Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

So Many Vans Around Now

Vince Green

I know this subject has been done before many times but this week it has really been obvious. So many new vans around cleaning windows that I have never seen before. All signwritten and very professional looking.

A trad guy came over and asked to see my wfp setup. I didn't mind, even let him have a go but I could imagine a lot would have told him to **** off.

This business is getting very saturated now. Its still about the easiest business to start if you get slung on the scrapheap made redundant.

True, only recently started myself with a view to giving up my night job but since starting at least half a dozen in the rural area I live have sprung up. That's only the very professional looking vans heaven knows how many others (including myself obviously).

People come and go all the time in this game. They soon find out it can be hard going running a business and many pack it in. It seems only the ones with drive and determination and maybe a bit of luck make a go of it full time.

People come and go all the time in this game. They soon find out it can be hard going running a business and many pack it in. It seems only the ones with drive and determination and maybe a bit of luck make a go of it full time.
Very true, I wonder how many will be left after this winter? lol

me too, only once you have done a full winter cleaning windows can you call yourself a window cleaner, the summers easy!lol

me too, only once you have done a full winter cleaning windows can you call yourself a window cleaner, the summers easy!lol
Go on cheer me up, I ain't done one yet. Wanna gear up and go full time next spring though so out come the long johns.

Go on cheer me up, I ain't done one yet. Wanna gear up and go full time next spring though so out come the long johns.
Thermal top, gloves, thick socks, snow shoes and a tent (you never know) Wait... maybe that just in Scotland you need all that? lol

Got a tent, note to self - buy snow shoes and spiked tyres for bike :wacko:
I had these things that go over your shoes. It was like studs. Gives awesome grip in the snow. Shame I never got to use them last years. It wasent that bad thankfully lol

Yeah saw em, someone posted a thread about em few days ago. They look pretty cool and ladder friendly apparently if they same ones.

Yeah saw em, someone posted a thread about em few days ago. They look pretty cool and ladder friendly apparently if they same ones.
I tried walking up and down the ladder with them and the seemed okay to me. However thewre was no snow about and I think it was dry when I tried them out, probably not the best test ive done lol

lol, its not that bad really, we normally only get a week or 2 here and there of really cold weather, but yh longjohns are an absolute must have!

also iv got a metal zippo handwarmer that i keep in my pocket when its really cold, sometimes your fingers get ice cold when your detailing and the zippo is a complete godsend!

When your van is snowed in on your drive and all your gear is frozen solid maybe then best to call it a day and take the day off.

You can always I guess wear your snow over shoes to walk to the pub. Dont want to get injured slipping over do we now /emoticons/biggrin.png

lol, its not that bad really, we normally only get a week or 2 here and there of really cold weather, but yh longjohns are an absolute must have!

also iv got a metal zippo handwarmer that i keep in my pocket when its really cold, sometimes your fingers get ice cold when your detailing and the zippo is a complete godsend!
Dog eared channel, small bit of skill = Hardly need to detail at all. In the winter when its real cold when I worked for someone we never use to detail at all. We never got any complaints if we did it was from the guys that were hired as extra help.

When your van is snowed in on your drive and all your gear is frozen solid maybe then best to call it a day and take the day off.

You can always I guess wear your snow over shoes to walk to the pub. Dont want to get injured slipping over do we now /emoticons/biggrin.png
I plan on installing a green house heater in my van over the winter. Well I plan on lining the wall of my WFP box with insulation. Then putting the heater inside it.

From what ive been told it should be okay for me to power it off my battery

Doesnt matter how many vans be on the road.. as long sa you provide a good service then dont worry about anything /emoticons/tongue.png

the only downside is with more cleaners is that... it may be harder for you to pick work up... but theirs always jobs their waiting /emoticons/smile.png

Back