Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I've Quit My Stressful Job, Hoping To Enjoy A Less Stressful Window Cleaning Business

steele

Name : Colin

Cleaning Method : Trad

Years cleaning : 0

Area : Buckinghamshire

About me : About to quit my job as a Deputy Ward Manager at a psychiatric hospital, will still work as an agency nurse to top up mortgage, bill money etc, but hope to earn primarily from working as a window cleaner and garden maintenance.

I'm sure people will tell me not to quit my day job, but if I don't I'm going to get sectioned soon myself. I've enough of the abuse and long hours. It's never too later to change /emoticons/smile.png

I'll be asking many questions, I'll try and read whats already been posted but I apologize in advance if I repeat old topics.

Thanks

Colin

Welcome to to forum Colin. You will find plenty of useful info on here. Search is your friend, but if you can't find what your looking for please post away, their are many helpful members on here.

Hi Mate, well done for taking the plunge. Have you any experience window cleaning? I'm sure we'll all help as much as we can..

Think some on here could do with your help including me :Image3:

Now what was is saying? :Image16:

Oh thats it... welcome Colin

Hi Colin

Not to far away from you, Oxfordshire, and i'm just about to start building a small round for myself too, around 60 or 65 houses to add on to my carpet cleaning business.

Good luck, i know what it's like to be stressed, i use to be a Sup-Postmaster running a busy Post Office but after 2 years couldn't take it any longer so sold, retrained as a mortgage adviser at begining of 2007 only for the market to crash in early 2008 and being a carpet cleaner since and soon to be window cleaner, hardly every have any stress now, its been hard work though and some months have been very tough financially.

Best of luck.

Colin, you only live once. Do what makes you happy. I can honestly say if I won the lotto I'd still clean windows. Not as many as I do now, I'd sack the jobs/people I dislike and do the nice ones in my own leisurely time.

Go for it, it's ace!

Hia Colin welcome. My bro is in a similar job and he sounds just like you, I won't suggest he does same though he pays me good money to clean his windows.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I have minimal experience cleaning windows. This afternoon I've cleaned mine, my neighbours and my parents. I watched some videos and pieced together a kit out of the garage, got better with each window. It felt very therapeutic actually.

Looking forward to getting started.

Cheers

Colin

Good luck mate I am no stranger to your soon to be ex job.Window cleaning is therapy :Image7: look out for custs :Image2:

Haha, sure. I'm hoping I'm well prepared for the odd difficult customer after years of working in psychiatry. I just need the customers.... going out canvassing tomorrow /emoticons/smile.png

Hello and welcome, I'm a new comer on here to and was made redundant from the local council, was a Licensing principle, have a poke about and enjoy your new venture.

Welcome Colin.....your in the right place mate the guys are all friendly n helpful on here. /emoticons/smile.png

Name : Colin

Cleaning Method : Trad

Years cleaning : 0

Area : Buckinghamshire

About me : About to quit my job as a Deputy Ward Manager at a psychiatric hospital, will still work as an agency nurse to top up mortgage, bill money etc, but hope to earn primarily from working as a window cleaner and garden maintenance.

I'm sure people will tell me not to quit my day job, but if I don't I'm going to get sectioned soon myself. I've enough of the abuse and long hours. It's never too later to change /emoticons/smile.png

I'll be asking many questions, I'll try and read whats already been posted but I apologize in advance if I repeat old topics.

Thanks

Colin
I would drop the garden side of things and choose window cleaning. Always work on your prices, especially if you are slow (trad or wfp); the market size is still likely to be much bigger than the competition.

For the sole trader, window cleaning has always been about increasing profit, not increasing turnover by gaining another low priced customer. Put simply you can have 150 customers at £25 or 500 customers at £7.50 – as you build your round up, you build your prices up at the same time.

Good luck with it all

Richard

I would drop the garden side of things and choose window cleaning. Always work on your prices, especially if you are slow (trad or wfp); the market size is still likely to be much bigger than the competition.

For the sole trader, window cleaning has always been about increasing profit, not increasing turnover by gaining another low priced customer. Put simply you can have 150 customers at £25 or 500 customers at £7.50 – as you build your round up, you build your prices up at the same time.

Good luck with it all

Richard
Thanks for the advice Richard, I'm looking to start slow and have actually been signed off sick for 6 weeks so can't start working till after anyway. In that time I thought I could do some canvassing, get a route going. I hope to get at least 50 customers a month initially and work from there.

In the next 6 weeks i'll also get my kit ready, practice on friends and family, prepare a website, print flyers, business cards and go for it full speed once sick leave is complete and my head is clear of stress, depression etc.

Thanks again

Colin

Back