Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

City Centre Shops

Mart1001

Hi guys...

Do you tend to charge more to clean the windows of city centre shops ?

I have a couple of small shop fronts that I charge £5 each for(a couple of big windows and a door) which I can do in 5-10 minutes per shop(outside glass) but, I've been asked to go and give a quote to a simular sized shop which is located in the city centre. Forget parking fee's/travel etc, Ill incorperate that but, do you tend to charge more for the work itself as the shop is city centre ?

It's just that I realise that the rent is alot more expensive for city centre shops etc and so I was wondering whether I should also look to charge more....£8 for example. Hopefully, I'll pick up a couple more shops as the windows in that particular part of town look dirty and obviously, I would love to break into this type of work as it's easy and pays well but I'm just not sure how I should price.

What do you guys think ?

Mart.

I wouldn't price differently just because of the location.. I have seen the ground floor shops in the city centre being done by old boys.. Probably doing them for years and charging low.. But still able to make a good wage.. As you say £5 for 5 mins work.. Can't be bad to that.. But of course you would need more than 1 £5 shop to make it worth your while

Thanks Belfast.

Yea, you helped me make up my mind to just charge the same as I would anywhere else. I went to see the guy today and he was happy enough with £5 and wants them cleaned weekly. I couldn't pick anymore up along the same strip though, most were saying they have one...one said an old guy does them for 4 quid inside n out.....inside n out ?? I told them they have a bargain then.

I dropped a couple of cards to others that were mildly interested and left it there. £5 isn't really worth my hassle but, maybe something will develope now I have my foot in the door. Another factor is, the shop I have sells windows and conservatories so, that in itself might lead to other avenues.

Mart.

some times i think it dont matter if u go out ur way to clean shops or houses cos u never no wat else u may pick up in time when people c u there. an if u have a van all sign written it will take no time at all to get more wrk in that area then it will b well wrth traveling out there.

Thanks Belfast.Yea, you helped me make up my mind to just charge the same as I would anywhere else. I went to see the guy today and he was happy enough with £5 and wants them cleaned weekly. I couldn't pick anymore up along the same strip though, most were saying they have one...one said an old guy does them for 4 quid inside n out.....inside n out ?? I told them they have a bargain then.

I dropped a couple of cards to others that were mildly interested and left it there. £5 isn't really worth my hassle but, maybe something will develope now I have my foot in the door. Another factor is, the shop I have sells windows and conservatories so, that in itself might lead to other avenues.

Mart.
Some good points there Mart. When starting out it's probably a good idea to take on what you can get. It snowballs, customers sister needs a windy, neighbour of the sister wants you, friend of the neighbour etc etc. I picked a job up last week. I cleaned their windows years ago for a fiver. It was a rented small cottage. Anyway, I saw the bloke at a petrol station last week and he asked me to quote his new house. I thought, ahh it's probably another dump. How wrong was I. A bloody big farmhouse that he'd built from scratch. Got the job and flyered his village. No come back as yet, but you never know ;-)

The moral is, never turn your nose up till you're sure it's not worth your while.

Thanks Belfast.Yea, you helped me make up my mind to just charge the same as I would anywhere else. I went to see the guy today and he was happy enough with £5 and wants them cleaned weekly. I couldn't pick anymore up along the same strip though, most were saying they have one...one said an old guy does them for 4 quid inside n out.....inside n out ?? I told them they have a bargain then.

Mart.
From little acorns........

I went out of my way on a £12 house. One off. Her spreading the word as resulted in nearly £400s worth of one off work.

In a month or two gonna clean her windows for free. /emoticons/smile.png

Back