Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Mk 4 Golf Tdi Advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

petehughesy

ive got a mk4 golf 1.9 tdi SE which has a pretty bad whistling coming from the turbo, it was driving and sounding fine, then literally with in a hour i got in it and went to drive it and as soon as i touched the throttle the turbo was making a really loud whistle noise, quite a high pitched noise, sound silly but it sounds almost like a siren in a way.

the sound is worse when you drive it and go through the gears, as appose to it standing and reving it.

the car isnt loosing any power it still drives the same, it was taken into a garage yesterday and i was told it needed a new seal on one of the hoses, but on getting the car back its no different and the noise is just as bad, and the garage said they cant see were its coming from or what it is.

anybody got any idea? is the turbo on the way? or could it be something like a barring or something sinple?

Dont really know mate as long as your not loosing power thats good, the turbo wont be on its way , I had a golf mk4 gti vw's are the best cars!!! Will inbox you mate. Plus get the car remapped /emoticons/wink.png my mk4 was sooo fast !!!!

That's what I was going to inbox him tuffers , didn't think I could post other forums on here

Dont really know mate as long as your not loosing power thats good, the turbo wont be on its way , I had a golf mk4 gti vw's are the best cars!!! Will inbox you mate. Plus get the car remapped /emoticons/wink.png my mk4 was sooo fast !!!!

Yeah the car isn't loosing power mate is runs sweet, somebody said it could be the intercooler hose that may have perished so ill have to check, one thing I noticed you can be stationary and rev it and it doesn't make a sound, and yet when your driving you hardly have to give it any revs and it whistles really loud

with Turbos just be very cautious as they can go in a second, just hope it don't high rev and blow white smoke, that means its gone.

Yeah the car isn't loosing power mate is runs sweet, somebody said it could be the intercooler hose that may have perished so ill have to check, one thing I noticed you can be stationary and rev it and it doesn't make a sound, and yet when your driving you hardly have to give it any revs and it whistles really loud
Problem will be boost related then.

As when standing still, the engine will only be creating vacuum. Once under load it will create boost.

It sounds like a leak somewhere to me. But without hearing it I don't know.

Make sure you get a smoke test done. As I have had several golds bought to me to look at and all been checked for leaks. Yet I found them.

There is a small vacuum hose as well can't remember what it does. It's underneath the main inlet manifold. They are know to split.

But my guess is.

Leak from boost pipe.

Leak from exhaust gasket

Leak from turbo

Leak from exhaust system.

Turbo is gonna go boom. Turbos don't really build up to a failure. They just go.

Plus if turbo was on its way out = look for lots and lots of smoke.

we had the exact same problem, our air intake hose punctured, we got a seal but it broke so ended up just getting a new hose and the prolem was fixed!

Talking of turbo's........

When you say turbo just goes without warning???

Thought my turbo was on the way out ever since I got the car nearly 2 years ago.(astra g a.7 cdti)

So every nown again, when I start the car up, (so not every time) my car makes this vrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooom sound for about 10 seconds, almost like its echoing loud(hard to explain) when accelerating and sometimes it goes quicker if rev even more, then this sound stops and everything goes back to normal.

What could that be then, can't be turbo can it?

Turbo do slowly go but rarely give symptoms so you don't know so it appears to "just go".

If your even slightly worried, just take the air inlet pipe off the turbo (usually a jubilee or c clip) and the wiggle the fins for play and have a look and make sure it's not all oily etc.

It's import with any turbo to service it regularly and use the right oil. And quality oil at that

Back