Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Converting From Trad To Wfp

CallumTaylor8

Hi all this is my first post but been reading on the forum for a thew months now

Basically I am going to be getting my self a backpack WFP system to convert all my tops from trad, well my point is when I've spoken to a couple of my customers they don't seem to keen on the idea of me doing there windows with a pole. God knows why /emoticons/unsure.png they say to me

"I've had the window cleaners that use the pole and they leave my windows a right mess and all wet"

However I'm just abit worried that I'm going to loose these customers when I start using my pole,

So what would you guys do if these customers complain would you go back to using trad method on them certain customers or just tell them to do

One this is how I work now....

Having converted X rounds (forgotten how many now)

You can earn more money safer and quicker.

IF you need the customers then yeah if they moan stick to using ladders for them.

You will soon realise how much quicker wfp is on tops and safer of course.

If you decide to convert the tops to WFP then ONE MAJOR IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE. Do some prep work on the top windows BEFORE you clean them with your pole. Carry some pure water in a spray bottles and clean the tops with pure water only. AND clean all the frames with pure water only. Really go to town on them. The next time round it will be so much easier todo.

Explain to customers its for your health and safety and they will reap the benefits. (conny roofs,fascia cleans etc etc can all be done very quickly with wfp)

Hi Mate, welcome to the forum...

Water fed pole is not as easy as it looks, it takes some getting use to and good at..

I would start using it on a few customers first until you are good at it,

Then start converting the rest, keep all your jobs until you start to get more customers who like WFP and then replace the ones who don`t with them...

Hope that helps

@ Callum, what if you really like wfp and want to start doing the bottoms wfp too? You won't be able to use the H&S excuse for that. My advice would be go the whole hog. What I mean is do the whole house wfp on a few till you get au fait with it, then gradually convert more till you get a van system.

Yeah that's what I was thinking explaining to the customers about health & safety etc, and yeah the last clean before I use my pole really get the frames spotless so when I use my pole I won't have any problems with dirty water running down the glass after I'm gone

But yeah thanks for the advice. All comments taken on board, cheers lads

Yeah tuffers that's the bigger picture I want to be 100% wfp but at the minute all I can afford is a backpack/trolley system and that won't be sufficient enough to be doing full days work tops & bottoms I'd be forever filling up,

But hopefully this time next year I will have a van system, the full works /emoticons/smile.png & no more climbing ladders.

Yeah tuffers that's the bigger picture I want to be 100% wfp but at the minute all I can afford is a backpack/trolley system and that won't be sufficient enough to be doing full days work tops & bottoms I'd be forever filling up, But hopefully this time next year I will have a van system, the full works /emoticons/smile.png & no more climbing ladders.
I run completely off a trolley system and I can beat most if not all hose users I have come across.

My dad completely runs off a trolley system as well.

I can fill a 22L drum in less than 45 secs. But my trolley is custom built inc a built in hose reel and wireless on and off.

I see people fighting all the time with hose management and parking lol.

Yeah I suppose you can dont take long to fill up, it's all trial and error isn't it and a trolley system would probably be a lot easier as I'm all domestic... Reel in and pull the trolley in a van it's a lot of stop and start and I guess that's what takes the time.... I drive a suzuki swift at the minute girls car I know /emoticons/smile.png and also would be a tight fit all the drums

Do you use a trigger?? On the hose

I use a wireless system.

Similar to a car remote.

On and off /emoticons/wink.png

Cost less than £20 so I can turn pump on and off.

Where would I get one of those from??

Easy to install??

Think I'd rather have the remote snazzy int it /emoticons/smile.png can it be used with the backpack

I have mine in my back pack.

A chap on here called RC Property sells em. Regular poster.

Very easy to install.

Yeah I suppose you can dont take long to fill up, it's all trial and error isn't it and a trolley system would probably be a lot easier as I'm all domestic... Reel in and pull the trolley in a van it's a lot of stop and start and I guess that's what takes the time.... I drive a suzuki swift at the minute girls car I know /emoticons/smile.png and also would be a tight fit all the drums Do you use a trigger?? On the hose
Got a tap, but only use it when pulling the pole down the sections, I usually just kink the hose to stop the flow.

its hard to convert m8 ide say do 1 house at a time till u get used to it u will b so glad u did stick to it in the end dont tell them just clean there windows wfp if they ask wat is this new thing u using explain the system an the benafits good luck some will hate it some wont care some wont like it at first but will like it after a cupple cleans an c the benefit :Image14:

ive been wfp tops with 18 litre backpack from wcw. 1 year now, a bit tricky to begin with, the main issue is producing pure water. once this is mastered bingo. I still do a few easy acess houses with ladders, keeps you sane, change of pace. never any more stretching to clean awkward windows, to please your customer. I just lob my big pole out and to see the look of excitement on there faces proper bo. ive even been told I have a big one. lol my 27clx of course.

I am seriously thinking about a van now to go full steam ahead.

remember the windy weather last year, I would not have got much work done trad, but wfp the tops were no problem.

ive been wfp tops with 18 litre backpack from wcw. 1 year now, a bit tricky to begin with, the main issue is producing pure water. once this is mastered bingo. I still do a few easy acess houses with ladders, keeps you sane, change of pace. never any more stretching to clean awkward windows, to please your customer. I just lob my big pole out and to see the look of excitement on there faces proper bo. ive even been told I have a big one. lol my 27clx of course.

I am seriously thinking about a van now to go full steam ahead.

remember the windy weather last year, I would not have got much work done trad, but wfp the tops were no problem.
Well Johnny if u want see a top class van set up in action dont come see mine.....lol

If you wanna see a cheap but more then able set up your welcome to come have a look.

When we bought wfp, we had planned wfp tops and trad bottoms.. I spend hours explaining the whole wfp idea to customers, some were not too keen, some thought it was a brilliant idea.. I only lost 2 customers which is about 0.3% of our customers.. I really pushed the idea of its safer, I even told customers about the 2 that cancelled, and said if anyone else cant respect the fact I am trying to keep myself safe then they too can get someone else..

I was up and down ladders over 100 times a day.. That really narrows the chances down to having an accident and to be honest I don't want to be climbing ladder the rest of my life!!

I nearly fell off a ladder in high winds a few years back it put me right off and took ages to get my confidence and trust in the ladder back

nwcs ive sent a pm.

it would be great to get a look at how easy or hard it is to keep a van set up going. to get established into wfp cleaning . give me an idea of costs etc, and upkeep. especially the pure water set up. either @ home or in van set up. with di etc

It's funny innit....I did an house today that is having a new drive built. I arrived to see it all dug up an noticed a drain that was raised quite abit as a result....I didn't think anymore of it as I struggled to find the path to the house amongst it all. I put my ladders up to do the first window but then decided to pole a window above a sloping porch first. As I was using my pole and looking up at the window, I stepped sideways and tripped over the drain, I didn't go over, I managed to stumble and gather my footing whilst trying to keep the pole safe but I did hurt my ankle. I didn't think anymore about it until reading a couple of the post's above and it's only now that I realise the irony....ground work can be just as dangerous. Horses for courses....

Mart.

Latest Posts

Back