Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which Size D.I. Vessel - Cost Effectiveness?

James

Long story short...

I am looking at buying another tank to store in my garage facility to make pure water. I'm currently making it straight into my transit which is becoming an ever increasing pain as I'm having to move my booster pump outside everytime I need to re-fill my tank. I wan't a nice little set-up in my garage composing of a Merlin RO System (currently in my van also), Booster Pump, 650 litre Tank and a D.I. Vessel.

Then I will be able to work in the day while producing it at the same time. I can then bilge pump it straight to my van after my shift in 10-15 minutes.

But my question is: My current D.I. Vessel in my van is 11 Litre. This takes up nearly a whole bag of Tulsion a time (£70). Would it be more cost efficient to buy a smaller D.I., for example, 4.6 litre vessel to produce my pure water? Has anyone done the maths to work out how much pure water you can produce with an 11L vessel and a 4.6L Vessel, before changing the vessels?

Basically how much pure water can you make with both sized vessels before changing the vessels resin thus trying to save money.

Hope that makes sense, I tried.

James.

a smaller vessel will just need changing more regular. i'm not quite with you, why not just either leave your current di in the cessel and make it pure at home and then just clean with that after transfer? or you could, as some do have a smaller di in the van and use as a polisher if you're in doubt.

by the way james when the tds starts to rise, have you tried giving it a shake? that can give a bit more resin life, as can taking it out and putting it back in

oh, have you tried gardiners resin calculator? that would tell you what you can expect to produce

a smaller vessel will just need changing more regular. i'm not quite with you, why not just either leave your current di in the cessel and make it pure at home and then just clean with that after transfer? or you could, as some do have a smaller di in the van and use as a polisher if you're in doubt.

by the way james when the tds starts to rise, have you tried giving it a shake? that can give a bit more resin life, as can taking it out and putting it back in

oh, have you tried gardiners resin calculator? that would tell you what you can expect to produce
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I want to know what will be cheaper resin wise and which vessel will produce more pure water using as little resin as possible,for example:

For example purposes say I have the 2 sized vessels (4.5L & 11L) and 5 bags of 25L Resin, which one will produce the most pure water after all the 5 bags have been used.

Because at the moment I use one full bag to fill my 11 litre vessel, I'm just wondering If I had a smaller vessel could I keep re-filling it to produce more pure water or could I produce more just by filling the 11 litre vessel once than re-filling the little one lots of times.

Oh and cheers for the tip Chip as I didnt know that!

James.

it'll be more or less the same i expect, some people double di, but they say that it does'nt seem to make much difference, which surprises me i would expect that you'd get more that way. only difference is you have to change more often!

are you sure you have 25 ltr sacks? i thought you got a couple of fills for an 11ltr vessel? the numbers suggest so

Yeah it was just an example /emoticons/smile.png Can't remember the actual sizes. Yehh I was just wondering if you could get more fills from a smaller vessel equaling more pure water.

Cheers for your knowledge Chip.

James.

I think i know what you're getting at

The bigger the vessel the more resin you have to throw away as the tds rises.

The thing is the more resin there is the more water it can potentially produce so it's 6 or 2 threes.

Try shaking the vessel when it starts to rise. Sometimes brings it back down a bit.

If you are di only then with a 4.5 vessel you'll be forever having to change the resin.

Why not get another 11 litre vessel and as the TDS rises in the first one use that as the pre filter for the second vessel full of new resin. Then when the second vessel starts to rise, move that one to become the pre filter and so on and so on...

That way instead of throwing away resin when the tds starts rising you are using it to reduce the tds of the water input and so the new resin is not working as hard to purify the tap water.

Rainwater harvesting is another great resin saver.

As said you should be filling 2 11L vessels with a 25L bag and still have some left over.

I think i know what you're getting at

The bigger the vessel the more resin you have to throw away as the tds rises.

The thing is the more resin there is the more water it can potentially produce so it's 6 or 2 threes.

Try shaking the vessel when it starts to rise. Sometimes brings it back down a bit.

If you are di only then with a 4.5 vessel you'll be forever having to change the resin.

Why not get another 11 litre vessel and as the TDS rises in the first one use that as the pre filter for the second vessel full of new resin. Then when the second vessel starts to rise, move that one to become the pre filter and so on and so on...

That way instead of throwing away resin when the tds starts rising you are using it to reduce the tds of the water input and so the new resin is not working as hard to purify the tap water.

Rainwater harvesting is another great resin saver.

As said you should be filling 2 11L vessels with a 25L bag and still have some left over.
Thankyou for your input Mark!

I see so run two 11 litre vessels? one as a weakener so to speak and the other as the full filter. Thats an excellent idea. I currently run my tap water through my booster pump into the Merlin RO then through my 11 litre DI then into the tank.

Rainwater harvesting, another brilliant idea, thanks!

James.

Actually I hadn't read your initial post correctly. I didn't see you'd be using a merlin RO system.

In that case your di vessel should last ages anyway so not that imperative to use 2 di.

What's the tds of your tap water?

is it on the links and services section? there's a lot still don't know about it, and i think all w/cs would use it at some point. it helped me out when i first heard of it

Actually I hadn't read your initial post correctly. I didn't see you'd be using a merlin RO system.

In that case your di vessel should last ages anyway so not that imperative to use 2 di.

What's the tds of your tap water?
My TDS out the tap is around 350+ Mark, its not good unfortunately.

Thats brilliant yet again Dave, cheers!

James.

haha that was my mistake on that. There is no way in hell you can get 25L bag into an 11L Vessel lol.

Cutting another long story short... I have a window cleaning mate of mine saying to me, "why do you have an 11 litre vessel in your van to purify your water, if you had a smaller vessel you will use less Tulsion and create more pure water". In a sense I was thinking he was correct as if you kept filling up a smaller vessel you would be using less tulsion and still making more water than if you just lobbed one bag of tulsion into an 11 litre vessel and then the whole vessel just needing to be swapped for another bag of Tulsion.

Am I making any sense of this situation?

James.

yes, but as busdriver highlighted so much resin will purify so much water at x tds, if it does make more one way, it'll be negligable. again as, i think mark said it, giving it a shake or emptying it and putting it in again may extend the life, because the water can cut a channel and thus not nescessarily use all the resin.

yes, but as busdriver highlighted so much resin will purify so much water at x tds, if it does make more one way, it'll be negligable. again as, i think mark said it, giving it a shake or emptying it and putting it in again may extend the life, because the water can cut a channel and thus not nescessarily use all the resin.
Cheers for your help boys, its starting to add up abit more now in my head. So summarising, 2 D.I.'s will be pretty much useless as I'm using the Merlin RO Filtering System?

James.

not useless, just not mandatory. if you want a polisher, get one, i just would'nt make it top priority

Back