Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My Mission Starts Tomorrow!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mufcglen

Hi guys, I've got my Facebook and gumtree page set up and event a few word of mouth customers already, now I've just had 5000 leaflets delivered from we love flyers, phils a top man and really recommend them!

So tomorrow morning I've got a few roads planned and I'm gonna knock everyone and if no ones in post a flyer with a price on but I'm thinking should I go in quite cheap on these just to try and get the work so I have a basic wage coming in then once I have a few hundred quid which is all I need to live on over the month, I go chasing the decent money making houses and put a higher price in that I'd be happy with but the accepted rate of customers might be less?

What do u guys reckon, I know people say don't go low that you'll not want to do the houses in a month but I'm just thinking it will help set me up with a few quid coming in for now?

Go with your gut feeling and put in a price that you think is reasonable for the amount of time it will take you to do. Having said that don’t get caught out by writing a price on a leaflet if you can’t see the back.

Hardest part is pricing work up as we all at some point have screwed it up. At the end of the day it's your business so do what you think is best for you.

Good luck & keep safe on your ladder :Image9:

Hi guys just an update!

Canvassed one area yesterday and must have done about 75-100 houses and got two cleans,a grumpy old man who said I'm wasting my time as the road already has one so I still did it anyway and had a nice chat with a few others who have my leaflet now and may use me in future!

One thing I am finding is people are saying I'm too expensive and these are like 3 bed semi's with porches and I'm charging a tender for them but they say they're paying about 6-7 quid!

It's taking me nearly an hour on my own to do one of these houses with frames doors and sills so that's what I'm charging, I'd people want to charge less than they can have the work!

Is about an hour way too long to be cleaning a house that size?

Yes, of course an hour is too long but, you're not really cleaning the houses in that sense are you ? you're first cleaning them and there's a big difference. When I first started I was taking an hour on a 3 bed semi because, I was first wiping all the frames and sill with my applicator, then cleaning the window, then using my scrim to wipe the wet frames and sills down.This is what it's all about, you do the hard work the first clean which is why some charge more for it, then after that, it's about maintenance.

Then it's about knowledge of the house, the best way to tackle the window, where to place your ladder etc etc. Many times I will do a larger window in two parts(move ladder) but then after cleaning the window a few times, I find there's a 'hot spot' for my ladder which allows me to cover the window in one....no, not the middle as reach is dependant on which hand you favour but, there's often a spot you won't always find on your first visit.

Of course the next couple of times you visit the house, the windows will be starting to show results as in my opinion, the more you clean a window, the more it shines. By this time, you'll whizz over the window and give the sill the briefest of wipes and the frames won't need touching other than the times they're targeted by some bird with a cob on. As for doors, you did them on day one as a bonus, they won't need touching again for a few months....when you think about them and are ion the mood.

Then of course there's the natural speed to take into account, I don't know whether you've done the job before or not but if not, then you'll be slow especially at the top of the ladder. I had done the job for 3 years over 20 years ago but with a cloth, not a squeegee, and so it took some getting used to as I was finding it very fiddly up there and I still do to some extent.

So, after cleaning the same house a few times, you should notice the time it takes, to drop to 40 minutes, then 30 and then about 20 minutes. But don't worry, the next time you do a first clean, it'll still take you the best part of an hour again and when you're first starting up, you'll have plenty of them to do.

As for the price, that's upto you but I'd say 7 quid is a fair price for your location but, others will no doubt tell you different. I'd say go for that price and try to push 8 if you can and then once you get a half decent round going, review your pricing as you suggested in your O/P.

Hope some of this helps....

Mart.

Think Ive been chasing you boys today in Chester all round Woodlands Drive etc, If it is you boys fair play to you, you've covered loads of ground.

Not me pal, I'm based in Stockport!

As regards my leafleting mission, its not going well, basically I've been knocking and if no ones in I post my quote through, I've been asking people on the footpath as I'm walking about but I'm just finding everywhere I seem to go there's a windy in the area!

Starting to get demotivated now after about 2-300 without a single job, still got 4700 leaflets yet so gonna keep going!

you will get patches like that mate don't be disheartened just keep knocking you will eventually hit a good patch and find loads of work

even if it means hitting areas you wouldn't normally venture . I got a patch in an area where most windies wouldn't hit because it has a bit of a rep

but i went knocking got 2 days work worth £300 its all council estate nice easy work but they all pay on the dot no excuses and no problem .

Just keep cracking on mate rome wasn't built in a day nor was either of our business's .

you will get patches like that mate don't be disheartened just keep knocking you will eventually hit a good patch and find loads of workeven if it means hitting areas you wouldn't normally venture . I got a patch in an area where most windies wouldn't hit because it has a bit of a rep

but i went knocking got 2 days work worth £300 its all council estate nice easy work but they all pay on the dot no excuses and no problem .

Just keep cracking on mate rome wasn't built in a day nor was either of our business's .
Unless you buy a round /emoticons/wink.png

Latest Posts

Back