Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just woke up to snow

laddergarder

Just wondering what everyone does when they get hit with snow. Normally we take the stance that when its just landed the roads will be bad and its not worth risking the vans getting damaged and losing more days while they are in the garage.

Once the roads clear we generally get back out though and use extension poles if we have to, to get a little bit of work done.

Anyone persevere in the snow? or do you take a little bit of time off to let it clear as well?

^^ Sound a bit harsh mate.

i work through snow as much as I can, I have driven quite some distance in very deep snow so don't even consider crashing an option as I'm a good driver.

I have to earn money so I have to work.

It was really slippy yesterday what with snow being on ice but once I'm at a job I'm safe, I pick roads that are best suited and if I lose some time travelling so be it.

My time travelling isn't much in my opinion, and once I'm at a job safe and sound I can crack on no probs.

Each to their own on these things, what I consider ok some may consider bad, yet what i consider bad some may consider ok still so i let my own judgement guide me.

I did manage to get a little done yesterday with trad poles, but I stayed off the ladders as the driveways etc were pretty icey, and there was a definite chance of ladders slipping out, so I just played it safe. It was not just the vans getting damaged that I was considering, staff safety was a concern as well.

Your post was little harsh buddy but no offence taken. I don't get what you mean by " that of it being you're (company?) stance not to go out in snow". But we are not a company, just a small business.

No probs, we are not that different though, I am a self employed window cleaner just like yourself. I was working full time in a local shop, but was only getting 30 hours a week for min wage, so started window cleaning part time, then about a year later, the shop went into liquidation, and I lost my job. I began building up my round with some pretty good success. So a couple of years ago I took on my first employee and now have two vans on the road. At the moment we cant really take on too many more customers so I am thinking of taking another man on in the summer. All in all I have been cleaning window for about 5 years now, and its probably the best thing I ever did.

Back