Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

how long did it take

Guest jambo113

Guest jambo113

hi just wondering how long it took everyone to get to 100 customers, ive been going for a couple of months now and struggling to get a substantial round built up ive been trying all sorts im getting about 3-4 new customers a week and not even halfway to my target.

3 or 4 customers a week isn't too bad buddy, it really isn't an over ***ht thing building a round. I have been at it now for a about 5 years, and we have over 600 customers now. But I started out just like you, picking up a few new customers each week, and getting out door knocking and flyer dropping as often as I could.

Just keep at it!

Guest badbusdriver

I was just thinking the same thing laddergarder, 3-4 new customers a week sounds pretty reasonable to me!. Though i suppose if starting from scratch with no other income that may well seem frustratingly slow. I bought part of a large round off another window cleaner, thats how i got started, and because i then already had enough to pay the bills, i havnt really bothered about canvassing or advertising. More customers keep trickling in, mainly through word of mouth, and people seeing my van, so i aint complaining, esp given the current economic climate!. Keep at it Jambo!.

Guest jambo113

thanks. you said you bought a round to start with whats the price you pay for a round seen someone selling one on ebay for 900pound and its for 145 worth of work a month thats like 6x the monthly income is that right?

Guest badbusdriver

That, unfortunately, is one of those 'how long is a bit of string' questions!. It really boils down to whether or not someone is willing to pay that price, which in turn, for you, means sitting down and working out if it would be a viable option for you, from a financial point of view right now (i.e, can you afford to pay out £900 right now). In the long term, if you can afford it, and as long as the work being sold is 'good', that is, reliable good paying customers, then yes it would be worth while buying it, as thats going to work out at £1740 per year, or a little more if it is per 4 weeks. For what its worth, bearing in mind i am no expert on the going rate for work, it seems a little steep, i would have thought 4 x monthly income a better price, so if you do go for it, try to knock the price down a bit. Have you been on www.windowcleaningresources.co.uk?, they have a work for sale section, might be worth a look?.

Guest colinvansmith

you will find as you become more experienced and find what your customers are looking for your finger will be more on the pulse and you'll pick up customers quicker than before, my advice keep changing your leaflets, canvassing technique, and areas until you find out what works best for you there are so many variable that you need to constantly adjust your stratedgy, it does become easier with time just stick at it. to start with i literally put leaflets out 8 hours a day every day for a solid month come rain hale or shine then cut back to about 4 hours a day, i constantly changed my lealfet until i was getting the best results, i still put out an average of 600 lealfets a week it ongoing always, as you pick up more and more customers you'll get more through word of mouth and people stopping you in the street, every area is different sometimes offering the first clean free or a free inside window clean free helps, sometime putting an approx. price on your leaflet helps (not including conservatory's) just keep trying something new until you get it right, it worth it in the end

Guest jambo113

thanks for the advice col ill keep on with the leaflets ive got a few ideas i want to change on my next batch did you buy high quality gloss ones or just the plain one colour leaflets? what did you find worked best?

Hiya Jambo

I am like you...started my round part time (weekends and days off) back in August and then started full time in November after redundancy. I have about 70 customers now and getting about 3/4 per week without canvassing. Canvassing is definitely the most effective way to get customers. However, I have been posting my vista print business cards through letter boxes and getting quite a few phone calls because of this. Its amazing, sometimes, how long the delay is between dropping off the leaflet/business card and the customer actually phoning you. I had a request for a quote on saturday from a card that I had delivered back in november!!. Best of luck mate.

Guest jambo113

thanks ive just picked up 3 new customers today from leaflets i put out last week i feel a bit guilty thow because one of them already had a window cleaner but aparantly he wouldnt do the back cause it was to much hassle walking down the allys

I started in my hometown in Suffolk in July... I do not drive because of my eyesight over distance being poor... I currently work for the local council and when I finish work (anytime between 12 - 3pm) I pick myself up and go out a clean windows. Also weekends (Inc. Sunday if need be) I have built my round up to 98 Customers now and I am feeling good and learning all the time. New Jobs can take twice as long because the frames and sils are heavy in grime. But. my regulars are "money for old rope"... I have put lots of barriers in my way over the months and I will continue to do so... But. i feel that i am in a better place now than what I was when I started... I have x3 sets of ladders dotted about round friends lock up areas covering corners of my town and I simply bike to my ladders and off I go... I save on fuel... I hope to go full time in April... At present I have nearly 100 customers and to earn a wage like what I have now with my PAYE job I need to double my workload... I have every intention of canvassing and leaflet dropping and plan to drop the bomb on area where I currently have work in Feb... Now my round is building up more, it is making my mobility loads easier.. I think I was trying too hard and keeping it simple is the key when starting out I think. I cannot express enough how that this forum is a huge part in my motivation. Windows Cleaners on the website are first class...

thanks ive just picked up 3 new customers today from leaflets i put out last week i feel a bit guilty thow because one of them already had a window cleaner but aparantly he wouldnt do the back cause it was to much hassle walking down the allys

well done pal do not feel guilty mate ones mans loss is anothers gain and if he couldnt be assed goint to the back then its his fault.

this is business and you cant be kind in it.

just think would he feel bad taking work off you??;)

I started in my hometown in Suffolk in July... I do not drive because of my eyesight over distance being poor... I currently work for the local council and when I finish work (anytime between 12 - 3pm) I pick myself up and go out a clean windows. Also weekends (Inc. Sunday if need be) I have built my round up to 98 Customers now and I am feeling good and learning all the time. New Jobs can take twice as long because the frames and sils are heavy in grime. But. my regulars are "money for old rope"... I have put lots of barriers in my way over the months and I will continue to do so... But. i feel that i am in a better place now than what I was when I started... I have x3 sets of ladders dotted about round friends lock up areas covering corners of my town and I simply bike to my ladders and off I go... I save on fuel... I hope to go full time in April... At present I have nearly 100 customers and to earn a wage like what I have now with my PAYE job I need to double my workload... I have every intention of canvassing and leaflet dropping and plan to drop the bomb on area where I currently have work in Feb... Now my round is building up more, it is making my mobility loads easier.. I think I was trying too hard and keeping it simple is the key when starting out I think. I cannot express enough how that this forum is a huge part in my motivation. Windows Cleaners on the website are first class...

sounds good mate you sound like a classic windy lol what i always wonder tho is how do you get buy once your detailing cloth is wet??and ive always wondered this.

im in a van and i carry alot of cloths and use loads in a day.

you sound like your doing well and have it mapped out good look bro:)

At present. I have not really landed the problem with my detailing cloths as I only do 3 or 4 houses after my current PAYE job... But. "Yes" you do have a point... I work all day Saturday's and occasional Sunday's... I am constantly thinking ahead and you have raised a good point. In the past on a Saturday I have gone out with 4 detailing cloths... They are quite big about 1/2 meters sq... I can do about 3 or 4 normal sized houses before it gets too wet to use. So. I just about get away with it... I have a small ruck sack on my back in which I carry Microfibres and Cloths and I also fit in x2 3 ltr bottles of water... I have had more trouble with water really. But. I have got friendly with customers and use outdoor taps here and there. I have an Unger Belt, with a holster on one side and a Under pouch on the other. The Unger Pouch gives me the room to have a wet and dry cloth in, a bottle of CIF... I am constantly thinking of ways to improve my service and i try and keep things simply... When I started (you may laugh!) I was always thinking of ways to carry a set of ladders around on my bike!... I did at first too... But. apart from being dangerous. It slows ya down too much. I then after a couple of months thought to myself "stop thinking this way" and that is when I decided to talk to customers etc. Find out where I can store ladders, water and even cloths and I use my bike and go to the work. I put bars on my wifes car and i have a few houses that are on the outskirts of the town. So, when the mother-in-law wants to look after out little girl, my wife drives me about and reads a book whilst I clean clean clean ("Yes" she could give me a hand... But. we won't go there lol)... Also... I rather clean windows then put up with the mother-in-law lol... I still have a long way to go. I only have 100 customers. But. I have managed to hold down a PAYE Job and get all my work done. The weather has been on my side. It has been very mild in suffolk. Had a week of wind. But. that is about it really. Just got to keep pluggin' way at it. Because like you said to me in earlier messages that working for yourself is loads better than working for a boss who is going to stich you up at a drop... Cheers

Guest colinvansmith

rucksack split in to two compartments for dry and wet clothes or just put the wet ones in a carrier back inside the rucksack as for water get a couple of pump spray bottles from homebase and fill them with fairy and water mix that way you can just spray the water on and squeggee off bypassing the shampooer stage unless its a first clean i used to used them alot works great you'll get 3 or 4 houses out a bottle anf theyre only arouns a tenner for two you'll clean a house quicker as well so be able to fit in an extra house or two a day

A spray bottle sounds like a great idea... I will give it a try...

At the moment I am cleaning an average sized house in about 25 - 35 mins... Is this a reasonable time...

As for new houses. Well I have had a few and to be honest they are a ***htmare. But. i stick at it thinking to myself that if this customer is happy with me and my work then next time round it will be done around 25 - 30 mins. I did a new house today and it took 1 hr 15 mins... I have had a few like that. I have been pricing the house on the rough £1 a window quotation. Although, with the first clean i feel I am pricing myself out. Although, i am more keen to have the customer. Am I doing the right thing... More often than not the customer will Tip me on the first clean. But. not always. Today's job was a ***htmare really... Selotape stuck to windows and frames - I will scrubbing with Cif and they had a dog with dirt all up the back door... I am surprised I didn't stand in any muck... Not all houses I do are like this. But. I value the council houses just as much as the homeowners. I grew up and spent all my childhood on the estate and many of my customers are people I have known all my life etc. Window Cleaners do not seem to last around here. I think some of them aim too high from the offset and the others are after a few beer tokens (and the rest!!)... I just want to keep it simple and progress positive. I have kept myself 100% customer focused - I want to be know as a good, reliable Window Cleaner... I think my rep is so so important.. I am starting to worry abit now. I have too many customers. But. still not enough... I am working really hard to do 100 per month with a PAYE job... But. to go full time I need to double my work load... I think when I take the plunge around march time I might just be able to jump on board... But. I worry mad about it... Every ***ht in bed... Its the only time I get to think at the moment... But. I am 37 and I have done it all Factories, Postman and Bin Man... I was brought up by my working class parents to work and in return every boss I have had has used this against me to give me more work for less money... I will regret it I know if I do not see this through now. I am half way there... Cheers Garden A.D.E and Colin for everything so far. I am really pleased that people like yourselves give great advice to up and coming's like me... Cheers...

My first clean on new customers houses always takes me a long time too. The pvc is often very mucky and the windows caked in filth but its important to make a good first impression. I always give my self loads more time and, of course, it makes things easier for the second clean. Reputation is so important,. I am prepared to earn a little less by putting in extra time making sure everything is spic and span. I do worry sometimes that I am not speeding up enough, but over the last few weeks have noticed an improvement. Sounds like you will definitely make a success of this rjacandwc

Cheers mate!!!... Thanks for the advice... I do struggle getting about with no car/van. But. I can get to parts of the town before a car/van can. I have just got to keep finding a way in carrying tools around and finding different area to leave ladders, use taps etc etc... It is kind of hard at the moment having to jobs. but. i keep thinking about when I started and the position I am in now. I have made logical progression. I just hope it all pays off into a regular round of which I can earn a living!

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.