Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using Immersion Heater

WCF

Help Support WCF:

rcproperty

i know some guys use these for heating there water up and this is great, its cheap to install, if you only use it once or twice its cheap to run compared to a lot of other methods.

as there are a lot of people that are reccomending these to people that might not know what they are doing or unsure of it, i thought i would post up the vital part that hasn't been mentioned, the wiring side of it.

So here is the only safe and legal way to wire one up, if these are not wired up correctly using the correct graded wire, circuit and fuses then the wire can over heat and could cause the plug/socket in the house to catch fire or even the wires in the van to catch fire.

Immersion heaters are usually rated at 3KW which, under normal circumstances would qualify them for being wired into a ring main. However, because immersion heaters can be left on, taking 3kw from a ring circuit would reduce the circuits capacity immensely so Immersion heaters are placed on their own radial circuit.

The mains cable for an immersion heater is a two core and earth 2.5mm cable. This cable should run to a 20amp double pole isolator switch (With neon indicator light) from where a heat resistant 16amp cable or flex should run to the heater.

Since April 2004 new and replacement immersion heaters must be protected by an overheating safety cut out.

Please remember to make tight all electrical connections. Loose connections can cause fires.

Plugs running continuously at 13A have a tendency to overheat and this can be seen by scorch marks on both the plug and the socket.

Whether you use a plug and socket, or an FCU, you will still need to ensure that the immersion is on its own circuit. This means that no other appliances or socket outlets are on the same fuse or breaker at the fuse box.

If you are wiring this from scratch, then do what most electricians do - fit a 16A breaker at the fuse box and then fit a 20A double pole switch at the immersion heater end, instead of a 13A FCU or plug and socket.

just 2 pictures of 2 unlucky people that had theres incorrectly wired using the wrong wire and fues. might not happen to everyone, but could happen.

MELTED_TANK.jpg
IMG_0994.jpg

not again way dont you just leave it ,you got a L5 and most people think they are toliet but again you think you are right grow up most people have circuit breakers nowadays in the fuse board if not stick on the switch and that is done you will have a very cheap good system un like something 10 times the price and a ggas explosion waiting to happen

not again way dont you just leave it ,you got a L5 and most people think they are toliet but again you think you are right grow up most people have circuit breakers nowadays in the fuse board if not stick on the switch and that is done you will have a very cheap good system un like something 10 times the price and a ggas explosion waiting to happen
one, you know nothing about the regulations regarding electric and not nothing about gas!

like it says legaly you cant not do that, its not safe to do it without using the correct wires. these people in the pictures did have circuit breakers on!

and regarding the gas explosion, in the concept o2 company vans there gas bottles are straped and fitted under the van where the spare tyre goes! gas bottles are a lot safer than you think!

we can always find bad pictures of something that we dont like if we try to
its not that i dont like it atall, they are a good cheap idea. all im doing is bringing the safety issue up that you all forget about or care about.

not that it could happen, how would you feel if someone you told to fit one to hosuse burnt down due to all the information not given out?

it is amazing that you can tell from a picture that the fuse board had a circut breaker can you see thought pictures and though walls lol . I am sure fitted correctly gas bottles are fine but so is a wired up immersion heater but nobody is bringing picture up of gas explosions so why bring it up ,except that immersions are good and leave it

it is amazing that you can tell from a picture that the fuse board had a circut breaker can you see thought pictures and though walls lol . I am sure fitted correctly gas bottles are fine but so is a wired up immersion heater but nobody is bringing picture up of gas explosions so why bring it up ,except that immersions are good and leave it
it was on the discription from the place i got it from.

yes immersion heaters are as safe as houses WHEN USING THE CORRECT WIRE, FUSES AND ITS OWN CIRCUIT AS STATED ABOVE.

Enough please boys
all we are having is a disscusion from a person that knows about electic and gas fitting to someone that doesn't nothing wrong with that.

i just wouldnt like to think that i could of been responsible of something bad happening to someone that tried to fit one of these that dont know what they are doing,

Interesting point you have raised there rc,...diyers are mostly unaware of safety regs and risks involved in messing about with electric /emoticons/wink.png

Interesting point you have raised there rc,...diyers are mostly unaware of safety regs and risks involved in messing about with electric /emoticons/wink.png
Yer I thought that this point is brought up as, like you say diyers might not know what they are doing, it's easy to show someone. How to fit it, but nothing being shown on how to safely wire it up.

This forum is all about helping others safety with things, at the end of the day it's there lively hood on the line.

im thinking of gettin one of these as i saw on another post one guy that uses these and thinks they are the best thing for him.

i thought it would of been straight forward and i think i would of just wired it up with a normal extention lead, but after reading this i know how to do it now.

Don't want to disappoint anyone so there you go lads /emoticons/biggrin.png watch the big bang at the end,.... Booooooooooooooooooooooom!!!! :lol:

Don't want to disappoint anyone so there you go lads /emoticons/biggrin.png watch the big bang at the end,.... Booooooooooooooooooooooom!!!! :lol:

[media]

My van, what did u do to my van?????? You said u only wanted to borrow it for one job!

It would probably vaporise like you if unlucky enough to be trapped in the van at the time....

Yep, think how warm that water would be! That wouldn't freeze! Lol

Latest Posts

Back