Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cold weather advice...

rjacandwc

Yesterday Suffolk hit sub-zero temp... I went out at 8.30am where I start my day cleaning a care home. When I got there I was all ready to rip into action and would you Adam and eve-it!!! my washer was just icing up all over the first window... I tried a second window and third to find this problem just carried on... So. I went home, comfort ate a load of toast, had a cuppa, and a *** in the garden, waited for the sun to pop up a little more and then went back at 10am... I was out till 2.30 and earned around £70. So, all in all I was happy that i got my work done and I am on top of my work so far for this month.

just wondered how all you all cope in these situations and any hints or tips would be great?... I did here Meths are good to use???

No chance of that mate. She is preggers at the moment!!!... Its like sleeping with a Beach Whale!!!

What Temp. from your experience is ok to Clean Windows???

There was days last year that this was happening to us all through the day, even at 12, 1 oclock in the the afternoon. We just took the day off. It actually happened quite a lot last year, and like yourself if we could wait a little and just get started a little later, that is what we did.

Thankfully this has not happened to us this year, so far. But it does seems to be getting a bit colder, so hopefully we don't see too much of it.

Bring on the summer :)

i'm wfp but use 25ltr drums, first time i faced winter i had water freezing in the hose, and figured out that as the drums had been left in the van they were already practically freezing, icy ground soon made it freeze up. last year when we had all that snow, i had left them in the house o/night and were at more a room tempreture i never once had a freeze up even though the hose was trailing through snow, although i don't go out in daft temps maybe -2 at the lowest, but don't generally start unless it's past 0, but the ground is usually still frozen, so if you use drums, get them in the house

only other occasion it freezes on the glass is if it's a conny/room unheated

Today I got to work about 6ish, the bucket was frozen up and all my jerry cans had ice banging around inside.

Then at about 11am my pump was froze up in the trolley, so sat their for 15mins warming it up with my hands.

I need to work regardless of temp, I'll stay out as to be honest it could rain the rest of the week and the two or three jobs I got done could pay a bill or two.

I wouldn't be doing anything exciting if I stayed home so may aswell stay out and try some work.

Plus theirs always one or two jobs that can be done, unless it's minus 8 lol

i've heard that parafin heaters are pretty cheap to run, from garden centres, my worry would'nt be fumes, more a left the iron on mentality thinking about if it falls over and sets the van alight! ridiculous.

have you tried throwing a quilt over your gear o/night? won't work for crazy temps but is good for typical ***hts, stops stuff freezing.

Gonna get cold to***ht, gonna fill some 25 l containers half hot half cold and see how I get on I hate work with a stiff hose:)

you ain't kidding, just walked the dog and noticed the cars iced up for the 3rd time! supposed to be a mild one tomorrow, but unless we get a dose of santa-ana wind before dawn, i can't see me going far before dinner!

-7 where I am, only just gone 9.30am /emoticons/sad.png

Lucky I'm only canvassing today /cheer

James.

Latest Posts

Back