX390 with a surface cleaner, 50m of hose and lance for £1500, would that be a good deal do you reckon? I did have a cheaper budget in mind but if it's needs must to get me off the ground with proper gear then I guess I'll need to at some point.

Edit: should have mentioned the GX390 is 21LPM so will definitely have the power to get me started.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found

Thanks for the reply! What you've said makes complete sense, i've found a second hand (looks brand new) Honda GX390 with a surface cleaner, 50m of hose and lance for £1500, would that be a good deal do you reckon? I did have a cheaper budget in mind but if it's needs must to get me off the ground with proper gear then I guess I'll need to at some point.

Edit: should have mentioned the GX390 is 21LPM so will definitely have the power to get me started.
Be very careful of second hand 

Service life is crucial, how many hours has a machine run, how frequently has the oils been changed engine, pump & gearbox, spark plug air filter. Woodruff key and so on

You can get a brand new 13hp dual pumps 21lpm machine with standard lance, 10m hose and 18" BE Whirlaway for £1200

Also when many get into pressure washing it's often overlooked when having a spare high pressure hose 

Having a backup is key and also having a 50m hose will be to big for certain jobs and 

Just a few key pointers for you 

Hi, 

First time posting on here. I would definitely recommend jetmac. 

I started up my own exterior cleaning company this year and got my pressure washer from jetmac, amazing piece of kit!  This is the one I have, for £1300 this deal is definitely worth it. Everything you'll need to start and it will give amazing results. 

https://jetmac.co.uk/shop/ols/products/loncin-petrol-jetwasher-package-4000-psi-15-litre

Hope this helps and good luck with the business! 

Tom.

Hi, 

First time posting on here. I would definitely recommend jetmac. 

I started up my own exterior cleaning company this year and got my pressure washer from jetmac, amazing piece of kit!  This is the one I have, for £1300 this deal is definitely worth it. Everything you'll need to start and it will give amazing results. 

https://jetmac.co.uk/shop/ols/products/loncin-petrol-jetwasher-package-4000-psi-15-litre

Hope this helps and good luck with the business! 

Tom.
Hmm very tempting. This is looking like the ideal starter kit ? will look into it further.. thanks Tom

Be very careful of second hand 

Service life is crucial, how many hours has a machine run, how frequently has the oils been changed engine, pump & gearbox, spark plug air filter. Woodruff key and so on

You can get a brand new 13hp dual pumps 21lpm machine with standard lance, 10m hose and 18" BE Whirlaway for £1200

Also when many get into pressure washing it's often overlooked when having a spare high pressure hose 

Having a backup is key and also having a 50m hose will be to big for certain jobs and 

Just a few key pointers for you 
Cheers mate I really appreciate your advice. Would you have any links for me to have a look at regarding machines? 

Have you given much thought to how you're gong to get work coming in? Because it seems to me that some people spend alot of time thinking about their kit, and all their money, but give no thought to how they're going to get work and have no money left over to invest in establishing / growing their business.

Then they find themselves with plenty of nice equipment but no work - and it's not just going to magically turn up. I'm not saying this applies to you but is something to think about.

Also bear in mind pressure washing is particularly seasonal and there's not much work about during the winter.

Have you given much thought to how you're gong to get work coming in? Because it seems to me that some people spend alot of time thinking about their kit, and all their money, but give no thought to how they're going to get work and have no money left over to invest in establishing / growing their business.

Then they find themselves with plenty of nice equipment but no work - and it's not just going to magically turn up. I'm not saying this applies to you but is something to think about.

Also bear in mind pressure washing is particularly seasonal and there's not much work about during the winter.
A very true and valid point which applies across the board. Business management, projected services, customer base and then equipment purchase in my opinion 

Rutland pumps loncin is a good starter 15lpm or 21 lpm my 15 runs a 18inch fsc no trouble at all but the number 1 tool is the turbo nozzle and wide fan jet for rinsing walls i use the black cem nozzle you will find the fsc wont get used that much ?

Good morning, great question and points, thanks for asking!

I will be doing everything I can to get work quite frankly. SEO, facebook ads, facebook groups, gumtree, thousands of flyers, I may already have an in with some estate agents etc to name a few things.

I agree it's like most things people want the shiny new toy but aren't willing to put in the hard work but I've been fed up of the 9-5 grind for a few years now and whilst I'll remain doing that for now, I won't know until I get started hence why coming to this forum and learning and being pointed in the right direction from people with experience.  There no is no experience quite like getting out there and actually doing it which is what I plan on doing, if it doesn't work out for me at least I will know I've tried instead of pondering what could have been. If it does work out then great, 

And fairplay to you mate and we all wish you the best. It's not necessarily a case of not putting in the hard work, it's just blindly gong into something cos they like the idea of it. And some people are happy to spend £1000s on flashy kit but don't want to put a penny into the business itself. I'm talking about actual investment that gives you a ROI.

Decent equpment is an investment too as it's what allows you to do the job, but it also loses value as soon as it's second hand.

Investing in customer acquisition is so fundamental to any business but completely ignored sometimes. It's as if it's a case of buld it and they'll come - no they won't. Not without some sort of strategy whether it's advertising, website, Checkatrade, flyers, sgn writing etc.

And you're right to try as many things as possible and they all have strengths and weaknesses and at the end of the day you want to be gettng new customers from as many sources as possible. And even better still if you can deal with it yourself instead of paying ....and snce you mentioned SEO it's worth thinking about a SEO friendly busness name and /or domain name (cos they don't have to be the same) but keywords in those names still gives a ranking boost. Doesn't have to be exact match phrases and general keywords are fine e.g. cleaners/cleaning services etc etc and a location  can also assist (for your target town).

You might want to consider divesifying a bit too for year round work

Thanks K, that's a great bit of advice mate I appreciate it!

From the outside looking in that is definitely what strikes me about starting a PW business is actually getting the work. Where I am based there would (potentially) be lots of work but as you mentioned, it is acquiring it and the knowing how to which will be the hard part. 

It's definitely at the forefront of my mind in regards to the actually getting the work, not doing it (although I will need to learn that too of course, but I have enough friends/family that I could do for free if needs be just to know how to get off on the right foot and get my head around providing a good service.)  

What is considered for diversifying work? Window/carpet cleaning I've read, is there anything else for over winter? 

I WFH in my main job and have the majority of the day available as well as weekends to have a side/second job which is the reason I want to start this in the first place so for winter I can just buckle down with that to get started, obviously it will be a different ball game if I go full time on the pressure washing!

I would, personally, only do freebies for very close family. By all means do mates rates, when learning, but only for positive Google reviews. These reviews will generate more business as well.
Good point mate, I'm well aware of GMB and google reviews etc and definitely have that in mind for generating a positive looking business, cheers!

Remember when doing 'family and friends' work take lots of before and after pictures so you have good images for your website and fliers etc. 

Latest Posts

Back