Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fumming!

jason78

Hi guys,

I have ordered my starter kit for a two man crew to start in the window cleaning business. All traditional and a wagtail. The chap im supposed to be doing it with is the driver as I don't have a license at the moment. Well he has only gone and said he dosnt want in anymore! So my question is, can I still earn money without transport. I mean my missus can drop me here or there in-between her work as she is self employed. I mean do I still try I just give up before I even start? Oh and what the hell am I to do with £200 worth of gear if I do give up. Im totally gutted!! I have no customers yet I was going to start canvassing today so at least I don't have to worry about letting people down.

Dont give up mate !!!!

Get ya ladder out and go knocking some doors do not be defeated by this little hickup .

when you have built a substantial business and your "mate" is sat at home or whatever and you are raking it in he will be kicking himself for it .

Theres a guy near me he works on his own and he walks everywhere on his round as he doesnt drive he cleans 400 custies fornightly

so its more than doable .

this is only a tiny hickup just get out there and get knocking them doors .

Now that is just the advice I needed mate. Can you recommend a ladder that's gonna be light and what height do I need? Thanks.

Go for it. I see a windy walking with a cart, it's got big bike wheels on it and it's painted with window cleaner and his phone number on it. Ladders are strapped to the side of it. It looks pretty cool tbh.

I've seen a lad knocking about on a push bike before now, seriously I don't know how he manages it.

Sell the other gear you will get your money back if not a bit more.

I may be after a wagtail.

If your set in your mind that you are going to do it and think by buying the gear you have just go for. I knew a guy that bused it. Would leave two sets of ladders on his round. The cart sound s like a good idea or bike with a trailer. You have loads of options and you get loads of good advise on the forum .

You need a set of doubles with 13 rungs this would cover you for all your work including any guttering jobs that you pick up

Have a look at midland ladders website I have found these the best value .

Sorry to hear mate.Go for it and make it happen or you will always wonder''what if''

GOOD LUCK MATE AS THEY SAY we reap what we sow so go on get out there drop some flyers and feel proud that one day you will reap a good business.

We all have to start somewhere 3 years ago i started with 8 customers and now have 100s on a monthly basis GOOD LUCK HAPPY CLEANING

Go for it mate, get a push bike, if your good at DIY, build a little wooden trailed and load a couple of 20l bottles with water and ta da.

You can do it mate, don't sweat about your mate, it's usually best on your own to get going

Thanks for the feedback guys, i've actually been talking to my brother in law today and he is out of work aswel. he wants in on it, so we are going at it as a two man team. Im actually more excited about this lad, as I had my doubts about the other guy anyway. we are going out canvassing on Friday to see if we can get £100 worth of work to do on Monday/tuesday. just so we can dip our toes. *deep breath*............... Im not saying we are going to please everyone and make a ton of cash In a week, because im a realist. I do have a really good feeling about this trade though /emoticons/smile.png

triple 2.0 metre Abru ladders in BnQ are a good bet. these are professional not DIY . i started off 5 yrs ago with a set of these and very light they are too , i did a year with them before i got a van .

later i sold them and got almost what i paid for them too

Jason - you must be fuming as well - LOL

Get over it - thats business - he probably would not have lasted in the winter anyway.

You cant give up as you have not started yet! The tools will not go to waste - because

you will get started, you have a passion and that is good in business.

Go and get your canvassing done - start loal so you can "walk" your round - I did that

for years.... once you get some money in you can start planning about learning to drive

and getting transport ( having said that - your wife could start giving you lessons now!)

You can work without transport may take a little longer but it can be done, as I said start

local - like next door and work outwards from there. If you get a customer in an area away

from your area try to build up at least half a day there ... then your wife could drop you there.

Another way is to drop off another set of ladders at an area have a couple of trusted

customers that you can leave your ladders with and work between them. Then you can

hop on a bus with your bucket etc.

I have taken taxis - with mops and buckets in and even taken ladders on a bus before!

Do what it takes and show your mate and yourself that you are serious - make it happen.

ON a final point - there are thousands of people supposedly looking for work - do you not think

one of them would join you? even for a tempory period.

Hope this works - gota dash now do some work.

Btw I started 40 years ago now employ 6 with another 3 coming on boardat end of this month

for a large contract - it is out there go for it.

Go for it!! and dont sit around on this forum all day - you have work to do.

Robert

Also agree with everyone just for for it in particular love the idea of the dust cart! I started last November with 6 customers and am now approaching 200 regular customers /emoticons/smile.png keep pushing it

Hope it goes well with your canvassing. Make sure you have a look at the canvassing posts on the forum. Tried and tested methods that will get you building a round in no time

As all of above....

Lets hope you can learn the skills of traditional window cleaning as it's not as easy as it looks.

Unger have some good tutorial vids that you might like to view.

Here is one for example

Here is a vid of the chap in the unger tutorials explaining about his window cleaning bike.

Latest Posts

Back