Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

claiming for expenses

Guest petehughesy

Guest petehughesy

just sorting my tax return out and wondering what you guys claim for, i claim for the usual stuff, but i know people who claim for all sorts, just after some advice

• 2 weeks later...

Claim for everything and anything, equipment, for example, work shoes, trousers etc. Petrol/Diesel. I even claim for train tickets for work venues. It's amazing what you can claim for, just research it on the net.

Yep I claim for all things work related.

BUT- Spoke to my accountant & HMRC & they both told me, that as a sole trader, you CANNOT put through as an expense work that you buy.

Im buying work for £4000, and I can't claim it as an expense- So that's £800 of tax im not going to save- Doh.

Most folk dont realise that- I didn't!

I know yea. It's just I'd like to save the £800 tax bill as it IS a work expense, no questions. It's a technicality that I cant claim it. If you bought a £4000 van system, you'd claim that as expenses.

I know yea. It's just I'd like to save the £800 tax bill as it IS a work expense, no questions. It's a technicality that I cant claim it. If you bought a £4000 van system, you'd claim that as expenses.

Yeah the system kinda sucks like that unfortunately :(

& Yes I guess you could pay a canvasser for work Dave!

James.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.