Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Size Pole For 3 Story Dormers

steve32

A new one for me, but been dropping some flyers on a new estate and just had an email requesting a quote. I haven't got a pole that will do the job but willing to buy one as all the properties in the area are new and only 50% occupied so im edging my bets that i will pick up work in this area. But they are all 3 story and have dormers in the roof. But have a 4-5ft sloping roof coming from the bottom of the dormer window. Due to the angle of the roof im guessing i will need something around 36View attachment 3182ft plus, does anyone do houses similar ?? and give me an idea on what ill need ? ( I have a picture of a similar style property in the area thats for sale on the web.

Thanking you!

View attachment 1929

Cheers kips pal. I will take your advice, unbeknown to you i have taken your advice before and will take it again. Yeah it wouldn't be good if i bought a new pole and realised on the job i was two foot to short.

I'd get a 40 footer just to be on the safe side, with the angles and the overhangs..
Yes, I also agree with this.

This pole length should be treated as an investment. It won't be your everyday pole and it should last you for years.

Mark was you standing on tippy toes or maybe bouncing on a trampoline to get to those 2 velux roof windows :Image10:

Mind you I think myself.a 40ft pole is a bit of an overkill just to do box standard 3 storey windows :Image16:

If you are going to do loads of 3 storey work then my advice would be buy the lightest most rigid wfp you can afford that will reach what you need to reach and no more. Reason being the extra sections not being used only adds extra weight to the pole. So in turn adds extra unnecessary fatigue in your working day unless you take the sections off when not required.

im with smuf in this one,

30f pole can do third story on new house easy,

what pole do u have already ? can u not just get an extention to your pole ?

or buy a 35f pole max, thats unless you have money to burn......

In newer built houses you can touch the ceiling inside without a ladder. Therfore each storey is less than 8ft with a 27ft pole you should be fine. If it was skylights you would just be okay too.

I do lots like that design and they are easy with a 27 ft pole.

I did this morning and i can reach it easy with a clx 27
Really, it must just be deceiving when you look at them with the sloped roof because it looks like you need much more length. Well that is a result then, i dont have to invest to much then. What size are you using on the velux ? because most of these houses have them to

im with smuf in this one,

30f pole can do third story on new house easy,

what pole do u have already ? can u not just get an extention to your pole ?

or buy a 35f pole max, thats unless you have money to burn......
I have a cheap phoenix 22ft. Everything i currently do is just your average 2 story house and it does me just fine. It doesn't put stress on me and because it doesn't need fully extending its rigid enough and works well. But i intend to get the other side of this new estate and need to be able to reach them dormers and velux. I can buy a section for my pole cheap enough that will give me and extra 4ft making it a 26ft pole. Do you think id get away with it ??

If you can add sections would be cheaper I would have thought than getting a new pole. Is 26ft the max height they can do with sections added for your pole and what phoenix did you get?

If you can add sections would be cheaper I would have thought than getting a new pole. Is 26ft the max height they can do with sections added for your pole and what phoenix did you gIet?
I have just got the cheap facelift phoenix glass fibre 22ft. Its been ideal so far and fairly bullet proof tbh. But people are now moving in everyday over the other side of the estate and even the smaller houses are 3 story. I just want to be sure i get the right size pole to do them. They is no guarantee i will get much work as i have only had one enquiry so far so i dont want to spend to much just yet....... If i started picking a few up then i would invest more.
From what i have read i think you can only buy the 1 x 4ft section, ill keep reading to see if i can find any more info on it

I would be looking at a smaller slx pole. Then as and when buy the extensions.

I don't "think" I have used a longer pole than my 30ft extreme yet for windows/velux etc

I would be looking at a smaller slx pole. Then as and when buy the extensions.

I don't "think" I have used a longer pole than my 30ft extreme yet for windows/velux etc
Yeah i have just had a look at them and you seem to get a lot of bang for ya money. Can you just keep adding sections to it ? or are you limited ?

Cheers pal. Definitely sounds like the way forward to be honest. The pole grows with the business I suppose. Is this just the standard slx pole ?

Works out more expensive but you can up to the longest slx. I think 49ft

Back