Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Ladder size

mrtaytay

Hiya Folks

I have recently started my own round and invested in a ***an 3.5m trade ladder (it extends to 6.1m). Whilst the ladder is great, I find that I have hardly (if at all) had to use its maximum height. Its length seems to make it particualarly awkward and cumbersome in tight situations such as narrow alleyways. I am thinking of purchasing a 2.5m ***an trade ladder (it extends to 4.1m). Does anyone else feel the same about the longer ladders and do you think I would get away with the smaller one (in most situations)?. Just dont want to waste my money on the smaller one if it would be of no use.

Cheers

I think I will buy the shorter ladder. I can keep both on top of the car and then the taller ladder can be called upon when needed. I suspect the shorter ladder will be fine for 90% of my jobs and will be far less bother in tight areas.

Guest colinvansmith

You need a ladder around 5.5 metres any less is to small for a lot of houses any more and it will be awkward and catch on wires etc.

4.1 metres extended is too small!!

Guest kris122

Like mrtaytay I am having a little problem with ladders. I unfortunately have bought a telescopic ladder which is very nice, but quickly realised I have not done enough research as it is not up to the job. I am looking to do mainly 2 story houses and would like to extend the service to conservatories. Does anyone have a link to the best ladder available for the job. Thanks in advance. I will be cleaning trad style.

Guest kris122

I've bought a combination ladder. £80. It does the lot, step ladder, platform, normal ladder, it also has a handy little fold out step you can put on any rung and it looks very stable. I can't post it yet but love an opinion when I can.

Guest colinvansmith

I hope this will be good enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310325524106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Any opinions greatly received.

Send it back!! You will be using everday time and time again it will brake quickly and will not reach high enough, these ladders are not designed for heavy use!! you need to get a TRADE double extention laddeR.

making money in this business is all about finding ways to save time on each job you'll find that as your round gets bigger, the ladder you have bought will constantly cost you time trying to put it up and fold it down, the catches on it will jam as well costing you more time.

You won;t find any experienced window cleaner using a ladder like that

Guest kris122

I hope this will be good enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310325524106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Any opinions greatly received.

Send it back!! You will be using everday time and time again it will brake quickly and will not reach high enough, these ladders are not designed for heavy use!! you need to get a TRADE double extention laddeR.

making money in this business is all about finding ways to save time on each job you'll find that as your round gets bigger, the ladder you have bought will constantly cost you time trying to put it up and fold it down, the catches on it will jam as well costing you more time.

You won;t find any experienced window cleaner using a ladder like that

Advice taken on board. It's getting delivered tomorrow. I'll send it back with the courier. It just looked so nice. I think I like gadgets too much which is what drew me to it.

Guest kris122

I've had a good look around and have found that to get a double ladder would mean real problems in storage of the ladder as well as transporting it. I went to wickes and it just so happened they had a similar ladder as the one I have purchased and I even got to play around with it a bit. I might stick with it for now as speed is not my main priority at the moment. If I find I don't want to use it anymore or my storage issues are addressed I will probably get something more practical. A plus on the ladder is that it has a lifetime guarantee and when I don't use it for window cleaning anymore I will have a handy practical ladder for the DIY. Hope I don't end up eating my words.

Guest colinvansmith

I'm not trying to go on and on but the ladder you have ordered is not tall enough!!!!

How are you transporting the ladder, storage is an issue buy a trade triple extending ladder that extends to 6 metres that way closed it is still quite small but will last longer and won't brake on you.

I'm speaking from experience thats why i am so sure i started my business 3 years ago and when i first started out i bought a ladder similar to the one you have bought it wasn't long enough to reach all my jobs. It to had a guarantee and broke within 3 days. i had to send it back this costs time as well.

Its your money but don't waste it honestly

Guest colinvansmith

Looks ok. However be aware of Youngman ladders they don't have d shaped rungs they are boxed rungs and can hurt the soles of your feet when using them all day. I have a Youngmans and its a bit wobbly now the rungs are beginning to get loose. I also bought a Lite ladder before the youngmans its weighs less and is solid with d shaped rungs got it from ebay for £80 5.5m Also with youngmans its not the standard feet that fit on the bottom so they are more expensive to change and you will have to do this as they ware out. had a look on ebay couldnt see much just now but they come on all the time

• 1 month later...

I use Abru - Trade Triple Compact Extension Ladder ext to 4.7m. Just about get away with it with one or two "New Build" houses being differcult due to a porch roof... But. with the Abru Trade Stand Off it all clears well. Only 2m in length and only 10kg in weight. Good Reviews on various websites!!. Been using this ladder for the past 6 months with no problems.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.