Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hard Or Soft

what do you normally use?
mainly me wfp! lol ummm think its soft, its what ever the squeege came with. i only use it about 4-5 times a month but with winter coming up just wonderin what is better to use on the glass in the cold

Well, if your heavy handed then Hard rubber is better, if your gentle with your squeegee then soft is better.(sounds like a lot of inuendo there! /emoticons/tongue.png)

So it depends how you use it!

I personally dont think weather effects the rubber on the glass, ie hard is better in winter and soft for summer, just dont think thats true.

I also find hard lasts longer, as in doesnt get nicks and picks whatever in it, and the end of the rubber lasts longer then soft

So there you go I actually tought you something there RC! /emoticons/tongue.png

Well, if your heavy handed then Hard rubber is better, if your gentle with your squeegee then soft is better.(sounds like a lot of inuendo there! /emoticons/tongue.png)

So it depends how you use it!

I personally dont think weather effects the rubber on the glass, ie hard is better in winter and soft for summer, just dont think thats true.

I also find hard lasts longer, as in doesnt get nicks and picks whatever in it, and the end of the rubber lasts longer then soft

So there you go I astually tought you something there RC! /emoticons/tongue.png
oh right, cool, i have got hard and soft spare rubber, so i'll just play about to find what i get on better with then

Yes hard is suppose to be better in summer, I use soft all the time but just bought some hard as I dogeared the channels and the corners are wearing quick..

I've actually done a bit of geeking out on this subject myself over the month. Basically over the course of this month I have tried: Pullex hard, Unger 3 star, Ettore soft, Unger soft, and the red rubber that comes as standard with wagtails. For me there's no question, Unger Soft is the winner hands down. Like, by an extremely large amount. It glides wayy better on the glass, is easier to use when fanning, and you don't have to apply as much pressure on the handle pressing it into the glass for a good result. So it wins on all fronts (for me.) I had read that ettore soft was supposed to be softer than unger soft, but that's BS - I've got some sitting in a drawer downstairs and it's going to stay there because it's only a bit softer than the unger 3star. The Wagtail rubber is fairly hard, not as hard as pulex hard I think but still too hard for winter. I've wagga (I think it was wagga) saying he only uses it in summer so I switched it out for unger soft on my wagtail and the difference today was amazing, so much easier to cut in with and much nicer feel & results..

TLDR version: I've bought them all and tried them out this month to answer the same question you're asking. The answer is: Unger Soft is the best rubber.

The Wagtail rubber is fairly hard, not as hard as pulex hard I think but still too hard for winter. I've wagga (I think it was wagga) saying he only uses it in summer so I switched it out for unger soft on my wagtail and the difference today was amazing, so much easier to cut in with and much nicer feel & results.
Nice one. I shall try the Unger soft in my Wagtail....cheers /emoticons/smile.png .

I've actually done a bit of geeking out on this subject myself over the month. Basically over the course of this month I have tried: Pullex hard, Unger 3 star, Ettore soft, Unger soft, and the red rubber that comes as standard with wagtails. For me there's no question, Unger Soft is the winner hands down. Like, by an extremely large amount. It glides wayy better on the glass, is easier to use when fanning, and you don't have to apply as much pressure on the handle pressing it into the glass for a good result. So it wins on all fronts (for me.) I had read that ettore soft was supposed to be softer than unger soft, but that's BS - I've got some sitting in a drawer downstairs and it's going to stay there because it's only a bit softer than the unger 3star. The Wagtail rubber is fairly hard, not as hard as pulex hard I think but still too hard for winter. I've wagga (I think it was wagga) saying he only uses it in summer so I switched it out for unger soft on my wagtail and the difference today was amazing, so much easier to cut in with and much nicer feel & results..

TLDR version: I've bought them all and tried them out this month to answer the same question you're asking. The answer is: Unger Soft is the best rubber.
i appreciate the effort you put into these little tests of yours, but the answer is unger soft is the best rubber for you, and the way you work, its not gonna be whats best for everyone

Back