Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter Cleaning Advice Please?

Oliver

Hi I was just looking for some advice on gutter cleaning as not done a lot.

I was given a numatic wet n dry hoover & bought poles but only used it twice as pipe seems to get blocked straight away, is this normal?

I was considering upgrading the hose from I think is 32mm to 51mm but not convinced it will solve the problem, do I need a more powerful vac I think it has 2 motors @ 1200w, so would I be better off getting a new vac at 3000w or more? & a cam?

Have do bit on ladders but don't really like using them if possible.

My other question is to people who use this system a lot, is it hard or harder work than window cleaning as I have a bad back & previous injury, & don't want to aggravate it.

I know its probably a personal choice & I know my own limitations when it comes to working & my back, but I am not sure if I should invest money in to a new vac & hose & cam or just knock it on the head & concentrate on windows only.

I assume all the mud & waste will be heavy & lifting vac etc. heavier pole & more awkward positions.

I don't want to come across as a wimp lol but I need to be very careful with my back now or else it stops me from working!

Also when you lads have built up a full window cleaning round when do you fit gutter cleaning in?

My other worry is if I do windows only will that leave a gap for other window cleaners who do both pinching my jobs or do I find a local gutter cleaner who only does that only pass him the jobs & hope he does the same back(if I can find the right person).

Thanks for taking time to read & any advice would be much appreciated or you view on the situation?

51mm seems to be what most companys supply , 2400 is ok on certain jobs and a bit underpowered on some so a minium of 3000watts is better ,with saying all that it would be a risk to your back imo,you might better of getting a good standoff and doing them by hand as would be less of a risk on your back .

51mm seems to be what most companys supply , 2400 is ok on certain jobs and a bit underpowered on some so a minium of 3000watts is better ,with saying all that it would be a risk to your back imo,you might better of getting a good standoff and doing them by hand as would be less of a risk on your back .
I did think about getting one but was unsure best type to get? any you would recommend?would you use drain rods & or trad pole extension for longer reach, but I also think there would be a lot of places you could not get to with ladders?

I suppose in the long run I will have another person(s) working for me to help save my back.

Think you may have answered your own question if you have a bad back as using a guttervac can be hard work but also can come in handy for awkward job.

I've found using 51mm vac hose it can still get blocked and even an 100mm inlet on the vac too. Guttervacs do have limitations on what they can do so that's why sometimes it's easier to clear guttering sods out by hand.

I also have been known more often than not to use both methods on one job that's why I only like to take on upto 2 storey work now.

This thread covers the safest way to clear guttering out by hand https://www.windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/6996-gutter-clean-by-hand/

Hope this helps?

Thanks Smurf thread was useful, I think I will invest some ankalad stabilisers & micro lite stand off for now & see how I get on with them.

Do you have different attachments for different gutter type eg rounded or square type I saw some online somewhere, I have that same black scoop one you had in pic on that thread.

Best investement you will make and will soon pay for themselves in no time. :Image9:

I have a few tools I can use including a block paving hook/knife tapped to a pole which comes in handy to break up sods so can drag it back to myself.

Was only thinking the other day regarding various shaped tools to fit different type gutters being sold on ebay but can't find the link now.

Thanks Smurf thread was useful, I think I will invest some ankalad stabilisers & micro lite stand off for now & see how I get on with them.

Do you have different attachments for different gutter type eg rounded or square type I saw some online somewhere, I have that same black scoop one you had in pic on that thread.

Best investement you will make and will soon pay for themselves in no time. :Image9:

I have a few tools I can use including a block paving hook/knife tapped to a pole which comes in handy to break up sods so can drag it back to myself.

Was only thinking the other day regarding various shaped tools to fit different type gutters being sold on ebay but can't find the link now.
I think I saw them on eBay too but can not find them now there was a whole set of different types.Ankalad stabilisers seem to be about 92 inc vat & microlite stand off about 50 on eBay, so will be a lot cheaper than investing in a new vac & cam! probably 700 & your right will pay for them selfs straight away as have people wanting them done asap,the last time I attempted a gutter clean via ladders the moss was frozen solid! lol so gave up went home & put kettle on instead lol

thanks again

This is one example of an awkward job...

Roof valley corner badly blocked with debris including broken bits of tiles and broken mortar fillets from valley. Ground floor roof was also unsafe to walk on.

View attachment 2658

How did I go about clearing the corner and rest of the guttering on that one?

I keep looking at this, are there phone wires in the corner?

So at least you and BT can think of a way. Unless that little window has something to do with the solution I'm scuppered /emoticons/smile.png

I try to think through the job in advance so arranged to have access from next door.

So I arrived not knowing if my ladder system I use would be able to be set safely to get as close to the corner as I could in here.

View attachment 2691

After removing a couple of pots from under next door side window I just managed to get the ladder extended (ankalad stabiliser deployed too) with the microlite standoff onto the side house roof tiles avoiding BT cables altogether so was about 2m away from the corner.

View attachment 2692

Unfortunately I forgot to take any pics to show you but managed to clear that side gutter run including the badly blocked end and the roof valley with just one ladder setup using an extendable pole and tools on the end. It was so bad a guttervac would have been useless so I'm glad I did that bit by hand. Without having a microlite stand-off to and ankalad on my ladder I would have been scuppered on that one.

The rest of the gutters on that property I managed to clear them ok with me guttervac.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Are you saying the foot of you ladder was somewhere by the waste pipe on the right in the backyard picture?

Another example of an awkward job where a microlie stand-off comes into its own

View attachment 2702

View attachment 2703

How would you set a normal ladder to reach & clear the guttering on this one with bad access and sat dishes in the way too?

Also trying to use a guttervac would be useless aswell...

Simple like this...

View attachment 2704

Now look what it was like

View attachment 2705

View attachment 2706

After pulling the sod out in one large clump then cleared out under the led flashing too.

View attachment 2707

Blocked downspouts & guttering on sides of properties are not generally a problem either if the width of the path down the side of the property is not wide enough to set the ladder and a fence/large wall is in the way too. Just need to gain permission and arrange access from next door to set the ladder on their side. Simples...

Example pic

Be it a public footpath but shows you how garden walls are not a problem either using a microlite stand-off and ankalad for added safety

View attachment 2718

Latest Posts

Back