Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Training Days For Solar Panel Cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

S

Solar Steve

Hi guys.

Put this post in other chat too, but think it may be relevant here too.

I am looking into becoming an accredited solar panel cleaning trainer. Still a few legals to sort out, but I was wondering before I take the plunge how many would be interested in such a course.

We are hoping to tie up some huge contracts over the next 12 months, a few of which are UK-wide. Hopefully, we can sub this out to some of you guys but a stipulation would be that you had attended our training day and got the accreditation before we would pass on the work.

The accreditation would be a small investment that could provide each of you with larger returns. This would also give us confidence in you as a contractor and give the customer confidence that they were having their solar panels cleaned by a professional who had, not just the right equipment, but the training to go with it.

Topics covered would be:

1. A quick, and I mean quick, guide to how solar panels work.

2. Training on the do's and don'ts of solar panel cleaning

3. Choosing the correct equipment

4. Marketing and attracting business, websites, canvassing etc.

5. How to quote. Creating value for your customer & still making a profit

6. Time management and effective work scheduling.

Your feedback about the idea would be helpful, along with any other suggestions as to what you would want as a contractor from such a day.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

mark m, on 03 October 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

I cant see anybody signing up mate cleaning solar panels is so easy in fact easier than cleaning windows

Have to agree here, they are to easy to do to have training for it.

Plus can't see that you would get a recognized qualification like city and guilds that every one would know.

How much were you thinking of charging for this course?
Not sure exactly but would be at somewhere like the holiday inn, include teas and coffees and if I can arrange it for a good enough price, lunch too. Total for the day about £90.00.

£90.00 represents great value if you learn how to land a six-monthly commercial contracts through a well designed website and with the correct kit, do it in record time!!!

mark m, on 03 October 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

I cant see anybody signing up mate cleaning solar panels is so easy in fact easier than cleaning windows

Have to agree here, they are to easy to do to have training for it.

Plus can't see that you would get a recognized qualification like city and guilds that every one would know.

Yes, I completely take your point regarding the actual cleaning of the panels. Anyone can run a pole up and down a panel. However, this is about a whole lot more than just that. This is building a complete package regarding solar panel cleaning. Rather than just cleaning panels on current customers houses, this is about presenting yourself, company and service to a whole host of other clientele, of which there is an awful lot already in the UK and there will only be more.

I have read lots of posts on here about brushes, poles, is it safe to clean solar panels and there are also questions about things which have not yet been raised or answered as far as I can see, but I do admit I have not read every post! I must do SOME work too!

At the moment, solar panel cleaning is viewed as a handy bolt-on to window cleaning. However, I know from researching other countries solar journeys that solar panel cleaning will become an industry all of its own. I am only 32 and have years ahead of me for work. Perhaps that is why I am quite forward thinking when it comes to this subject. There is a lot of mileage in this growing industry.

The idea of training days are about presenting your company and service as a package, not just how to clean a panel, my nan could do that....

£90.00 represents great value if you learn how to land a six-monthly commercial contracts through a well designed website and with the correct kit, do it in record time!!!
So there will be no nationals doing commercial then?

If there is money in commercial solar panel cleaning you can guarantee the nationals will soon undercut you!

Yes, I completely take your point regarding the actual cleaning of the panels. Anyone can run a pole up and down a panel. However, this is about a whole lot more than just that. This is building a complete package regarding solar panel cleaning. Rather than just cleaning panels on current customers houses, this is about presenting yourself, company and service to a whole host of other clientele, of which there is an awful lot already in the UK and there will only be more.

I have read lots of posts on here about brushes, poles, is it safe to clean solar panels and there are also questions about things which have not yet been raised or answered as far as I can see, but I do admit I have not read every post! I must do SOME work too!

At the moment, solar panel cleaning is viewed as a handy bolt-on to window cleaning. However, I know from researching other countries solar journeys that solar panel cleaning will become an industry all of its own. I am only 32 and have years ahead of me for work. Perhaps that is why I am quite forward thinking when it comes to this subject. There is a lot of mileage in this growing industry.

The idea of training days are about presenting your company and service as a package, not just how to clean a panel, my nan could do that....

The idea of training days are about presenting your company and service as a package
Do you think that window cleaners who have been running a business for years dont already know how to present their business?

Yeh right 32 years of age Steve, not what Mark tells me, /emoticons/biggrin.png

The issue with solar panel cleaning a lot of houses do not have the room for you to reach the panels from the ground. You may have to stand in next doors garden to reach. This is one downside I see in solar panel cleaning.

The issue with solar panel cleaning a lot of houses do not have the room for you to reach the panels from the ground. You may have to stand in next doors garden to reach. This is one downside I see in solar panel cleaning.

Very true plus i have heard that the system has to be switched off to clean for safety reasons so customers would have to be in to clean them

Do you think that window cleaners who have been running a business for years dont already know how to present their business?
Nope, definitely not. This idea will not appeal to folks who have had their business for years. The fact that they still have their business shows they know how to present it. They are not the target market, start ups are.

You obviously are successful James so the training day will have no appeal to you. But to the guy who has just had 15 years in an office who has been made redundant and has little experience in running his own business, doesn't have a page 1 google website, wants to window clean and learn more about add-ons to the business such as solar panel cleaning, SOMETHING he may learn on such as day may be valuable to him.

We know there is an upsurge of window cleaners at the moment and the new ones are the target market.

Hi doug!!! 32 mate I'm afraid! I had an uphill paper round, but it wasn't as steep as Marks! Agree with you on the houses side of things.

Nope, definitely not. This idea will not appeal to folks who have had their business for years. The fact that they still have their business shows they know how to present it. They are not the target market, start ups are.

You obviously are successful James so the training day will have no appeal to you. But to the guy who has just had 15 years in an office who has been made redundant and has little experience in running his own business, doesn't have a page 1 google website, wants to window clean and learn more about add-ons to the business such as solar panel cleaning, SOMETHING he may learn on such as day may be valuable to him.

We know there is an upsurge of window cleaners at the moment and the new ones are the target market.

Steve your opening post was about subbing the work out was it not? now if you were subbing out then that would be to experianced cleaners and not new start up as you have said?

The possibility for subbing is there as well as start up. I was just after general feedback from all.

The possibility for subbing is there as well as start up. I was just after general feedback from all.
i do think a training day( and maybe a dvd of the correct process of cleaning solar panels) and futher support that you are trying to do will be to of benefit to a lot of cleaners!

you only have to look through the forums with posts on scratched glass/cills etc:

will be costly on solar panels!

Would to be wise to make sure you have the correct insurance that covers Damage to Property Worked Upon & Treatment Risks covered too. Simples....

Glad you think there may be some interest. DVD could be given attenders to the day. Could do a bit about scratch removal on panels by previous cleaners too because we have been asked about that and we can get them out safely. The training certificate, coupled with a scratch removal service and visible inspections of panels are all helping customers build confidence in you as 'a professional solar cleaner'.

we currently clean solar panels for clients who already have a window cleaner with wfp, but they want US to clean their solar panels because we market ourselves as 'professional solar panel cleaners.' It is all about the customers perception.

will city and guilds be backing the training to make it known and trusted training or will it be solar steve trained certificate that wouldnt mean anything to anyone???

I don't think it's a bad idea Steve, I think it's all about location like impact 43 travel to different locations around England, would this be something you would be doing with the rite interest, it is something I would consider doing £90/£150 for years of knowledge CHEAP AS CHIPS.

I would do it even if you didnt get backing from city and guilds. Great idea

yer i agree its a great idea as is all types of training, always looks better.

as long as you have a nationally recognised training it will be good

I would do it even if you didnt get backing from city and guilds. Great idea
but the down side is you cant say you are trained as there is no college or uni to back up the training.

Back