Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Liters Per Min

My control goes 0 to 99. Max flow is 5 litres per minute at 100psi. I generally have it set to 20. So about 1 litre per minute. Sometimes goes up to 40 if required.
That’s a very low water flow rate Hotwash, you must be using a slow brush with many more brush strokes. It would take 15 seconds just to get 250ml of water onto the glass, which is about the same as cup full.

If your using the extreme brushes & light poles, the weight saving is pointless if you spend all day taking longer to clean. This is just common sense, spend 1 hour doing a job with lighter equipment or spend 30 minutes with better but slightly heavier equipment - for the sake of a few extra grams in weight, which window cleaner has used more energy and is going to be more tired at the end of the job?

Double your water flow rate, get a faster brush and the same amount of water can still be used in half the time, but with a more efficient brush you will end up using less water to remove the dirt.

Personally I use a higher flow rate than this; I would recommend at least 2.2 litres of water a minute as a minimum when using Tecbuk brushes.

Richard

Switch your wfp system on Gmeister, and then catch the water coming out from the brush into a bucket. Do this for 1 minute, stop the water then measure how much water you have collected in a jug with measuring scale on.

Give or take 10% and you have a good idea to how much the water flow rate is when working.

Richard

I agree partly with Richard as a very low flow rate like hotwash uses (digi 20 setting) = longer time to rinse properly so probably uses more water than need be.

All ways set my controller between 60-80 lots of water = easy to rinse, turn it down as i go through the day if i start to get worried about running out.....

40 would be about 2 litres per minute.

Slow with cold. Hot water cleans quicker and uses much less water.

That's what I find, that's why I use a lower flow rate.

You keep mentioning brushes Richard so tell me what you think is best and quickest with hot water and I will buy it from you and try it out.

At present I use gardiner sill brushes dual trim.

I find rinsing is quicker as the surface tension is lower.

2.2 litres per min in an hour you will use over 120 litres of water. How many hours do you work a day as 600litre tank will give you around 5 hours working time. I like to work 8 hours per day but don't fancy a 1000litre tank.

Cold water = more time cleaning

2.2 litres per min in an hour you will use over 120 litres of water. How many hours do you work a day as 600litre tank will give you around 5 hours working time. I like to work 8 hours per day but don't fancy a 1000litre tank.

Cold water = more time cleaning
Only on the bigger jobs where you will clean for 1 hour without turning the water off, small jobs that take 20 minutes in total, from pulling up to driving off you might only use a few minutes worth of water.

Ambient water temperature (cold water) is much quicker than heated water (warmer water) for maintenance cleans. Warmer water will dissolves the dirt and the warm water surface tension means it will likely stay on the glass, greater chance of spotting, you want the water to ball up bigger and roll off the window faster with the dirt.

So if you use heated water, you must rinse more and spend more time & use more pure water cleaning each window when using heated water. You don’t need or want to dissolve all the dirt on a window you want to remove it from the window in the most efficient way. Heated water does have its uses, but doesn’t need to be used for most things.

Water temp will also affect the brush bristles; personally I prefer the feel of brushes in colder weather.

Richard

Surely if it balls up you will need more water to cover the same surface area? Hydrophobic glass balls up the water and takes longer to rinse, you talk like I have never used a cold water system, news is 6 years experience. So I am talking from experience, do you have hot water system?

When you have had Hotwash you never would go back to cold, it's like regression.

hot water and soap cleans the body well, are we not talkin about windows here what does hot water have to do we it,cold does the same job

Surely if it balls up you will need more water to cover the same surface area? Hydrophobic glass balls up the water and takes longer to rinse, you talk like I have never used a cold water system, news is 6 years experience. So I am talking from experience, do you have hot water system?

When you have had Hotwash you never would go back to cold, it's like regression.
Done lots of test with heated water, spotting can be a problem if you are quick and/or don’t rinse thoroughly

Tecbuk brushes have only been around 3 years, since 2010. 1lt per min means you must be working slower, for whatever reasons; it’s a good chance the brush you use is causing this. Your experience will tell you need to clean longer applying more brush strokes, so you can turn your water flow down because of this.

Bigger water droplets are better; the brush should work with the water on the window. Tecbuk brushes have an easy spread on the glass with up to 60-80 square inches of bristles. They can be used very fast with the correct water flow you can cover 1 square metre in glass if a few seconds, and you don’t always need to rinse, not the case with heated water.

1litre of water per minute is just not enough with these brushes, you can still clean, but slower, but you would only be wasting time.

If it helps - 1 litre of water will cover 1 square metre of glass to a depth of 1mm – with good brush you don’t need anywhere near this amount of water. The average house can have 10-15 square metres of glass or as a basic rule 20% of the floor area of the house.

Richard

I will leave this one to a competition video, spotting is not caused by Hot water. It is by the lack of knowledge that the user during testing has. Obviously you miss the point of pure water Richard probably due to lack of care and attention to the finest details. Maybe you should check your website spelling for fine details before you answer that one. Lmao

Hotwash, can I ask you, how does your equipment stand up to hot water?

I saw RC propertys equipment like the hose and it was all twisted, you must get this? No? Do you get special hose etc.

How does your brush stand up to hot water too, what brush do you use?

Back