Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Questions Questions Questions!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mufcglen

hi guys,not been on for a while, last time i was on i was really interesting and giving it a go on my own but got sidetracked with lots of work of my stepdad as i help him with rental property maintenance, however i been quiet the last few weeks and after cleaning my own windows yesterday with all my unger equipment i got i really enjoyed it and thought why not get this plan going properly, ive started a business before but gave it up as i didnt like working late nights and drunks but i did well building customers and my own website so feel i have some experience in start up and ive got the van already with a few sets of ladders and a little bit of unger equipment, now i have a fair few questions and would really appreciatte any replies!

1. i was using unger liquid but run out and used fairy liquid today that seemed pretty good, what do you guys recommend the most?

2. how many houses do you clean on average before you empty your bucket for fresh water?

3.technique- first i scrub the windows with the wagtail, then using my microfibre soaked i go all around the frame getting dirt and cobwebs off and just rub the glass inside the frame edge all round, then i squeegie the window and finally using a dryish micro towel i go over the whole frame and and just wipe that little bit around the edge of the glass the squeegie doesnt get too!, does this sound ok as a technique?

4.im going to start canvassing when i got a load of cards made up but do any of you have preference for using cards or leaflets?

5.payment, am i best just collecting at end of week or collecting daily?

6.upvc cleaner, does anyone have any good recommendations for a good cleaner for getting dirty marks etc and shining up upvc frames?

7. should i offer a service for cleaning fascia and frame separate to windows or just do it all as one price, my mum has a cleaner who charges her £20 just for her 3 front bay windows and small porch on her semi and they dont even do the frames at the price!, i thought thats a bit expensive?

8. finally if im canvassing on a road and theres window cleaners there should i just disapeer somewhere else as i know its a sacred rule not to undercut anouther cleaner but i feel my prices will be cheaper than some others if going off my mums home is anything to go by,£20 for 15 minute work with no frames seems pretty expensive to me, think i'd charge around £10 and do the frames for that but im not gonna try and undercut people as i dont want to make a name for myself!

i know theres plenty of questions but im an eager beaver lol, and would really appreciatte any advice

Ecover

I don't use a bucket I use a sprayer so only sleeve gets dirty so I change.

Frames are usually pretty clean after initial clean for me so soap glass, squeegee off, detail then just wipe over frame.

Don't canvass myself.

Collect thursday, friday or both.

Magic sponge gets most marks off, but folks use loads of stuff.

What a rip off lol, that one is personal preference, fascia though deffo extra.

Canvass where ya want business is business.

and breath

Ecover

Wipe frames.aplicator. Squeegee. Detail. Sil.

Leaflets

Once a week

?

One price

Don't undercut. But still leaflet it. If a customers happy with there windie there stick with him but people move house all the time so definitely canvass. I bet we've all had people canvass on our "patch"

fantastic!

thanks very much for replies guys, been reading loads of the forum posts and seems mixed views on this ecover, some people refer to it as syrup but still think i'll give it a go.

im thinking with having a little swb van rather than a car i'll have a bit more room carrying spares and extra water etc so i get hold hold of a few 25 ltr plastic tanks to fill so i change water more regular when it gets dirty.

im going to buy a few more unger accesories to complete my outfit and definately need more microfibre towels, ive found if i have a constantly dry one it nicer to final detail windows.

four final questions honestly!, wfp systems, when ive seen people use them, why dont they squeegie off afterwards and will it not leave water drop stains from drying out on window glass?

secondly prices im thinking about for my area in cheshire, roughly £5 averaged terraced front 1 up 1 down and door, £5 rear, again semi 2 up 2 down and door roughly £8 front and depending on rears same again, but do i charge extra for porches as mine takes alot longer to clean with the silly little windows and lots more upvc.

does these prices sound about right, im trying to go in at a good price but not a price where i will not want to do it in a few weeks!

thirdly whats the best way of working my round,trying to do it monthly or try and get them fortnightly, i know some customers might want it just once but i imagine it gets hard and confusing having a mixed round like going on a road and having some houses twice a month and some once!

finally finally, might sound a silly question but what sort of weather do you guys not work in, like raining etc?

really appreciatte all the helpfull advice.

1/ it's pure water so drys spotless

2/ can't say with prices as differ wherever your from

3/ to start you do anything the customer wants. No prob having monthly & bi- monthly in same road. 1 month you do the monthly & next month you do the monthly & bi-monthlys

4/ most wfp guys work in all weather. Trad ok if drizzling but not if heavy rain.

Ecover

I don't use a bucket I use a sprayer so only sleeve gets dirty so I change.

Frames are usually pretty clean after initial clean for me so soap glass, squeegee off, detail then just wipe over frame.

Don't canvass myself.

Collect thursday, friday or both.

Magic sponge gets most marks off, but folks use loads of stuff.

What a rip off lol, that one is personal preference, fascia though deffo extra.

Canvass where ya want business is business.

and breath
Ayup, is it a garden type sprayer? Do you use ladders or just a Harris?Cheers

hi guys,not been on for a while, last time i was on i was really interesting and giving it a go on my own but got sidetracked with lots of work of my stepdad as i help him with rental property maintenance, however i been quiet the last few weeks and after cleaning my own windows yesterday with all my unger equipment i got i really enjoyed it and thought why not get this plan going properly, ive started a business before but gave it up as i didnt like working late nights and drunks but i did well building customers and my own website so feel i have some experience in start up and ive got the van already with a few sets of ladders and a little bit of unger equipment, now i have a fair few questions and would really appreciatte any replies!

1. i was using unger liquid but run out and used fairy liquid today that seemed pretty good, what do you guys recommend the most?

2. how many houses do you clean on average before you empty your bucket for fresh water?

3.technique- first i scrub the windows with the wagtail, then using my microfibre soaked i go all around the frame getting dirt and cobwebs off and just rub the glass inside the frame edge all round, then i squeegie the window and finally using a dryish micro towel i go over the whole frame and and just wipe that little bit around the edge of the glass the squeegie doesnt get too!, does this sound ok as a technique?

4.im going to start canvassing when i got a load of cards made up but do any of you have preference for using cards or leaflets?

5.payment, am i best just collecting at end of week or collecting daily?

6.upvc cleaner, does anyone have any good recommendations for a good cleaner for getting dirty marks etc and shining up upvc frames?

7. should i offer a service for cleaning fascia and frame separate to windows or just do it all as one price, my mum has a cleaner who charges her £20 just for her 3 front bay windows and small porch on her semi and they dont even do the frames at the price!, i thought thats a bit expensive?

8. finally if im canvassing on a road and theres window cleaners there should i just disapeer somewhere else as i know its a sacred rule not to undercut anouther cleaner but i feel my prices will be cheaper than some others if going off my mums home is anything to go by,£20 for 15 minute work with no frames seems pretty expensive to me, think i'd charge around £10 and do the frames for that but im not gonna try and undercut people as i dont want to make a name for myself!

i know theres plenty of questions but im an eager beaver lol, and would really appreciatte any advice
1- we use ecover, you can get from tescos or sainsburys, try get them on offer and buy bulk..

2- I refill bucket when there's none left!!

3- technique of a pro

4- cards or flyers, I have ran out of both and have been knocking just with my "windows cleaned today" cards..

5- collecting at the end of the week.. Although I'm getting fed up collecting, so offering other methods to try and free up some time for myself..

6- cif or cream cleaner works well.. But recently I had just been using magic sponges with soapy water.. Brings frames up gleaming

7- tell your mum to sack him!! Windows are glass and frames... But offer fascia etc as another service..

8- undercutting is only undercutting if you say.. I'll do it cheaper!! Don't even ask for the last guys price.. Just tell them what U want to charge.. IF you happen to be cheaper.. Then that's up to the customer to decide.. Tho customers who go for cheaper quotes will prob drop you when someone else cheaper knocks their door.. It's a windy eat windy world out there!! High prices and bad workmanship you can expect to loose business.. Fair prices, friendly service, quality finish you should keep the customer even if you try to e undercut by someone else!

9- good luck!!!

They are brilliant... Those frames that arre discoloured at the bottoms usually, comes off with very little effort.. And frames are like new again..

They are brilliant... Those frames that arre discoloured at the bottoms usually, comes off with very little effort.. And frames are like new again..
That's brilliant I wonder if wilkos or so were like that sell them

Sprayer is an Unger sprayer on a belt. Used ladders but now wfp upstairs but will say most don't like my method saying glass is too dry but try it with any sprayer first cos ya might ya never know.

Back