Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

advertising methods

Guest hibbitt-h20

Guest hibbitt-h20

hi,

what advertising methods do we all use to gain new business?

I have a sign written van, leaflets and business cards and website which work ok but i would really like to have a bit of a boost in income.

does anyone canvas at the door? I have thought of this but I dont really want to come across as pushy.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Alfred

Guest washerman

Hi there Alfred,

the only way that i get new buissnes is knocking door to door (exept for reverals ofc) i found the best way is to keep it really short and sweet and i never push not in the slightest>

My normal pater is just "im a window cleaner in the loacal area, and im looking for new customers" and thats as complicated as it gets never had anyone get irate with me and the worst ive had is a firm NO! but on a good day ive gained 15 and a bad couple of hours ive had 2 ppl answer the door! btu you just have to keep knocking.

Oh i wouldnt be worried about ppl thinking you r pushy for the most part ppl often coment that its good to see someone getting of their backside to better themselfs.

Hope this was of some help.

Mark

Alfred

I have found the same as Mark with door knocking. Most people are really nice, so long as you keep it shoet and swet and have good manners. Most of my business, although only been going three months, has been gained using this method. Have you had much business via your website?

Guest colinvansmith

Hi guys you will find everyone has different methods for various reasons there is no hard and fst rule i personally in order of most effective for me first being the best

1) word of mouth/referrals

2) leaflets direct mail

3) van sign writing

4) yell.com medium weight ad

5) website

To be most effective you really need six different streams of advertising and its worth working out what percentage of each seperate stream bring in what percentage of business can be an effective tool of knowing where to focus your efforts.

I personally have neever canvassed don't like waiting on people answering doors etc. but each to there own

You can't just rely on one form of advertising,internet sign writing on motor word of mouth leaflets work clothes and canvassing are all ways to increase awareness of your business and you often hear don't ever see a windie down my road but in reality probably have at least two working their street just not aware of them.also speaking to passerbys and dropping in the comment that your cleaning windows you be surprised what work you'll get from just being friendly safety signs with window cleaner at work :-)

I have had a free listing on Yell.com for about 3 weeks now, but not received any calls because of it. I received a phone call from them yesterday, asking if I fancied paying for a premium advertising spot. It would cost 160 quid per year and would ensure that my listing appeared at the top of any window cleaning search in yell.com for my area. Has anyone paid to advertise on yell and found it effective....or just a waste of money?

I paid for a touch local and a mate had a yell.com ad for a year,canceled it and compared the year with and without and there wasn't much difference. Best to get a website and domain name co.uk and and advertise on back of motor and every time you reply to a text sign with you web address put on your business cards and recipts etc Google places is worth getting on,but key is to have it optimised so you get the interest in the areas you want work in

Door knocking is definitely the way to go, next year we are considering employing temporary staff over the summer purely for canvasing. We have always found that canvasing is the way to go.

Yeah keep it polite, we usually just go with "Hi, we clean a few of your neighbours windows, and wondered if you would be interested?". The only thing with canvassing is that to really get the benefit you need to do it in the evenings after 5.30/6pm.

cant stand knocking on doors and i dont like my door been knocked at tea time it realy p1sses me off lol.

all ive done is put flyers threw letterboxes offering them the option to e.mail txt or phone sometimes its 3 weeks befor they ring but one phone call gets me 4 or more houses in that street as they will come out and say are you the guy who posted the flyers:)

i have sign writen van website and cards.

• 1 month later...
Guest DoubleACleaningServices

What kind of hit rate do you expect from leafleting?

Is it more beneficial to just go knocking doors for a quick boost?

The New Year needs a massive boost in customers before the summer comes.

I generally expect 1 to 2 customers per 100 leaflets, on average which would take about 2 hours to put out depending on what area you do, long sloped gardens ecc.

For door knocking it can be more like 3 customers per hour on average. However you do get the little clusters. I have gone out at times and picked up every second door I knocked on some streets. Then on others absolutely none.

Try not get to bogged down with what you should get on average though, the best thing to do is just get out there and start knocking. Pop a business card through the doors you don't get in, and you cant go wrong.

It takes allot of time, but you will get there.

I have had a free listing on Yell.com for about 3 weeks now, but not received any calls because of it. I received a phone call from them yesterday, asking if I fancied paying for a premium advertising spot. It would cost 160 quid per year and would ensure that my listing appeared at the top of any window cleaning search in yell.com for my area. Has anyone paid to advertise on yell and found it effective....or just a waste of money?

I have a free listing on Yell.com but also pay the £160 for the year, I also pay extra to be Number 1 for 'Stafford Window Cleaners' on Yell & Google.

You have no idea how much its worth it. I gained that many new customers from it, it actually paid well over the add price itself. I was astonished.

They also send you reviews of how many people are clicking on your add etc so you can keep up to date with it.

In my view unless you have your own company website and boost it to number 1 spot on Google, you wont find another better advertising option.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DoubleACleaningServices

How much business do you guys get from your websites and how are you increasing the traffic to it?

anyone using adwords or other similar things to increase it?

also where is the best place to buy leaflets from as i only use business cards at the moment, im not sure if they will work any better or not?

I've had my facebook fanpage for about 2-3 months now and you can see for yourself how many 'likes' I have.

www.facebook.com/JPWC1

I generated this through word of mouth, business cards, fliers, and best of all canvassing. It's taken my business to the next level and filled me up with enough work for the year, looking to expand now.

James.

We have a mag that comes out in our village as do most villages around me. It costs next to nothing to put an ad in and it's surprising how many people pay 50p to buy one plus it goes in doctor surgeries libraries. Amazing how many people read it and I've had great results from it.

We have a mag that comes out in our village as do most villages around me. It costs next to nothing to put an ad in and it's surprising how many people pay 50p to buy one plus it goes in doctor surgeries libraries. Amazing how many people read it and I've had great results from it.

I've heard this before. I ive in a 'biggish' town and the surrounding villages are very 'village orrientated' and have their own local paper. Always wondered if it's worth me dropping an advertisement in there.

If you have had great results I might give it a try. How much did it cost you to advertise with them Posh? & Do you know how many people buy the paper (have you asked the editor how many he gives the village shop, libraries etc, just to work out a rough calculation).

Thanks alot, James.

I've found Twitter is a great way to spread your web site around. In my area leaflets are a waste of time. Phoning companies is a good way to get commercial work. Ask reception who is responsible for the windows and email/write or phone back and ask for them directly.

I've found Twitter is a great way to spread your web site around. In my area leaflets are a waste of time. Phoning companies is a good way to get commercial work. Ask reception who is responsible for the windows and email/write or phone back and ask for them directly.

Yes I've found phoning companies directly has worked extremely well. Got quite a few jobs from doing it this way.

James.

• 1 month later...
Guest irfan

I think your community and friends are the best way of advertisement. You should have very good terms with your relatives and specially friends. They are very good source of advertisement. You can openly offer some share also with them. Meanwhile your door to door practice is also very good.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.