Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder size

mrtaytay

Hiya Folks

I have recently started my own round and invested in a ***an 3.5m trade ladder (it extends to 6.1m). Whilst the ladder is great, I find that I have hardly (if at all) had to use its maximum height. Its length seems to make it particualarly awkward and cumbersome in tight situations such as narrow alleyways. I am thinking of purchasing a 2.5m ***an trade ladder (it extends to 4.1m). Does anyone else feel the same about the longer ladders and do you think I would get away with the smaller one (in most situations)?. Just dont want to waste my money on the smaller one if it would be of no use.

Cheers

I think I will buy the shorter ladder. I can keep both on top of the car and then the taller ladder can be called upon when needed. I suspect the shorter ladder will be fine for 90% of my jobs and will be far less bother in tight areas.

I use Abru - Trade Triple Compact Extension Ladder ext to 4.7m. Just about get away with it with one or two "New Build" houses being differcult due to a porch roof... But. with the Abru Trade Stand Off it all clears well. Only 2m in length and only 10kg in weight. Good Reviews on various websites!!. Been using this ladder for the past 6 months with no problems.

We just store our ladders on the roof racks over ***ht, and use these padlocks they are price'y but they last for years and don't rust.

For the ladders themselves we carry a 30ft set and a 20ft set. The 20ft set does for about 90% of the jobs we do so we use them most of the time. We use ladders4sale. There prices are pretty good.

As far as domestic/ trade ladders, it all depends really on what you weigh. If you are under 14 stone, then domestics will be fine. Bear in mind that domestics are going to be lighter and a bit easier to carrying around, if its an option for you then I would suggest using them instead of trade ladders.

20ft trade ladders would be fine for most people, but 30ft trades are pretty heavy, so you would definitely benefit from a lighter set, if you don't go over the duty rating. However if you are 14+ stone then there is no option, trades are the way to go.

I am just above nine stone (a short window cleaner at 5 foot six inch). I have got use to the 3.5 triton trade ladder now and wouldnt want to jeopordise my insurance. the high winds that we have had have also made me think about ladder weight. they would have an un manned domestic ladder down without any problem. I have also brought myself a trade combination ladder which has proved to be really useful around small terraced houses.

I have double checked this with my insurers as I have both trade and domestic ladders that we use on a regular basis, and it does not affect my insurance.

Yes, a lighter ladder will blow over before a heavier one will, however the weight of the ladders are still inly a fraction of what the operator weighs and once you are on the ladder, it would take quite heavy winds to blow you over.

We have a few techniques we use to deal with the wind:

1. Safety rack the ladders so they cant be blown over

1.1 Jam the ladder under the sill if the window is short and you can safely reach the top.

1.2 Rack the ladder within the frame of the window, so it would catch on the frame if it was to blow over.

2. Never leave the ladder unattended in high winds. Lay the ladder flat on the ground if you do have to walk away from it.

2.2 Work in a way that you don't have to leave the ladder unattended, for example carry the bucket of water from window to window, so you are never very far from the ladder when you re-soak you applicator.

9/10 times when the winds do start to blow our ladders about while we are racking them or are not on them, we will suspend work at that point until the winds ease off.

I have in the past persevered a little with it, but it is not worth the risk in my opinion. I have seen plenty of window cleaners, slaters, paint and decorators, even the guys that wallpaper the adverts on those big boards, working in conditions that we would never rack a ladder in.

If we do just have maybe one side of a building that is particularly windy but not too bad over all, we can use trad extension poles for those.

I weigh about 12.5 stone. However my dad is about 9 stone, although he doesn't work with me, if he did I would never expect him to use trade ladders. ok maybe 20ft trade but not 30ft trade, they would be too awkward, too heavy for him and he would be more likely to have an accident by loosing control of the ladders, than he would with a lighter set of domestic ladders.

This risk would be even more apparent when it light to medium winds, and although trade ladders would not blow over as easily when racked. If a 9 stone guy tried to move a 25/30 foot set of trade ladders when it was windy. He would be more likely to drop them if the wind was to catch them, than with a set of domestics that he could handle more easily.

I have double checked this with my insurers as I have both trade and domestic ladders that we use on a regular basis, and it does not affect my insurance.

Yes, a lighter ladder will blow over before a heavier one will, however the weight of the ladders are still inly a fraction of what the operator weighs and once you are on the ladder, it would take quite heavy winds to blow you over.

We have a few techniques we use to deal with the wind:

1. Safety rack the ladders so they cant be blown over

1.1 Jam the ladder under the sill if the window is short and you can safely reach the top.

1.2 Rack the ladder within the frame of the window, so it would catch on the frame if it was to blow over.

2. Never leave the ladder unattended in high winds. Lay the ladder flat on the ground if you do have to walk away from it.

2.2 Work in a way that you don't have to leave the ladder unattended, for example carry the bucket of water from window to window, so you are never very far from the ladder when you re-soak you applicator.

9/10 times when the winds do start to blow our ladders about while we are racking them or are not on them, we will suspend work at that point until the winds ease off.

I have in the past persevered a little with it, but it is not worth the risk in my opinion. I have seen plenty of window cleaners, slaters, paint and decorators, even the guys that wallpaper the adverts on those big boards, working in conditions that we would never rack a ladder in.

If we do just have maybe one side of a building that is particularly windy but not too bad over all, we can use trad extension poles for those.

I weigh about 12.5 stone. However my dad is about 9 stone, although he doesn't work with me, if he did I would never expect him to use trade ladders. ok maybe 20ft trade but not 30ft trade, they would be too awkward, too heavy for him and he would be more likely to have an accident by loosing control of the ladders, than he would with a lighter set of domestic ladders.

This risk would be even more apparent when it light to medium winds, and although trade ladders would not blow over as easily when racked. If a 9 stone guy tried to move a 25/30 foot set of trade ladders when it was windy. He would be more likely to drop them if the wind was to catch them, than with a set of domestics that he could handle more easily.
if you hurt someone with your ladder and end up in court and it is not a trade ladder regradless of what your insurance company say your up **** creek
where are you getting that from?, I have never heard of that before.

It would be different if you use a domestic ladder, and exceed the recommended duty rating, and that misuse of the ladder results in someone getting hurt. Sure then it is your fault.

But as far as I am concerned, if for instance, you use a domestic ladder, and someone knocks your ladder over which results in a car being damaged. My insurance company would cover this, and if I ended up in court. Where have I broken the law? what law says, you must use a duty rating over a certain weight while cleaning someone's window?

i have to use trade im a heavy weight over 16st lol.and the ladders are light and solid i use.

im not too up on the laws but when i worked on site doing building work ect we had to have trade ladders if health and safety walked on site and we didnt hae them we would have got shut down same applied to wooden ladders too.

ive no idea what the law is a window cleaner.

I am just above nine stone (a short window cleaner at 5 foot six inch). I have got use to the 3.5 triton trade ladder now and wouldnt want to jeopordise my insurance. the high winds that we have had have also made me think about ladder weight. they would have an un manned domestic ladder down without any problem. I have also brought myself a trade combination ladder which has proved to be really useful around small terraced houses.
jesus you are a feather weight old pal arnt yer lol i was 9st when i was 10 lol.

i have to use trade im a heavy weight over 16st lol.and the ladders are light and solid i use.

im not too up on the laws but when i worked on site doing building work ect we had to have trade ladders if health and safety walked on site and we didnt hae them we would have got shut down same applied to wooden ladders too.

ive no idea what the law is a window cleaner.

jesus you are a feather weight old pal arnt yer lol i was 9st when i was 10 lol.
that would be different, as many different operators would be using the ladders, and there would be no way to guarantee that they are all going to be under 14 stone. Domestics would also be unsuitable on a building site, because operators would be likely to be carrying heavy equipment and materials that would add to the duty rating.

That is not the case with window cleaners. But that may be were the idea comes from that domestics are not allowed.

That does not say that they can not be used, just that in many cases domestics will not be suitable for work use. But I can say without a doubt, that the domestics ladders that I use, are suitable for the activity that I use them for, and that they are used with accordance with the manufactures guidelines.

I would also be confident that if health and safety were to inspect the ladders that I use, there would not be any problem, and that common sense would prevail.

Further more, that is a employers guide for using ladders col, that is not law, its recommendations. But is also ***ue (like almost everything from H&S) and does not say that domestics ladders should never be used by window cleaners.

further up from the quote you have taken, it says this:

"12 HSE and BERR recommend Class 1 2,3 ‘Industrial’ or EN 131 4 ladders or stepladders for use at work. Make sure the ladder is a suitable size for the work."

Just a recommendation, is some cases domestics are suitable. For other forum members, the link we are talking about is:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg402.pdf

I found this online;

http://www.county-safety-services.com/_docs/misc613.pdf

on the last paragraph of the second page, it does say that class 3 ladders are not recommended for window cleaning, but can be used, but they will not last as long as trade ladders and will require replacing more often.

Back