Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Film on inside shop windows

Matty H

Come on lads help me out here - got a call from a rather attractive (but that's beside the point) late 20's girl that's just opening a boutique and beauty rooms. Did outsides no problem (her shop opens Saturday) went to do insides and was Sellotape / paint etc so sSwear word!ed paint off and thought that felt weird when I realised there were scratches all over the glass - but no it wasn't the glass that was scratched it was a clear film that they had coated all 3 shop front windows inside with /emoticons/sad.png

I couldn't do a thing so I want to know if anybody has come across this or know the best way to remove the film. Because until you get that film off the windows are always going to look marked. I thought of melting it off perhaps but don't want to leave residue behind which will be even harder to clean off.

Arghhhhhhh - at least shop owner was well fit and understood the situation. She wants me to go back regular so give me the answer boys!!!! /emoticons/biggrin.png

this looks like the stuff here,

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WindowInsulatorKits/Products/

I have heard of it before, but never seen it on any customers windows, you could possibly call up the manufacture of the product linked for best advice, but going by the installation instructions it looks like it could take some doing to remove.
Thanks mate - that certainly looks like the stuff - if you look in the light you can still see where they had lettering on it etc. I thought about brick acid or a hot air gun /emoticons/biggrin.png

I wouldn't take the chance encase I botched it up and ended up having to pay for it. I would just tell them that the film unfortunately cant be removed, and it may be cheaper to replace the glass.

i have had this before, it is for when the window gets smashed, nothing you can do, except replace window, slightest make will scratch glass, sticking stuff to it will do even more damage when trying to remove it

Ooooooooo doesn't sound good lads - I could be there for hours trying to remove and as costs mount up she may as well replace glass I suppose

Yeah I had another business before this one & I had that safety film accross the insides on my windows.

It's impossible to take it off (I think someone has already mentioned that). You must replace the windows.

James.

I told her to***ht she wants me to go and help her out - what would you do lads /emoticons/biggrin.png

i have to agree with the lads i had a similar situation and never again these cleans can be worse than a builders clean /emoticons/sad.png:(

Back