Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratched Sills

rich_82

Hi, A customer of mine showed me their sills... ALL SCRATCHED !!! they asked me wether my brush caused it ?

I replied...no chance at all because my brushes are specially designed for window cleaners i can show u if u like /emoticons/smile.png

They replied back to me saying no its okay we were just wondering so and so, basically i think my brush can scratch it... ive noticed that when im scrubbing sideways on the windows my brush head is marking along on the sills so im now being careful.

I gather that many of us have had this problem as ive seen a lot of threads about this before.

Trying using the bristles to clean the sills, rather than the brush head, I've heard that's best anyhow...

LOOOOL I kid I kid j/k

Hi, A customer of mine showed me their sills... ALL SCRATCHED !!! they asked me wether my brush caused it ?

I replied...no chance at all because my brushes are specially designed for window cleaners i can show u if u like /emoticons/smile.png

They replied back to me saying no its okay we were just wondering so and so, basically i think my brush can scratch it... ive noticed that when im scrubbing sideways on the windows my brush head is marking along on the sills so im now being careful.

I gather that many of us have had this problem as ive seen a lot of threads about this before.
Cleaning the window sills is quick & easy - your ‘window cleaning brush’ should have a very narrow brush stock with a much wider bristle splay. Used correctly, at a slight angle the brush stock won’t touch the window sill when cleaning it.

Example: My brushes, Tecbuk Aerial brushes have aprox 40mm wide brush stock & a much larger 100mm bristle splay. Look for this feature when you buy another brush.

Richard

Why don't brush manufacturers make the stock out of white material rather than black?
The colour of the brush stock doesn’t cause the scratch. A cheap brush made with cheap materials will leave coloured marks of a window sills, so avoid these at all cost as most uPVC windows are white. (you don’t even want to use these brushes even if they have a white brush stock, as it will still leave marks.)

Point noted though and I will consider using a white material as well, but still keep the Black.

Richard

Hi, what is the best brush for me ?
For maintenance cleans predominately a brush with a non absorbent monofilament, these brushes should (will) be faster to use. If you’re going to do the final rinse thoroughly for each pane of glass then you can use an absorbent monofilament, you will also get better scrubbing ability with any absorbent brush bristle. A full Boars Hair brush is a must if you clean self cleaning glass/ Solar Panels, conserve roofs etc

I do make genuine Hybrid brush for wfp, a lot other manufactures mostly change the colour of the brush bristles for the look/ identification purposes, some suppliers don’t even know what they are selling. The added benefits when cleaning with some of these brushes with different coloured bristles is zero, so be careful.

Richard

ive had a few pack in due to the brush head straching the window. i use a viking brush head from pure freedom. is there anything we can buy to go around the perimeter of the brush head for protection? as pure freedom have nothing, i am thinking like a rubber ring around it

Ditch that viking brush, they are dreadful for marking. I've use a few gardiner brushes witch I find very good but I'm going to buy a tecbuk next to see how good they are.

ive had a few pack in due to the brush head straching the window. i use a viking brush head from pure freedom. is there anything we can buy to go around the perimeter of the brush head for protection? as pure freedom have nothing, i am thinking like a rubber ring around it
Vikan are good vehicle cleaning brushes, wfp window cleaning has moved on now.

Window cleaning suppliers who don’t window clean themselves usually sell Vikan brushes. The bigger window cleaning firms still use them because they are cheap and they might buy a dozen or more at a time for there staff – keeping this kind of cost down is truly a false economy.

As a sole trader you might only replace 1-4 brushes per year, at best you might spend £130 on replacements brushes and you they should last for £50,000 pounds worth of work before you need to replace them.

Richard

(I had a good chat with the owner of Pure Freedom at the trade show, I told him to stop selling those brushes, there rubbish for wfp, but you get one when you buy a system & there cheap – the staff don’t window clean, you see, they do make decent wfp systems.)

if i buy another brush head will they fit onto my pure freedom pole or can certain poles only fit with certain brush heads? can you tell me exactly the best brush head to purchase?

There are only a few companies who change the brush attachment to suit them, so your limited to buying there equipment. Chances are you have the industry standard pole thread.

Richard

Latest Posts

Back