Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window Cleaning Lincence England

david247

right okay i might have a drink or two but hear it goes my rant.

I haven't been in this business long, but for this short time iv seen people who i think are doggy as hell.

by what i mean that they thow health and safty though the window dont care about customers and its just squalid as hell though people who are bring down the industry.

this is my case i wear proper PPE im suited and booted i have insurance proper equipment.

YET i see these people around me having a half cut bomber jacket carrying ladders with a crappy bucket just wiping the class over with a shammy. and they getting more customers than ive seen in a year.

also im having money taken out of benefit as i don't have enough customers yet and people getting away with tax invasion/benefit fraud because of cheap cash in hand.

rant over

Well if u stick it out ull be at the top in no tym /emoticons/smile.png ull eventually get their

I totally agree. I think that a competent persons scheme should be set up for window cleaning. This is already in place for many other trades. It should require a minimum (simple) qualification and register. An association would be tasked with running it (ie FWC or Window Cleaning Academy). The customer can be confident that they have a trustworthy tradesman at the house with a basic knowledge of his trade as well as health and safety. The cost could be kept below £100 / year. It would dilute all the rotten wood we have in the trade. I think there are some very good window cleaners out there with the minimum tools but we all see the drink money guys!

i dont mind paying 100 pound a year for a license even if it was 200 quid a year i would still be happy /emoticons/smile.png it takes all the rogue window cleaners of the streets

i dont mind paying 100 pound a year for a license even if it was 200 quid a year i would still be happy /emoticons/smile.png it takes all the rogue window cleaners of the streets
yer but does it? theres all these laws in place for gas fitters and electritions etc but recently my neighbour got a boiler fitted by a cowboy who wasn't gas safe ( I know its there fault for not checking but people don't). Also it how would they police it? its like a fishing licence Ive been fishing for over 15 years and I go quite often usually for 2 days and nights at a time and in all that time ive been asked for my licence just once. it would be interesting to know how they do it in Scotland and if the guys there get regular checks when working and by who

join them then, the problem is as much as we see our self as professional people, most custys see us as doley window cleaners, we are ten a penny, then can replace us any tme

try this test, next time some on says how it is going, tell them the truth , a wc averages £30 a hour and should easily make £150-£200 a day, and when they say thats a lot, say well i am a professional, and i am worth it,

regarding not having enough custys, get out knocking,

To be honest my old windie (deceased, cancer bless him) was totally above board and he used a bucket and chamois, he did a mint job and if he was still alive he'd still be doin em. He only charged me £3 as well but then I used to pick up his dogs drugs from vet when I went to my mums lol.

And he cleaned the frames at that.

you took the words right out of my mouth

There's no point in having a register. All the professional window cleaners will join and pay for it but the doleys, foreigners etc will still come out with a ladder and bucket and pick up the people who want their windows cleaned for nothing. No different to now.

There's no point in having a register. All the professional window cleaners will join and pay for it but the doleys, foreigners etc will still come out with a ladder and bucket and pick up the people who want their windows cleaned for nothing. No different to now.
But theyll think twice

A register (competent persons scheme), will not get rid of all cowboys, it should not judge someone by how many tools they have got and it should definitely not decide what a windy should charge. However, from the customers point of view they will be able to check themselves if the window cleaner is listed (probably via the Internet), they will also be able to check an I'd card and a vehicle sticker with an I'd number. With a licences person on their property they will be safe in the knowledge of safety at work for them, their property and the cleaner himself, they will have added security and back up, so will the member. We will be looked at in a more professional manner and treated as such. In the case of the dodgy boiler man; because there is a registration and minimum knowledge required by law, he can be prosecuted. It would simply be basic knowledge and security. The reason we are all on here is because we take window cleaning just that slight bit more serious. Don't stop the fun though.

A badge should be worm at all times? But reeli we just leave it in the car or our pocket lol

It would get rid of the beer windies, I mean it kinda works in scotland, it would be better then nothing surly?

Window cleaning industry needs to be regulated! Its the only industry which isnt!

It would get rid of the beer windies, I mean it kinda works in scotland, it would be better then nothing surly?

Window cleaning industry needs to be regulated! Its the only industry which isnt!
Get a petition sorted

Back