Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

20" Gac Pre-Filter

D

DanC

Hi everyone, just a quick question is anyone using a GAC Pre-Filter on there systems? Only i have never used one on mine, i noticed gardiner do a 20" version which would be what i need, now

what benifit does this serve and would it be worth my while getting one? Does it help reduce PPM before the RO that much?

Also at what stage of filtering are you placing this GAC filter?

Before sediment and carbon filter or after?

water softener would be your best bet in my opinion, thats what i use and does ok for me
Just been looking at also as im going to upgrade my system on a few things, i have just noticed here http://www.daqua.co.uk/resins.htm if you scroll down to the bottom you will seeSoftening ResinTulsion T-42 i didnt realize you can get softening resin!

I use the Tulsion T-115 Obviously but didnt realize there were different types!

Over the years (7 years with a RoMan r/o) I have only ever used GAC filters. The reason being that we found a write up that the GAC filter performed better than the carbon block. Changed them between 3 and 6 months, depending on visually how dirty the sediment filter was.

However, many window cleaners have used CB filters without issue, changing them at between 3 and 6 month intervals.

I have built up a 4040 and decided that due to the amount of water the unit processes, I would fit 20" filters rather than the cheaper and more popluar 10 filters.

Having brought 2 x 20 GAC filters, I noticed that the warning stated the the GAC filter was only good for processing the chlorine from 2500 gallons. If we say that's imperial gallons, then we have 11250 litres. With the amount of water we use and at a ratio of 50/50 pure to waste, I would have to change those filters every 6 or 7 working days. BTW they give the same chlorine removal for the 10" filter so something isn't right.

I was told that the best filter for my application was a Pentek Chlorplus 20. Another supplier says that not right. (BTW the GAC filter says chlorine removal for 2500 gallons. The Chlorplus says chlorine reduction 100000 gallons. Its been in 5 months, although not worked that much and the membrane is still ok. (We had a bad lot of dirty water that turned both the sediment and chlorplus filters brown in a couple of hours. I jet washed the muck off the both filters and put them back into service.)

There is a window cleaner in Southampton whose membranes don't last. As the only cause of membrane damage is chlorine, he has fitted a DI vessel after sediment and before the membrane filling it with carbon fines. He did this about 6 months ago and hasn't reported any issues as yet.

Thanks for the great reply, i have been using the 20" Carbon Block and changed that every 3 month, i make water for 4 guys so i am now thinking this should be changed more often or add something else pre filter wise

The advice that Vyair gave to a window cleaner was to remove the sediment filter and replace it with a Carbon Block with a 1 or 5 micron filter and then add the GAC filter next.

In theory I think that this makes a bit of sense although I have never heard this echoed elsewhere. Personally I would still like to see a sediment prefilter first.

There is a Company down south (I'm in the North East) called Window Washers and he has a number of vans on the road. His water TDS is 330 and says he religiously changes his filters every 6 months. He has to replace his 4040 membrane every 3 years. Now I realise that the chlorine level in his water supply at 330 and ours at 115 can't be determined from the TDS input, but it won't be that much different to ours I wouldn't have thought.

I wish we could get an inline chlorine test meter as we can an inline tds meter. I would love to know how efficiently these carbon block filters actually are. I'm not sure how accurate these chlorine swimming pool test meters are when it comes to this requirement now days. The kit we had overseas with our swimming pool was by colour co-ordination so wasn't that accurate IMHO.

The ez pure per filter gradients sell doubles up as a sediment and carbon filter, it's supposed to last a lot longer than the standard 10/20" per filter and is supposed to be better at filtering as it has a larger surface are, when you shake them they sound like there are granules of some sort in them, they are not solid like the standard ore filters.

Latest Posts

Back