Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Insurance Help Please

Ian

Hi

Not been on in a while.

Early december I was in an accident and my van was declared a total loss.

Everything has gone downhilll since then but to cut the story short.

Im wanting to go back out to work (i have loads to catch up on) but am stuck for insurance.

I have a van insurance policy that i am still paying, although my claim did not go through my insurance. They have said I can add another van to the policy but i do not have another van to add.

I have a car insurance policy with swift cover who i asked if i can insure my car for business use. They said no i cant as i need commercial insurance being a window cleaner and there business insurance is for travelling to places like office to office. They want £52 to cancel.

So now im confused.

Im guessing i have to cancel 2 policys and pay 2 cancellation fees? Then a new deposit for a new insurance?

Plus i dont know who/how to insure my car to use it to carry ladders to peoples houses?

I have not earned any money since november and i am scared im going to loose customers. Ive contacted most and explained my situation.

Can any one advise me?

I have a solicitor who is claiming my loss of earnings for me but thats all giving me a headache with what i can and can not claim. One minute i can claim for the insurance costs then i can not!

Im not very clever with this stuff and just want to be covered legally to go out in my car next week and clean my customers windows without all these policys and charges.

Thank you for reading

Hello, yes I am the man lol.

Firstly, your van insurance... If the van is a write off, you should no longer have the policy. It should have been canceled by now or changed to another vehicle, however you might be able to change that one to the car so worth asking.

If not the. You will need I cancel that policy. If your policy was paid in full, then you should get some money back, if not then you may end up owing some, but you'll have to check.

To drive you car for widow cleaning usually only requires business use, usually class 1 or 2. In rare cases they might say you need a commercial policy, which would mean you will need I cancel and start a new policy. Again if you paid it in full....you should get a refund, if you pay monthly, you may need to pay a bit.

Now is the reason you have not been working due to injury? I assume so as a solicitor is involved. If so, they can talk to you about claiming "loss of earnings", also you CANNOT claim back the cost of either insurance policy or any fees related to the policy. You can only claim losses that are a result of the claim, the policy and fees you would pay regardless..

Hope this helps, if I've missed anything or you have any other questions then just give me a shout /emoticons/smile.png

If the vans a write off and only going to scrap don't forget to cash the tax on it get it sorned off road but it cant be stored on public roads as such may pay towards the cancellation fees

If the vans a write off and only going to scrap don't forget to cash the tax on it get it sorned off road but it cant be stored on public roads as such may pay towards the cancellation fees
Defo a good top tip there

Thanks for your replys.

Yes i have just sent my tax disc off this weekend as just recieved my settlement cheque for my van.

It came from the insurance company of the person who hit me.

I have been told by my insurance policy that it is active still and i can only add another van on as it is a van policy. So im going to ring them in the morning and find out what charges are involved.

Im confused about insuring my car still. Swift cover offer business use insurance but told me i can not have it as a window cleaner needs commercial insurance. That is who my current car insurance is with.

Can you recommend an insurance company for me that will cover me to have ladders/tools? As i cant find any on the net. I did a business car insurance quote which came out with AXA who swift is something to do with? But when i contacted them today about it they said the quote should not of came up as it would not be valid and have registered a complaint something to do with the FSA?

My head is all in a muddle. I just want insurance lol

Not sure of window cleaning cover as regards tools and ladders but as electrician no cover for tools in van or cars at reasonable fees was robbed loads of times worst was about £6500 worth of tools hence why they don't cover tools for electricians tools although did see window cleaning tool and van contents on compare the market site when trying to get van insurance for mine was an extra do a search mate but you need a reg suppose you could search with old reg no

Ah swift cover...they are pants.

They can only add limited parts to your policy.

If got a quote on a comparison website then the FSA states tht it must be honored if its within 10% of the next quote and provided the top 3 quotes are all within 30% of each other, however they will still make it hard for you.

You will need to cancel both policies you have.

The best place for a new policy is a broker such as:

Flint insurance

Grove n dean

Be wiser

Allen and Allen ect

(I suggest starting from the top /emoticons/wink.png)

cns, im new here, i got 2 vivaro vans with 5 workers. i also have my own van so i got 3, im gettin a 4th shortly, im paying each insurance seperate on each van n got them under my mates names on log book. am i being silly here?? will i save lots havin commercial insurance on 1 policy and havin each driver allowed to drive any van??

Well my van insurance are saying i can not cancel my policy until my claim has been finalised through the 3rd party insurance? This could take up to a year my solicitor said!! what the eck!!

My solicitor has just received details from the medical i attended and are booking me for psyio so thats why this is all going to drag out.

Apparently if i cancel insurance on my car i will loose no claims bonus too?

I feel like im in such a hole. I want to work but if i go out in my car and get hit by another **** then ill be in an even bigger hole then im in now!!!!

sorry for ranting but oh how i wish i could turn back time i would never off got out of bed on that day. i got up all motivated to go out and now ive got all this

cns, im new here, i got 2 vivaro vans with 5 workers. i also have my own van so i got 3, im gettin a 4th shortly, im paying each insurance seperate on each van n got them under my mates names on log book. am i being silly here?? will i save lots havin commercial insurance on 1 policy and havin each driver allowed to drive any van??
As stated in pm, get your vans in your name and get a multi vehicle policy for any driver over xx age, you should save a small fortune /emoticons/smile.png

Well my van insurance are saying i can not cancel my policy until my claim has been finalised through the 3rd party insurance? This could take up to a year my solicitor said!! what the eck!!My solicitor has just received details from the medical i attended and are booking me for psyio so thats why this is all going to drag out.

Apparently if i cancel insurance on my car i will loose no claims bonus too?

I feel like im in such a hole. I want to work but if i go out in my car and get hit by another **** then ill be in an even bigger hole then im in now!!!!

sorry for ranting but oh how i wish i could turn back time i would never off got out of bed on that day. i got up all motivated to go out and now ive got all this
Hi mate,

Yes sometime insurers will refuse your right to cancel if there is an ongoing claim.

The reason is simple in their eyes, they are worried there may be a risk of them having to pay out on the claim. And any insurance policy that has a claim on it, has to have the full amount paid an they do not offer a refund on cancelations.

You will only loss this years no claims bonus which you haven't yet earned. Any no claims you have gained previously, they will have to issue out to you.

Thank you cns for all your help.

I received an email from my insurance company they have now changed their tune and are telling me i have 14 days to cancel or add another van (which i do not have) and i have to pay the remainder of my policy. Im going to pass this information on to my solicitor i think as i do not know where i stand on this matter??

What you insurers are telling you is correct, however if/when the claim is finally finished and settled as non fault, you insurance broker will need to give you the money back for the cover from the day you canceled to the day the policy was due to run out.

Hope that helps.

Any more question just ask, ill try answer but missus is overdue so might take a while to respond if she starts pushing lol

Back