Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Brush

evo343

Right, having setup my van system, yesterday i did a couple of houses for family. So i have a few questions,

The kit came with a vikan brush, which i didnt find to be very good. Is it just because im new to this, or are the vikan brushes not very good, hence them being included in the kits. What brush would you recommend me buying, i dont have enough cash to go and buy a seperate brush for each job, i.e first cleans, conserv windows etc. So it needs to be good for everyday work but also have enough power for first cleans. I have been looking a tecbuk duel trim hybrid....and gardiners super lite dual trim mixed medium. These any good?

Secondly, i want to be doing gutters and fascias, so i had a go with the vikan, but found it really awkward, and because the bristle are short i couldnt get behind the guttering. So do i need an entirely different brush, or is there an option with longer bristle or splayed , that will do the windows and be able to handle guttering etc. What about a hi-lo brush? Will any brush fit any pole?

Third, the weight of my pole.....i have an xtel 30, anybody else have this? I find it so heavy, is that because ihave not picked up the technique yet, or is it just that heavy. Obviously i have been reading that a carbon slx is the way to go, but will have to raise the cash with my current system first.

Finally is it just me that gets my feet tangled in the trailing hose?! I guess avoiding it is just something i will get used to.

Vikan brushes tend to be the heaviest around, depends which one you have as to whether it's suitable for gutters. Is it a sill brush / hilo.?

Xtel pole is glass fibre that's why it's heavy. Hxtel is carbon hybrid and lighter. But slx ok depending on how the new clamps fair with time. Only time will tell.

For a good all round brush I use a Gardiner super lite sill brush dual trim medium I find it a good multi purpose brush.

Hoses, they have a life of their own, they do become more manageable over time and it's learning where to put them when you clean a property that helps, the more often you do a property the easier it gets as you will remember where it gets caught up on things.

The mighty magical Tecbuk brushes. Not for me thanks. You need to spend money wisely so gardiner sill brush for my recommendation either mixed trim or flat trim they are both great brushes and light too.

Wfp brushes are a very personal choice on different tasks in hand so you need to try different brushes out to see which ones works best for you.

The angle adapter you already have on that pole a gardiner brush will just screw on but make sure when ordering you choose a sutable socket aswell.

Regarding that pole if you don't have the need to have all of the sections fully extended on most jobs you do simply take off the sections you don't use and keep them handy in the van shoud you need to put them back on.

Regarding that pole if you don't have the need to have all of the sections fully extended on most jobs you do simply take off the sections you don't use and keep them handy in the van shoud you need to put them back on.
Thats exactly what i have just done, taken the bottom 2 sections off, so its now 24ft, was going to take 3 sections off but i think then wouldnt be able to reach velux windows. Not the easiest job in the world having to take the pole apart, and remove the hoses etc to get some sections off. Is it an easier job on other poles?

So you recommend this....http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/the-super-lite-radius-sill-brush-dual-trim-medium-bristles-white.html

So i could effectively use this on the glass and sills , then move on and use it for guttering and fascias.

Will gardiners brushes fit onto xtel pole?, i would select a 90 degree socket on the brush, then i will need to buy the angle adaptor, will this fit?

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/resi-neck-screw-on-type-2.html
That's the one I use.

On some is more easier than others depending on clamps and if each section has a stop (tape) on the pole to stop it falling apart whilst extending each section.

A simple john guest 8mm push fitting that fits most pole hose like this http://www.aqua-dapter.co.uk/aqua-dapter/spares/john-guest-speedfit-straight-connector-black-8mm/

makes it easy to thread the pole hose back through just the section you want putting back on also think gardiner does a tap version too. Just cut the pole hose near the hose reel connector so you can quickly take apart and push fit back on so you don't have to thread the whole pole hose again from the bottom which up and out through your plastic angle adapter which is a lot of messing about. :Image9:

But yourself a tecbuk hybrid.. They will be 10 times faster on first cleans.. I wouldn't touch a first clean with a gardiners brush.. Maintenance cleans will be fine until you can afford a tecbuk full polyester!!

Slx would be a good idea.. I have never used an xtel.. And at 30ft I'm sure its a nightmare.. But a tip for when you don't need full length.. Is to not fully extend each section.. This will make the pole alot more rigid.. Tho may feel slightly heavier..

Hose is a pain in the hose!!

And for fascia cleaning.. Can't beat a gardiners sill brush..

Latest Posts

Back