Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Broken Double Glazing?

vito61

Hi All

I've just had a customer ask me to only use traditional from now on. His complaint is that an inner piece of glass has shattered (toughened glass, sealed unit). I only ever do the outside. The manufacturer, lets call them Angle-iron Windows, has pointed finger at my good self. I cannot work out how this could have happened. Can wfp system cause this? I did not wack the window at any time. :huh:

Absolutely did not hit it. Customer not particularly blaming me. As he said to me "seed of doubt planted by d/g company" who btw, want something like £850 (!!!!!) to replace sealed unit approx 750mm x 750mm.

I would try and get a second opinion from another friendly DD company,I would think the outside glass would have damage if it was a clout from a WFP brush.More likely a faulty unit or broken from the inside.Sounds very fishy to me.

Guest Paulie18

Hi. I'm actually a glazier by trade, as well as a budding window cleaner. First off, there is no way I can see the inner pane being broken by a wfp. Breaking the outer pane would be highly unlikely. It couldn't have been you, and the window company knows that. You're being used as a scapegoat for what was most likely either the unwitting fault of the customer or some internal pressure in the window's rebate which caused the unit to crack. The latter would implicate the window company, so naturally they're happy for you to take the rap.

Sounds like a stalemate to me. Best put it down to experience. At least you kept the customer.

Hi. I'm actually a glazier by trade, as well as a budding window cleaner. First off, there is no way I can see the inner pane being broken by a wfp. Breaking the outer pane would be highly unlikely. It couldn't have been you, and the window company knows that. You're being used as a scapegoat for what was most likely either the unwitting fault of the customer or some internal pressure in the window's rebate which caused the unit to crack. The latter would implicate the window company, so naturally they're happy for you to take the rap.

Sounds like a stalemate to me. Best put it down to experience. At least you kept the customer.

Sounds like a no brainer to me! How could you possibly have caused that? ... stand your ground and stop feeling guilty i say! good luck..:huh:

Thanks for your kind words everybody. It confirms my initial thinking. Darn those pesky scallywags and bounders at Angle-iron windows! I'll show them!

You've been made to feel guilty when it wasnt ur fault. let the customer know this and stand ur ground. if ur really worried get advice from ur local CAB i recon?

At the end of the day thats what u have insurance for but there is no point in claiming if u were not at fault so dont even go there.

stay in touch with ur customer over this to show ur annoyance at them blaming u and offer support. Use it as a valuable learning curve.

Good luck and let us no the outcome..:huh:

Make sure you're fully insured at all times to be safe for things like this.

It sounds impossible to be you, imagine what force would need to be applied to break the outside pane, and it's have to be harder to break the inside, so how you could have done it without smashing outside seems silly.

Let us know what happens, but can't be you from what's been said.

Your insurance company would probably not pay out as they would rule you were not at fault,and if they dont like the method of cleaning they should find a different window cleaner.I would think cleaning trad would put more pressure on the glass than cleaning with a pole and brush.I think what Paulie18 has said is a fair comment

Guest Paulie18

One more quick point. Unless the double-glazed unit in question - 750mm x 750mm, toughened - has a solid gold, diamond-studded cavity bar I'd have guessed its price at around the fifty quid mark. That means the window company wants around £800 labour for what is half an hour's work. Not bad, eh?

This at least gives an indication of where their scuples lie. Of course, you've got to earn your money, and not under-price yourself, but that quote is beyond contempt. If I'd been earning that sort of money when glazing I'd probably have Simon Cowell as a neighbour by now.

Guest colinvansmith

Sound well dodgy and physics would tell you its impossible to smash the inside pane without first breaking the ouside pane when it is hit from the outside as the force created from the momentum x mass of the wfp hitting the window would first half to travel through the outside pane, the energy from this hit would be at its greatest whislt hitting the outside pane where by the energy would be dissipated through out the outside pain thus less energy would be transferred to the inside pane long story short, you can smash the inside pain from the outside without damaging the outside pane to a higher degree

Sound well dodgy and physics would tell you its impossible to smash the inside pane without first breaking the ouside pane when it is hit from the outside as the force created from the momentum x mass of the wfp hitting the window would first half to travel through the outside pane, the energy from this hit would be at its greatest whislt hitting the outside pane where by the energy would be dissipated through out the outside pain thus less energy would be transferred to the inside pane long story short, you can smash the inside pain from the outside without damaging the outside pane to a higher degree

My dear colinvansmith

Your eloquent attempt at explaining my predicament in a scientific way has, I'm afraid, confused me slightly. Am I to understand that you CAN smash the inner pane (ref last sentence) or was it a typo, should read CAN'T smash...etc. It was late when you sent it :)

Thanks for your input and comments. I think I can formulate a reply to the customer.

G

Guest colinvansmith

My dear colinvansmith

Your eloquent attempt at explaining my predicament in a scientific way has, I'm afraid, confused me slightly. Am I to understand that you CAN smash the inner pane (ref last sentence) or was it a typo, should read CAN'T smash...etc. It was late when you sent it :)

Thanks for your input and comments. I think I can formulate a reply to the customer.

G

lol, long story short, you can't smash the inside pain from the outside without smashing the outside pain in the process

• 3 weeks later...

I called to see the customer today. He's had the window replaced by a local glazier at an all in cost of approx £130.

Glazier supplied him with a fact sheet he'd prepared 2002 "Why does a sealed unit break for no reason". It made quite interesting reading. I am absolutely confident that I wasn't to blame and that it is probably just 'one of those things'.

Customer doesn't want me to use pole system anymore, sadly, in these particular circumstances I don't feel I can continue to use traditional at his house. It would always be a source of 'PANE' to me! That and the fact I don't want to climb on his roof any longer, part of the reason for wfp in 1st place. So we have parted, with a handshake.

Thanks for all your comments

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.