Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help With Van Mount System

alex1987

I have a 56 plate VW Caddy, which I plan to install a 400/500lt tank in. I need advice on how best to go about it and what I will need exactly. I buy my water from a supplier so will not need to install an RO, but maybe have a DI just as a polisher. can someone advise me on what the best equipment would be, bearing in mind I only do residential currently. Thanks.

I have a 56 plate VW Caddy, which I plan to install a 400/500lt tank in. I need advice on how best to go about it and what I will need exactly. I buy my water from a supplier so will not need to install an RO, but maybe have a DI just as a polisher. can someone advise me on what the best equipment would be, bearing in mind I only do residential currently. Thanks.
If you intend to fill the 400 or 500 you will be massively over weight. My friend has a 400 tank in his caddy and was stopped last year. Was overweight!

If you intend to fill the 400 or 500 you will be massively over weight. My friend has a 400 tank in his caddy and was stopped last year. Was overweight!
I really doubt I would be over weight. My van has a 750kg payload. 400ltrs = 400kg, my weight 85kg, lets say another 100kg for bits, still leaves me 100kg short of the capacity

I really doubt I would be over weight. My van has a 750kg payload. 400ltrs = 400kg, my weight 85kg, lets say another 100kg for bits, still leaves me 100kg short of the capacity
tank weight itself, tank frame weight, poles, hose reel and hose, just a hose reel can weigh upto 30kg when full of water, pumps, hose from tank to pump to hose reel, it all addeds up,

plus the weight of the di if you fit it,

400kg for water.

20kg for frame

85kg for you

30kg for tank

30kg for £30 worth of fuel.

Leaving 185kg for everything else.

FYI I would check your 750kg payload.

Only one caddy has a payload higher than 720kg and that is an 800kg payload.

I was hoping for some information on what equipment I would need, for arguments sake lets just ignore the payload, I mean I can always get a smaller tank like 250ltrs. Just like some advice on products to have a basic van setup.

400kg for water.

20kg for frame

85kg for you

30kg for tank

30kg for £30 worth of fuel.

Leaving 185kg for everything else.

FYI I would check your 750kg payload.

Only one caddy has a payload higher than 720kg and that is an 800kg payload.
I think your right it is 720kg not 750kg, you can thank wiki for that bit of information lol.
so that leaves me 150kg for pole and pump etc, but I would probably not fill the tank fully, leaving an extra 30kg-50kg of space.

having said all that, do you think that would be ok, and also what sort of stuff do I need, I've heard about relays for charging and so on, but I know little about the setup.

Will let someone else answer then in detail. As you need to work out what you can carry before you can start offering equipment. Somebody will give you the wrong info and you will be driving around overweight.

For instance ionics 400 L would need a min pay load of about 850kg.

You could go down the pure freedom route.

Asking for a 400/500L system then next breath saying you can fit a

250 tank doesn't make any sense.

I was trying to help. I have kitted out numerous vans ranging from DYI to tucker poles to ionics to

Pure freedom and lastly helped on a grippa tank only last week.

Anyways good luck.

Will let someone else answer then in detail. As you need to work out what you can carry before you can start offering equipment. Somebody will give you the wrong info and you will be driving around overweight.

For instance ionics 400 L would need a min pay load of about 850kg.

You could go down the pure freedom route.

Asking for a 400/500L system then next breath saying you can fit a

250 tank doesn't make any sense.

I was trying to help. I have kitted out numerous vans ranging from DYI to tucker poles to ionics to

Pure freedom and lastly helped on a grippa tank only last week.

Anyways good luck.
I probably was not clear that I will be installing a DIY system, very basic, not using pure freedom or anyone like that. The point about the 250ltr tank is that if that is all my van can handle that is what I put in. Sorry if you were offended, I wasn't being rude, just wanted a basic list of the sort of things I needed.

No problem. I will check back later to see what's what.

I think I have a nice layout for a caddy

No problem. I will check back later to see what's what.

I think I have a nice layout for a caddy
thanks very much, it is really appreciate, I'm lost in a world of jargon. Never thought it would be so complex

Right basically you are looking at the following........

Frame & Tank

The problem with the caddy is i "think" it has the same floor design as my van which is a false floor onto a car chassis. You can either strap the tank down or put the tank in a frame. Me personally i would look at welding the floor with 4 plates, with nuts in. Then have a cage that can offer up to it. Thats what i have done in my van. It is a lot safer and will make the van more rigid to drive. It sounds a lot of work but it isnt. 4 small squares are cut from van floor plates welded in with a nut on the underneath. Cage bolts into that. You can strap the tank in, but no way would i do that. Tank wise for cheapness you are looking at a wydale tank. They range from 5L to god knows (30,000L) Me personally i would look at a twin tank set up. The reason for that is you get "double" the amount of baffles and usually its the best way to save space. something like twin 250L wydale tanks would be awesome. If not then look at the upright 350 or upright 400 (both from wydale)

If you are willing to spend a bit more then for 400£ you can pick up plastic welded tanks off ebay........ Loads of baffling, custom outlets!

Pump

Dead easy this, look for shurflo pumps. Ideally you want a 5L / 5.1L / 5.2L You then run the pump WITH the pressure switch. couple this to an ANALOGUE flow controller and you have got you pump and control sorted out for around £200 or less

Battery.

Dont mess about with taking in batteries at night to charge. Buy a nice leisure battery 85ah ish for around £60 then hook up a proper split charge relay kit (£20) Then you a battery box to put it in (£15) Forget about it and the battery charges when it can.

Hose reel

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm hard one this. Me personally i would be buying a professional one for around £350 with proper 3000psi fittings. If not then you can buy a "fast reel" with microbore hose for around £130 all in. It will leak from fittings they all do!

Backpack

For easy access to hard houses, pick ya self up a "bigboy back pack" they are so worth it!

Fittings

As for plumbing and wiring DEAD EASY. Plenty of peole can help with that.

That will get you started.

Have a look on cleaningspot.co.uk under the waterfed pole section. You will the start to get a "feel for what i am talking about" then come back with questions /emoticons/smile.png

Right basically you are looking at the following........

Frame & Tank

The problem with the caddy is i "think" it has the same floor design as my van which is a false floor onto a car chassis. You can either strap the tank down or put the tank in a frame. Me personally i would look at welding the floor with 4 plates, with nuts in. Then have a cage that can offer up to it. Thats what i have done in my van. It is a lot safer and will make the van more rigid to drive. It sounds a lot of work but it isnt. 4 small squares are cut from van floor plates welded in with a nut on the underneath. Cage bolts into that. You can strap the tank in, but no way would i do that. Tank wise for cheapness you are looking at a wydale tank. They range from 5L to god knows (30,000L) Me personally i would look at a twin tank set up. The reason for that is you get "double" the amount of baffles and usually its the best way to save space. something like twin 250L wydale tanks would be awesome. If not then look at the upright 350 or upright 400 (both from wydale)

If you are willing to spend a bit more then for 400£ you can pick up plastic welded tanks off ebay........ Loads of baffling, custom outlets!

Pump

Dead easy this, look for shurflo pumps. Ideally you want a 5L / 5.1L / 5.2L You then run the pump WITH the pressure switch. couple this to an ANALOGUE flow controller and you have got you pump and control sorted out for around £200 or less

Battery.

Dont mess about with taking in batteries at night to charge. Buy a nice leisure battery 85ah ish for around £60 then hook up a proper split charge relay kit (£20) Then you a battery box to put it in (£15) Forget about it and the battery charges when it can.

Hose reel

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm hard one this. Me personally i would be buying a professional one for around £350 with proper 3000psi fittings. If not then you can buy a "fast reel" with microbore hose for around £130 all in. It will leak from fittings they all do!

Backpack

For easy access to hard houses, pick ya self up a "bigboy back pack" they are so worth it!

Fittings

As for plumbing and wiring DEAD EASY. Plenty of peole can help with that.

That will get you started.

Have a look on cleaningspot.co.uk under the waterfed pole section. You will the start to get a "feel for what i am talking about" then come back with questions /emoticons/smile.png
wow thank you so much, that is really detailed and has given me a much clearer idea of what I need, With regards to the welding, is it a case of just looking up for a local welder and getting them to custom fit the 4 plates?

Also when you say straps, I assume you're talking about the ones used to secure cargo in a normal lorry and not the metal straps here that actually bolt into the floor. http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/Floor-Fit_Modular_Straps.html

It is yeah. But you need to check if you have a false floor or not. I'm sure the caddy has got a false floor

If you bought an off the shelf cage and bolted it in. You would be able to do the nut up. As you won't see the end of the bolt. The end of the bolt will be in the false floor.

It is yeah. But you need to check if you have a false floor or not. I'm sure the caddy has got a false floor

If you bought an off the shelf cage and bolted it in. You would be able to do the nut up. As you won't see the end of the bolt. The end of the bolt will be in the false floor.
I see what you mean, how do I check if I have a false floor or not. Mine is ply lined, sorry for being a complete novice.

I would search on the Internet tbh and have a look as I really can't remember or ask vw.

On my combo I had an access panel. When I lifted it up I could see the "corsa" floor plan.

So to do the bolt up with a nut I need like a ft long bolt.

Latest Posts

Back