Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cutting Ladders Down!

mufcglen

Hi guys my ally ladders are 13 steps long and I reckon I'd be perfect with a ten step long set, now rather than buy some and pay silly money they seem to go far I'm thinking of just getting the grinder out and taking a few steps off and shorten it?

Anyone done this before and would it affect the stength?

No cause if there double ladders your weakening the lower ladders you could be ok for doing the top but then it still be same length at bottom...

eh?

A shorter ladder is stronger than a longer ladder.

Get a 5cm steel rod and try to bend it. Then get a 5ft steel rod and try to bend it.

Been cutting down ladders for years and years. As long as you are not interfering with the cross over points then it will be fine. If you only have 2 rungs from bottom section to top section then yeah dangerous. But tbh any numpty should see that /emoticons/wink.png

Hi guys my ally ladders are 13 steps long and I reckon I'd be perfect with a ten step long set, now rather than buy some and pay silly money they seem to go far I'm thinking of just getting the grinder out and taking a few steps off and shorten it?Anyone done this before and would it affect the stength?
Think about it. If you have a double set you will have to cut the top on one and the bottom on the other for it to fit into each other. I personally would not advise anyone to cut ladders.

Think about it. If you have a double set you will have to cut the top on one and the bottom on the other for it to fit into each other. I personally would not advise anyone to cut ladders.
That is what I said(That is what I ment) lol!

Hi guys cheers for replys, yes I'd have to cut one at the top and one at the bottom to shorten them.

Too be honest I can't see how I could loose strength as I'm only shortening the sides I'm not touching the centre steps apart from the ones that will come off with the sides, I was just gonna take a grinder or metal saw straight through then debur the sharp edges and put the plastic bit back in the end!

i cut mine all the time dont werry about it m8 its only a steppy after all u will b fine bin doin it 4 years i get 4 step ladders frm one 2 tear ladder the helf an safty police may shoot me down 4 sayin that lol :Image3:

Well I did it guys, cut it down from 13 steps to a twin 10 step and its still high enough to reach most windows without overstretching but really makes a difference in weight and ease of use to move!

There's no way I've made it weaker as all I've done is cut it down further from probably where the factory cut them too!

Very easy too, measured twice cut once then filed the edges smooth, drilled rivits out of old ends to get rubber noddys out then stuck them in new shortened ends and a few self tappers to hold them in place but the rubbers that where originally at bottom and worn I placed at top and too ones like new put at the bottom so nice hardly worn rubber pads at bottom!

Just need to get an a frame now as I can't make one of them lol!

There was no need to cut down them ladders!

I was thinking the other day...

Mine are 11 rungs(double) and 9/10 times extend by 2 rungs(rests on 3rd)

I have seen some lads near me who use(i think) 13 rung ladders and seperated two ladders into 1. Making it lighter wish mine werd 13 rungs!

Back