Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Public liability Insurance

Guest Browntea

Recommended Posts

Guest Browntea

Hi folks,


I'm new here and thinking about starting a round in the YO18 area,


I've lurked on the forum for a while now but have not seen many posts on PL insurance, my question is do we have to have it? I know it would be wise to but could I get away with it short term....?


Any more start up tips very welcome indeed


Thanks for your help

Link to comment
Guest badbusdriver

No, its not worth the risk, if something happens, you could find youself well and truly up that brown smelly creek with no paddle!. It isnt expensive, at least not for wfp, which is what i do. If memory serves i paid about £65 last renewal, for £1,000,000 cover.

Link to comment
Guest badbusdriver

I cant remember for certain without asking the boss (the wife!) to look it up in my paperwork, but im pretty sure the company is called ceta. If you go to www.windowcleaningresources.co.uk you will find a listing just for insurance providers, thats where i went to start with. But bear in mind, if you are doing traditional window cleaning, i think it is more expensive.

Link to comment
Guest colinvansmith

In Scotland we have to be licenced. In order to get a licence one of the criteria we need is a minimum of 5 millon pounds with of liability insurance. Mine is £16 per month for one person then each additional person is £6 extra thats through simply business. However thats using wfp method and some companies won't touch you until you have at least three years experience. Defo get some though if you hurt someone by mistake whilst working and your not insured you are up **** creek big time.

Link to comment
Guest badbusdriver

Hey Col, i dont know where in scotland you are, but things seem to be a little more laid back here in the north east!. I have a licence myself, but i have been told that many other windys dont bother getting one. I simply filled in a form, sent it away with a photo and the fee, cant remember what it was, but i think it was about £50. The licence is valid for 3 years, but there was no mention of whether or not i had PL insurance. The guy who trained me said 1 million would be fine for doing houses, but a business may require me to have 5. My license runs out in may, and i will be renewing it, so i will find out then if things have changed!.

Link to comment
Guest maximus

I have insurance through simply business and I only pay £80 for £5 million public liability, for the year. I havent had to use it yet-so Im not sure how good they are at paying out! i havent got personnel/accident insurance yet though-it all seems too expensive and doesnt pay out enough-anyone know any good ones?

Link to comment

I'd check out Hiscox Insurance.

I pay £200 a year for 5million, but unlike a lot of suckers I'm insured for damaging work I am working on, most window cleaners don't look through their policy and get stuck paying for things they break on the job they shouldn't have to.

And i'm also insured for cleaning multiple things, as I do any exterior cleaning and a lot of interior, I just checked, I pay £291 a year.

I do wonder how people think they are covered for every eventuality of breakages/damages at work and expect it all to be covered for less than £100 :|

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.


If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.