Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scrim Question

mufcglen

hi guys as a newbie still learning, i got some prewashed scrims from wintecs, which are excellent service and fast postage by the way!

they was massive so i cut them down to 4 squares and decided to have a go with one last night on my own windows and having only used microfibres i wasnt sure whether i used it damp or dry, basically i soaped up glass and then squeegied and then used the damp scrim to wipe frame and sill then finally micro to finish off.

does this sound right or should i use the scrim dry?

I have always used the scrim dry to detail. I only use the fine weave micros on leaded glass where it's much better. Other than that I find scrims better than micros for detailing.

If you are only wiping the frame and sills with a scrim then use it damp. But you should be using normal microfibre cloths for that really. I find scrims are best for detailing.

I can't understand why people buy a nice big scrim and then cut it down. I like my scrims big, they stay drier for longer like this. I squeegee then use my scrim to remove excess water from the frame and inner glass and to wipe the sill then, I use my microfibre for final detailing. I say final detailing because, as your scrim's get older and more 'worn in', the better a detailing tool they become and sometimes, the scrim is all your need. The microfibre is a guarantee. Personally, I think a scrim works best when it's very slightly damp but, it really is a fine margin and too much moisture will leave those smears which is why it's important to keep your microfibre absolutely dry and you do this by, using your scrim to remove the excess water first and....we go round again.
xImage9.png.pagespeed.ic.1xBcXCQe62.png

Mart.

i cut my scrims in to use dry scrim for detailing an wiping sill an fraims simples :Image13: micro fiber for leaded does beter job i think i go throu a lot of cloths in a day if im tradin all day ,tumble dry at end of day gets all dust off an thay stay nce an soft lol

also when scrim cut in half u can tuck them round ur bumbag i carry 8 at a time sometimes, when there wet thay go round my bucket handle till i go bk 2 van

I use 1 scrim a day. I don't use it for sils as like to keep it clean & dry. Mainly use micros for detailing now anyway. I cut my scrims down as got fed up with them flying off my shoulder in the wind & find them easier to use cut in half.

I use 1 scrim a day. I don't use it for sils as like to keep it clean & dry. Mainly use micros for detailing now anyway. I cut my scrims down as got fed up with them flying off my shoulder in the wind & find them easier to use cut in half.
same ear cut in half seems the perfict size,but they do blow off my sholder sometimes usly land an next door garden lol

Back