Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I Made A Huge Decision

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mark m

I ask my boy to work for me full time from September . I know it does not always work out working with family that is why it is a big decision for me he is 17 in 3 months so I have said he must pass his test then I will buy him a van pay his insurance and £12000 a year what do you think? has anybody else in the same boat worked with family ?

ive worked with my farther for about 6-7 years, was good, but like always there was a few run-ins! cant teach old dog new tricks etc! lol

got to think what happens if he decides not to do it after so long? or wants to go his own way with it?

but good louck and hope it works out well for you both! its always good to have someone that you know and can trust!

Got to be a good idea Mark, it's not like you'll be under each others feet if he's in his own van. Who can you trust more than ya own son I'd say and when the time comes to retire (obviously 40 yrs time) who better to take the reigns.

as said working separetly should help ,family and business dosent always work , if he has an interest in the work then it should go well. i worked in the family business on and off for years and there was plenty of arguements and eventually i worked elsewere .good luck with it anyway.

Me and dad worked together for a few years. But we are like best friends so was easy.

I think it s good idea; you’re in a position to help/teach him to make a living on his own.

Richard

Personally i would send him to college/6 form, you spend a lot of years working, should enjoy the years you dont have to work. get as many qualifications as you can.

you never know if the day comes and they cant do a physical job, at least then they have qualifications to fall back on.

I would like my son to take over mine one day, but 1st i want him to complete school and further education. (learn from my mistakes).

Cant beat having family running the budiness with u /emoticons/smile.png

Atleast u know u can trust them.

With ordinary workers u got to keep an eye on them etc

But cant beat family , wish i had sum 1 in my family helping me

Youngsters can be a nightmare at that age so good luck /emoticons/wink.png

Does he really know and made up his mind what he really wants to do?

Just saying yes to make his old dad happy is not going to work if he has no interest or commitment in the job you want him to do :rolleyes:

My boy has done a bit with me before so he knows how to clean windows I love him to bits but we do argue but there is not the work there for them to choose like I use to . I know if we worked to together it wont work but this way I hope it does

theres no jobs out there for school levers or anyone with qualifacations they mean jack this day and age i wish i had started a window business when i left school as i had over 10yrs of missery working for someone else,if i had a son id see how id do the same;)

best of look of mate.

Mark it might be also worth finding out if you take your lad on as a so say apprentice what grants etc are available for you both. Doing it that way you may get help with tools etc also sending him on training courses as well so he gains qualification in doing so.

Mark it might be also worth finding out if you take your lad on as a so say apprentice what grants etc are available for you both. Doing it that way you may get help with tools etc also sending him on training courses as well so he gains qualification in doing so.
Good point, has to get into college first and they put them to anyone with that course.You get upto £1500 per one.

Two points, first I couldn't put my 20 year old on the van insurance, they just said no. Secondly, get him some more college under his belt first if you can, business or whatever so he can at least understand how a business is run. I know it feels good to have something that you can share with him because I feel exactly the same. Seeing what the world is like now you worry more about them than you ever worried about yourself.

I don't think that window cleaning is going to last that long that I would want my younger son going into it. We have talked about it but I would be very reluctant for him to commit to it except maybe as a stepping stone while he learns something else. Nearly all my customers are retired and my wages are paid from their pensions. Most of them have good company pensions and are pretty well off, but they are dying off gradually.

As they pass away the next generation are nowhere near as well off and have mixed employment histories and are struggling to pay the bills now. Window cleaners are going to find it harder and harder. There are already a lot more window cleaners than say five years ago and the customer base is dwindling

College is a waste of time in this day an age, I did it and gained nothing other than a qualification that no one excepts as thy want you I do their own in house course.. Experience counts for so much more..... So many of my friends went to uni.....gusse which ones still live at home .....at 25 with no income left over for themselves...

Very good idea I will look into that

College is a waste of time in this day an age, I did it and gained nothing other than a qualification that no one excepts as thy want you I do their own in house course.. Experience counts for so much more..... So many of my friends went to uni.....gusse which ones still live at home .....at 25 with no income left over for themselves...
OMG. you dont seroiously mean, kids should leave school at 16 and work?. Thats far to young and immature...I know people gone to college and is on 60k plus,
Nothing beats having qualifications under your belt, esp if you have the ambition to push for something you enjoy. I would be heart broken if my son leaves school and go straight to work, does not work like that in this day and age, for starters, not many people take people on as yound as 16 unless its a part time cleaning job or something. the most they will get is a apprentise that 1000s of others will also be going for and u would not even be short listed if your gcse and not A-C...

College is never full time, so working when not at college is surely the answer,

People i know who didnt go to college, end up doing it later in life...so imo do it straight from school.

Back