Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar panel cleaning training days

S

Solar Steve

Hi guys.

I am looking into becoming an accredited solar panel cleaning trainer. Still a few legals to sort out, but I was wondering before I take the plunge how many would be interested in such a course.

We are hoping to tie up some huge contracts over the next 12 months, a few of which are UK-wide. Hopefully, we can sub this out to some of you guys but a stipulation would be that you had attended our training day and got the accreditation before we would pass on the work.

The accreditation would be a small investment that could provide each of you with larger returns. This would also give us confidence in you as a contractor and give the customer confidence that they were having their solar panels cleaned by a professional who had, not just the right equipment, but the training to go with it.

Topics covered would be:

1. A quick, and I mean quick, guide to how solar panels work.

2. Training on the do's and don'ts of solar panel cleaning

3. Choosing the correct equipment

4. Marketing and attracting business, websites, canvassing etc.

5. How to quote. Creating value for your customer & still making a profit

6. Time management and effective work scheduling.

Your feedback about the idea would be helpful, along with any other suggestions as to what you would want as a contractor from such a day.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

I cant see anybody signing up mate cleaning solar panels is so easy in fact easier than cleaning windows

I cant see anybody signing up mate cleaning solar panels is so easy in fact easier than cleaning windows
Have to agree here, they are to easy to do to have training for it.

Plus can't see that you would get a recognized qualification like city and guilds that every one would know.

Yes, I completely take your point regarding the actual cleaning of the panels. Anyone can run a pole up and down a panel. However, this is about a whole lot more than just that. This is building a complete package regarding solar panel cleaning. Rather than just cleaning panels on current customers houses, this is about presenting yourself, company and service to a whole host of other clientele, of which there is an awful lot already in the UK and there will only be more.

I have read lots of posts on here about brushes, poles, is it safe to clean solar panels and there are also questions about things which have not yet been raised or answered as far as I can see, but I do admit I have not read every post! I must do SOME work too!

At the moment, solar panel cleaning is viewed as a handy bolt-on to window cleaning. However, I know from researching other countries solar journeys that solar panel cleaning will become an industry all of its own. I am only 32 and have years ahead of me for work. Perhaps that is why I am quite forward thinking when it comes to this subject. There is a lot of mileage in this growing industry.

The idea of training days are about presenting your company and service as a package, not just how to clean a panel, my nan could do that....

thing is i am already fully trained it alot of the stuff that you alrady talking about and the training is free!

That's fine RC so you are probably not in the target market for this. I guess you have been doing this for years and can draw on your experience, start ups cannot.

I have done similar courses in the past out of curiosity, for the money and one day of my time, I thought it would be worth a punt. The courses taught me stuff I have taken into all areas of my business even though the training day was aimed at something specific.

There is an influx of people leaving jobs/being made redundant who are seeing window cleaning as a new alternative career. For them, a day on a training course getting someone else's 16 years experience can be invaluable. They are the target market, along with others looking to expand their services but who are unsure how to go about it.

Just remember, when you see me get investment from Dragons Den for solar panel cleaning, you heard it here first! Lol!

That's fine RC so you are probably not in the target market for this. I guess you have been doing this for years and can draw on your experience, start ups cannot.

I have done similar courses in the past out of curiosity, for the money and one day of my time, I thought it would be worth a punt. The courses taught me stuff I have taken into all areas of my business even though the training day was aimed at something specific.

There is an influx of people leaving jobs/being made redundant who are seeing window cleaning as a new alternative career. For them, a day on a training course getting someone else's 16 years experience can be invaluable. They are the target market, along with others looking to expand their services but who are unsure how to go about it.

Just remember, when you see me get investment from Dragons Den for solar panel cleaning, you heard it here first! Lol!

dont think that will be happening anytime soon!

dont think that will be happening anytime soon!
i do like your thinking steve but window cleaners using this as an add-on have already got a head start on this do you not think?

Not yet Belfast, but I will definitely keep you in mind as I have been asked about covering Northern Ireland by one client. Do you currently do solar?

no only been a year by myself and only 2 years part time working for someone before that in window cleaning, But run my own company for 15 years now.

the only thing is, but its like it in all jobs, would you trust a 16/17 year old boy that has training to do the work on your house or someone that is a lot older with a lot more experiance, training etc?? i know we all got to start somewhere and if this sort of training came out it would best suit guys that have been in the game for 'x' amount of years or comapnies that have staff that can send 2 guys out on the job, one trianed one trainee

Like any training, it is only training, experience counts too. Only a percentage of people will put the training into action and perhaps only a percentage of the training. But if you are driven enough, you will maximise the knowledge you hear and use as much as you feel necessary. Some people who go on any training course think they don't need to pay too much attention, because they have years of experience and the instructor can tell them nothing. A 16 or 17 year old may have little experience, but be eager to learn. So I guess it depends who you have there on the day.

I set my window cleaning company up literally the day after I left school at 16 and been doing ok, but after being trained later down the line one side of the business is really taking off. The training was nothing fancy, just information. I guess I just want to share some principles I have learned to help others fast track their journey.

Not being funny but I myself have panels 3 years old and they are made with self cleaning glass. Yes I offer and do clean quite a few but a training course????

Why is this thread posted twice steve? here and also in wfp section....https://www.windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/4240-training-days-for-solar-panel-cleaning/

Could you please respond to my question there. Many thanks...

Not yet Belfast, but I will definitely keep you in mind as I have been asked about covering Northern Ireland by one client. Do you currently do solar?
I haven't had any solar jobs yet!! Although I have a plan up my sleeve which I'm going to try and find out a bit more.

Ok Belfast. If you want to idea share or need some info, feel free to get in touch.

Not being funny but I myself have panels 3 years old and they are made with self cleaning glass. Yes I offer and do clean quite a few but a training course????
I know what you mean. I was shocked when I found out you can get a city & guilds and an nvq in window cleaning. The FWC offer courses on cleaning windows. I was 14 when I started cleaning windows. How hard is it? Not very. But we like to do the courses, get the badge/certificate and customers like to see it too. All of us can drive, but not all of us get paid to teach people to drive because we haven't done the training course. Customers like a trained professional. It gives confidence.

I know what you mean. I was shocked when I found out you can get a city & guilds and an nvq in window cleaning. The FWC offer courses on cleaning windows. I was 14 when I started cleaning windows. How hard is it? Not very. But we like to do the courses, get the badge/certificate and customers like to see it too. All of us can drive, but not all of us get paid to teach people to drive because we haven't done the training course. Customers like a trained professional. It gives confidence.
the training isnt on how to clean windows its all the H&S and alot of other things that you need to know about running a safe business.

the certificate always helps too, as its a recognised quilification. one thing that your solar panel cleaning training is lacking at the minute. once you get that sorted it will make it a lot better.

the training isnt on how to clean windows its all the H&S and alot of other things that you need to know about running a safe business.

the certificate always helps too, as its a recognised quilification. one thing that your solar panel cleaning training is lacking at the minute. once you get that sorted it will make it a lot better.
Nuff said well put both wasn't looking at it Like that. GF

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock