Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Squeegee Technique - Flipping Rubber

WCF

Help Support WCF:

steele

Been practicing today on my windows today with my new Unger squeegee, i cut an 18" to make a 12" and a 6" and with each stroke it is getting better but...

When I make a down stroke then flick the wrist to come back across the window 1 out of 5 times the rubber flips on it self a little, leaving an uncleaned part and I have to return to it on the next stroke.

I'm using a soft rubber and have ordered some hard rubber, would this be a cause? Or is it something else with my technique. I've watched a fair few videos and I am improving but this flipping rubber is annoying.

Cheers

C

hi pal,ive had the same problem with my technique, im wondering if its because the turn is to short if you know what i mean without turning wider angle maybe?

Cheers for the reply, I'm thinking it may be the glass is too dry due to the sudden summer we are experiencing. Will a harder rubber help in this heat?

My rubber overhangs by a few mm's each end. Is that not right?

C

The over hang sounds OK. I use soft all the time (I used to use hard all the time). Try this experiment, mop up a patio door fully and blade it off, then mop up and blade the same door, but only half at a time (top half then bottom half) using the same amount of water/soap solution. See if there's a difference.

If blading half at a time works, it's the unexpected summer heat :)

If you havent enough ''soap'' in your water your blade wont glide easily and will drag as you turn rubber can flip on you.Too much soap not good either especially in the heat cus it dries on glass.Try different amounts and different ''soap'' and you will find what works best for you.

Been practicing today on my windows today with my new Unger squeegee, i cut an 18" to make a 12" and a 6" and with each stroke it is getting better but...

When I make a down stroke then flick the wrist to come back across the window 1 out of 5 times the rubber flips on it self a little, leaving an uncleaned part and I have to return to it on the next stroke.

I'm using a soft rubber and have ordered some hard rubber, would this be a cause? Or is it something else with my technique. I've watched a fair few videos and I am improving but this flipping rubber is annoying.

Cheers

C
You could try this. When blading along an edge and you come to a corner, keep the squeegee at the same angle and move along the next edge, once you're away from the corner, on the straight, you can change your angle.

Latest Posts

Back