Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why Is This Downspout Blocked

Indeed RC as it's quite a common issue so just thought I would share the pics for ppl who are new to gutter clearing. :Image9:

done it myself when fitting up guttering, but only use a screw thats just gose through the thickness of the plastic pipe walls, nothing that long! lol

If ppl fit guttering & downspouts properly they should never need to use solvent cement or screws on swan neck joints. :Image3:

even when fitted right they can still work loose due to heat/cold contractions and people smaking them with the gutter vacs! lol they all work loose in time, thats why i do it.

Yep I've been know to do that once or twice before RC...

Thats one good reason why I wear me hard hat when guttervac clearing & cleaning with wfp as if your not careful badly fitted swan necks can fall off onto your head :Image13:

Yep I've been know to do that once or twice before RC...

Thats one good reason why I wear me hard hat when guttervac clearing & cleaning with wfp as if your not careful badly fitted swan necks can fall off onto your head :Image13:
thats true, and sometimes we have found lumps of mortar fall out of them too, thats come out from the ridge tiles

Best one was instead of using me ladder I managed to hook out a big slab of gable end cement fillet about 2" thick by 6" long from a bit of return guttering that I did not realize was so big and heavy. Only problem was if fell the wrong way crashing with a big bang onto a ground floor extension smashing a tile as it hit the pitched roof.

Oops! :Image3:

lucky for me there was spare tiles left by the wall of the house as the extention roof had just been finish so I replaced it before they came home. :Image13:

Remember a couple of years back cleaning some fascia board on a house, and knocked a section of guttering which resulted in a bracket falling off. Not too much of a problem on upvc stuff, but this was a 6 foot section of cast iron, which was only being supported by the down pipe at one end, and my seriously bending pole at the other!

Bolt joining it to the next bit had also rusted through. Luckily, when I lowered it section, the down pipe end jammed against the underside of the tiles, otherwise it would have left a mightly big hole in the slate roof directly below it.

Managed to jam it up against the other section of guttering via a small window. Bracket had rusted through. Customer was absolutely fine about it thankfully - even gave me a £20 tip for the job!

Back