Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar panel + fascia clean.

Looks very good. What were you doing on the roof though? Could you not do the panels from the ground?

Also noticed on your bottom pictures you don't have electrical gloves on and there is a metal connector scraping on the glass on the solar panel. Very bad idea. Not criticising, just trying to help. :)

Looks very good. What were you doing on the roof though? Could you not do the panels from the ground?
I could have done them from the ground but thought it would be just as east just to get up because my large poles are Brodex **** and the weigh a tonne and the clamps dont clamp the poles properly so i though i would just get up there.

Also noticed on your bottom pictures you don't have electrical gloves on and there is a metal connector scraping on the glass on the solar panel. Very bad idea. Not criticising, just trying to help. :)
I didnt realise you could get a shock from solar panels, was i doing the wrong thing.

I didnt realise you could get a shock from solar panels, was i doing the wrong thing.
Er, I don't know how far I should go with this, but its fair to say your technique was not ideal mate. I would not be using those photos on my website if I were you! :)I think you could do with researching a bit about solar panels before your next job. I'm not mucking about, but you can have seriously injured, if not killed yourself on that job. If it would have gone wrong, I would have gone spectacularly wrong. What you need to correct fr your next job is a bit long-winded to explain on the forum.

If you want to add this service to your business, it may be an idea to do a couple of jobs with a company who have a bit of experience and then you can learn on the job. I'm sure others on here would agree.

There are a range of gloves available for working in close proximity with electricity. No good if you are doing fiddly jobs, but ideal for spc. They offer good protection.

Health and safety probably use it for a "how not to" clean a solar panel. Also bad to advertise to your insurance company your bad work practice.

If I saw you on my roof resting your weight on my several thousand pounds investment, you would not be staying long.

Would your insurance pay out if you broke tiles, panels, electrocuted yourself or even fallen off the roof?

Are you insured?

Blimey mate,that's dangerous and that's come from someone who loves skydiving,bungee jumping.15 years ago you could've got away with that because when I first started window cleaning for a company we were climbing on roofs,balconies,out windows.

If you broke those panels or worse still hurt yourself you would be in big trouble.

I'd seriously do more research or get a bigger better pole as I've looked into doing this seriously but got to much on.

Health and safety probably use it for a "how not to" clean a solar panel. Also bad to advertise to your insurance company your bad work practice.

If I saw you on my roof resting your weight on my several thousand pounds investment, you would not be staying long.

Would your insurance pay out if you broke tiles, panels, electrocuted yourself or even fallen off the roof?

Are you insured?
Personally i dont see a problem with going up on the roof to clean the panels its not like i was resting on the panels there a was enough space to more around comfortable. I used to be a roofer so im ok on roofs and know how to climb about without breaking tiles. And yes i am Insured.

There are a range of gloves available for working in close proximity with electricity. No good if you are doing fiddly jobs, but ideal for spc. They offer good protection.
Where do you get them from i have loads of solar panel cleaning jobs on.

Personally i dont see a problem with going up on the roof to clean the panels its not like i was resting on the panels there a was enough space to more around comfortable. I used to be a roofer so im ok on roofs and know how to climb about without breaking tiles. And yes i am Insured.
Fair enough but if you fall of and expect a pay out this probably won't happen as you had the option of working from ground floor with a pole.

Only thinking of you mate.

Fair enough but if you fall of and expect a pay out this probably won't happen as you had the option of working from ground floor with a pole.

Only thinking of you mate.
Fair play mate!
Just thought it would be easier from up on the roof. Dont think i'l go on the roof again too clean them cos ive not had much approval on here.LOL

Reference pictures 1 and 2. Feet on panels. Outsiders view point to what your doing. Remember people watch the everything we do as window cleaners and some people are very anal about their own stuff, especially expensive things like roof or panels.

As you are insured always think how the insurance company might view it, as they don't like to or even want to pay out if you broke or injured yourself let alone a customers property.

So thinking about it were you insured on the basis of your policy and successfully making a claim if it went wrong?

I know mine wouldn't pay out, they would say that I put myself at risk by failing to use fall arrest equipment or use scaffolding or something like that, I am sure you know what insurance companies are all about. It is best to be sensible even though you have experience of roofing work as I am sure those solar panels that feed into the grid are connected to the main supply so probably wise to be cautious as cracked or damaged panels could arc electricity to you. And you can bet your bottom dollar that if there's a problem with those panels in the near future, you know where the fingers going to point.

Good job though and nice clean guttering and soffits etc.

Stay safe as life is fun.

Back