Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Salt

Hinty

Now we are getting the frosts I have put the salt back in the van - if when I clean I think there is a risk of ice forming then I tend to do doors by hand, and where water drips on paths / patios I put a bit of salt down.

During the summer I put away a couple of lawn feed containers that are designed to be used as spreaders - they work really well, can lay salt easily - just where I want it, and not too much.

Last year when we had the snow I couldnt find rock salt anywhere so I went to the local cash & carry and bought a couple of 25kg bags of cooking salt - I know its not the best, but it works and its cheap. Still got one bag left.

How do you guys prepare?

i just carry on, don't use salt but mean to, and there's a salt bin 10 secs away! but if it's below freezing i'm not likely to be out of bed never mind working.

i often wonder if any wfp'rs have been sued or threatened cos of someone going over?

I have kept salt in the van, but you can't spill it in the van as it'll cause damage.

Remember guys that H&S can screw you if someone slips up on ice created by your water.

And that's easily done.

Jay has pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Best bet is to whack as much of the stuff down, that way your covering as much of the risk as you can. Plus it shows initiative on your behalf and hopefully the customers will see you doing this.

James.

Thanks Jaywig, and I agree with James - doing that little bit more might raise you above the compe***ion, and will keep the custies happy.

Latest Posts

Back