Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do The Frames Or Not?

timbeam

As a new starter to wfp I'm worried about spotting, as I'm sure most newbies are, so I want to get your opinions on the best way to avoid that.

Some people say the best way is to clean all the frames first.

What do you guys do and those of you who do clean the frames, do you charge extra?

Cheers!

I clean the frames at no extra cost every time I tell the custy but to be honest you can miss them out every now and then . I clean the frames first then the window as long as you rinse well you should have no problems

Thanks guys.

I've seen that video before, made me smile. Perry has some fairly decent wfp vids on YouTube - helpful.

So do you charge a bit more for the extra time or just accept it as a necessary evil? Also, what do you do about those nasty dirt storing air vents?

I have only one job that has dirty vents all the time I give the whole house ( frames only ) a good going over with lots of water then start again and just clean the glass keeping the water away from the vents

I always do uPVC frames, I see as part of the window and dont look good if they are not cleaned. Wooden frames it depends upon the condition. Dirty vents I avoid them but if I do catch one I wrap a scrim around the brush and try to dry it off and then come back to it later. The vids above are good

i quote for the glass then say ill do the frames and sills and your front door FREE of charge, it makes them think there getting a bargain and 9/10 they always say yes. its just like cleaning a car, you wont clean the car and leave the wheels would you. its all one thing so you do it all. ive picked a few jobs up this week from trad guys who only do the glass.

Just make sure when u do scrub the top of the frame you rinse really well cos any dirty water left will drip down onto the window. And also check for oxidised window frames (where you get that kind of white chalky powder stuff) cos frames like that will leave white drip marks everywhere if not thoroughly cleaned and rinsed

On first cleans do the frames first then let them dry. Then do just the glass.

This time of year it's easy todo it that way.

I have been known to come back for the glass.

i do sometimes, on my 4 weeklys, i do them every 8 weeks. if they are out its better but if there in i try to hang about longer, or they moan it only took me 10 mins to clean for a tenner lol. if theres birds much etc then its a must but if they look clean why bother? downstairs is more important and i always take extra care on them, like living room and kitchen windows that are looked out the most.

Always clean the frames as it doesn't really take much longer. If you do a proper first clean then all the cleans after are just really maintenance cleans. Just remember to rinse rinse and rinse well and you'll be fine. Obv the higher up the windows are like 3 or 4th floor would stay away from tops of frames.

Been knocking on few doors last couple weeks and the amont of times i've seen clean glass and absolutely filthy frames and the person says "oh we've got a window cleaner" i just think its a shame they dont clean all of your window then, i know it trad guys but we are window cleaners and not glass cleaners are we not?? Had a friend who used trad guy and he wanted charge her £35 per frame to clean and said she could pay installments!! I now do her whole house for £12. I always tell my customers that all glass, frames and sills are cleaned every time. Anywho mini rant over cheers !!!!!

Seems to be a grey area this frame and sill cleaning, and what to charge.

3 bed semi at £8.50 Traditional no frame cleaning, but sills get wiped.

Then along comes WFP same house, he charges between 12 and 15 quid. But for that he cleans frames and sills.

Quite a price increase for the customer, and a nice hike in price for the WFP man, especilly if it's a monthly clean.

If you wanted to be fair to the customer you should ask the customer what they want cleaning, and how often do they want it done. Then charge accordingly, instead of a sneaky way of offering frame cleaning, which we know after the first clean is a doddle, and making 4 or 5 quid extra on the same house.

rs2315.

Just look at job and see how long think it would take and base price on that. 3 bed semi if nice and easy access, no conservatory or big bay windows then £12 is fair price even including doing sills and frames, which isn't really any extra bother. £3.50 extra to make there whole window look clean isn't a bad price in my opinion. Not a way of sneaking in frame cleaning as like say i always tell my customers its included in price and i think it harder to not do the frames as if you don't clean them dirt can easily wash from the frame to the glass. Like someone said you wouldn't clean your car/van and not clean the wheels or the roof!!! And obv charge according to frequency and do a good job and customer will be as happy as. Not about making 4/5 quid extra its about doing the best job for a fair price.

As a new starter to wfp I'm worried about spotting, as I'm sure most newbies are, so I want to get your opinions on the best way to avoid that.

Some people say the best way is to clean all the frames first.

What do you guys do and those of you who do clean the frames, do you charge extra?

Cheers!
Clean the frames everytime.

What's being sneakey about "yes missus that price includes washing down plastic frames & sills aswell" Now if they want a deep clean to bring discoloured fithy plastic back to white then that's when you should charge extra if you ask me. :Image3:

Seems to be a grey area this frame and sill cleaning, and what to charge.

3 bed semi at £8.50 Traditional no frame cleaning, but sills get wiped.

Then along comes WFP same house, he charges between 12 and 15 quid. But for that he cleans frames and sills.

Quite a price increase for the customer, and a nice hike in price for the WFP man, especilly if it's a monthly clean.

If you wanted to be fair to the customer you should ask the customer what they want cleaning, and how often do they want it done. Then charge accordingly, instead of a sneaky way of offering frame cleaning, which we know after the first clean is a doddle, and making 4 or 5 quid extra on the same house.

rs2315.

Latest Posts

Back