Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Start Up Nerves Pressure Washing

johnny bravo

Hi guys , i was wondering if any of you experienced guys doing pressure washing if you would share your experiences when getting your first ever petrol pressure washer , had you any mishaps when setting up your equipment or nerves starting your first driveway clean, any mistakes pricing mistakes, how did you transport your gear if you didnt have a van, any big headaches starting out,, what kept you going when few have sold gear on and called it a day.

it will make interesting reading and hopefully provide us with a few chuckles.

Never done pressure washing but work in a lot of premises that have it done the most common complaint is water coming in the property on to carpets damaged ceilings where a flat roof patio has been blasted paths lovely and clean but the walls have now become covered in the dirt so the mistake seems to be pressure related and being to focused on the job and not the bigger picture other problems have been power sockets ripped from walls where there's not be enough hose to reach the edges of the job these are examples from the last three premises I visited all same contractor

So you price up a job and it takes you twice as long as you thought - big deal. You still make money, everybody has done it loads of times, thats how you learn. There is no other way, you learn everything by making mistakes.

My tips are be very fussy with every job , dont use full pressure everywhere, wash everything down afterwards with a fan jet at least 25* , first jobs start al low revs then build up till your happy with the clean and the pace , when you finish DONT tidy your stuff away , go see customer and ask em to have a look around and see if they are happy THEN pack up, buy a good yard brush, when starting your machinme always have the lance in your hand with the trigger pulled on , its easier on engine, if using a turbo nozzle only ever aim it at what you want too clean ,( i blasted it accidentally at a neighbours wall once and ended up having tae clean the whole thing lol) after youve cleaned whatever your cleaning check around , spray goes everywhere , wash down walls windies etc like it was your own hoose, and clean your equipment after every job , sand gets everywhere, and for goodness sake DONT buy cheap chinese powerwashers and equipment they are ****.

newbie123, you must be talking about electric power washers to rip sockets from wall. if its not a regular cleaning customer they will use pressure washer on conny etc, blasting seals , get paid and walk away, word gets round no one will want them anymore.

Whats this the spanish inquisition /emoticons/biggrin.png

Yes I done loads, and no I've not messed up yet. How about your experiences so we can have a few chuckies on you. :rolleyes:

Hi guys , i was wondering if any of you experienced guys doing pressure washing if you would share your experiences when getting your first ever petrol pressure washer , had you any mishaps when setting up your equipment or nerves starting your first driveway clean, any mistakes pricing mistakes, how did you transport your gear if you didnt have a van, any big headaches starting out,, what kept you going when few have sold gear on and called it a day.it will make interesting reading and hopefully provide us with a few chuckles.

Sound advice /emoticons/wink.png

My tips are be very fussy with every job ' date=' dont use full pressure everywhere, wash everything down afterwards with a fan jet at least 25* , first jobs start al low revs then build up till your happy with the clean and the pace , when you finish DONT tidy your stuff away , go see customer and ask em to have a look around and see if they are happy THEN pack up, buy a good yard brush, when starting your machinme always have the lance in your hand with the trigger pulled on , its easier on engine, if using a turbo nozzle only ever aim it at what you want too clean ,( i blasted it accidentally at a neighbours wall once and ended up having tae clean the whole thing lol) after youve cleaned whatever your cleaning check around , spray goes everywhere , wash down walls windies etc like it was your own hoose, and clean your equipment after every job , sand gets everywhere, and for goodness sake DONT buy cheap chinese powerwashers and equipment they are ****.[/quote']

great advice donny. had you used a trailer or always had a van
ive always had both, bought van then got towbar fitted and bought an 8x6 trailer 2nd hand , have an IBC in it and a gx390 and various lengths of hoses and boxes of fittings for taps and spare quick release stuff, spare lances and very importantly wd40 lol

how does it put pressure on the machine by not having lance on when starting up.
Because your trying too turn the engine and the pump over if the trigger is pulled the pressure is instantly released so less chance off stalling the motor, dunno the exact science but it was a tip i learnt years ago , just try both methods youll soon see why havin the trigger pulled on start up is easier all round, it just spins easier so less pressure on your recoil, oh another tip, always have a spare recoil starter , the rope never snaps at a handy moment lol

well smurf my worst was gutter cleaning. very hahhy cleaning with an eastern trading 3000 vac, just paid £800 in total as had new camera fitted on top arm, anyway cleaning over conservatory roof and what happened made me cry, i cant of tightened the clip tight enouth on the joint, the top section fell off into the gutter with the camera fitted., had to go b+q buy a harris pole, extend it fully and lever it towards me, took about 2 hours to retrieve it, put it back on , screwed back on to alloy pole. a long job. now i just use tripple alloys, extended harris pole, a potato masher from pound shop , hammered into shape i need, rake gutter debris towards me, bucket it up and down i go. use ladder stand offs, flat and corner stand off for extra security and safety. take photo of interior gutters to show client, all pleased. we all learn from small mistakes, hopefully it will help others starting. i wont do job if not 100% confident on ladders life can be short if you fall.

Can happen to the best of us,... Was one of my first rookie mistakes too using a guttervac /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back