Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder And Cloth Questions?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Your not ment to put them on the guttering,

1- it could break, costing you money to repair.

2- could break and ladder then slip so you fall.

3- ladder can slip without breaking guttering.

even with that bit of wood in the guttering it could break the guttering . As guttering gets older it becomes very brittle so be careful

When was the last time you inspected that ladder? I personally would bin it as the bottom tread is bent.

1. ladder has a bent first tread (step) - unsafe to use

2. ladder is resting on guttering - ladder could break guttering/joints and/or could slip sideways

3. damaged ladder is set on what looks like a slippery surface - nothing to stop it slipping backwards while working on your own.

All in all not a very smart way to work if you ask me :rolleyes:

What is a matter with the ladder???

1. ladder has a bent first tread (step) - unsafe to use2. ladder is resting on guttering - ladder could break guttering/joints and/or could slip sideways

3. damaged ladder is set on what looks like a slippery surface - nothing to stop it slipping backwards while working on your own.

All in all not a very smart way to work if you ask me :rolleyes:

What is a matter with the ladder???
My god I thought I did well but well done on spotting that bend!!

Don't mean to sound too harsh but lets just say I've learnt the hard way buzzing /emoticons/wink.png

If ur binning it send it to me' date=' if that bottom rung causes an accident I will pay ur compensation[/quote']if it does cause an accedent im sure you wouldnt be able to afford the compensation for it! it can run in the £10,000's

one company that had a death when using a damaged ladder got this fine:-

The company pleaded guilty to three health and safety offences. It was fined £200,000 for a breach of s2(1) of the HSWA 1974 – by failing to ensure the safety of employees, in relation to work at height and use of ladders

then in total another £100,000 in fines for other things too!!!

if it does cause an accedent im sure you wouldnt be able to afford the compensation for it! it can run in the £10,000's
one company that had a death when using a damaged ladder got this fine:-

The company pleaded guilty to three health and safety offences. It was fined £200,000 for a breach of s2(1) of the HSWA 1974 – by failing to ensure the safety of employees, in relation to work at height and use of ladders

then in total another £100,000 in fines for other things too!!!
If, it can. could... All if and buts..

What was that companys turnover? Comparing that incident to a small window cleaning company is just plane wrong. lol. Its in a whole different league

If, it can. could... All if and buts..
What was that companys turnover? Comparing that incident to a small window cleaning company is just plane wrong. lol. Its in a whole different league
got nothing to do with the turn over! it was a pub! they supplied the ladder to a cleaner and he fell and died.

Give the lad a break' date=' enough of the H&S **** its really getting a bit of a joke now.....[/quote']agreed, yes a stand off would be preferable but you can rest a ladder on gutters, we've all done it a thousand times and as long as your careful you'll be ok, the bottom rung has a 'slight' bend, i seriously dont think it would ever cause an issue.i know your all gonna say 'but what if?' and 'iv seen it happen' etc etc blah blah blah. realistically the ladder setup is fine for a conservatory where yould only be about 5ft up the ladder anyway. some people on here need a reality check, h & s is important and so is protecting yourself but be serious, its not that bad

The bottom rung has a 'slight' bend' date=' i seriously dont think it would ever cause an issue.[/quote']GM and everyone esle here..

I am not getting into H&S stuff here but from what I read on this forum a while ago Paul(Moderator) who used to use this forum I remember him saying..

That if the bottem rung on a ladder has been damaged or broken, then this takes out the whole strenght of the ladder and should be rendered unusable...

Back