Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The Accused

Mart1001

I do a street that I have about 20 houses, it's my most successful street. All of the houses are roughly identical and the only access to the rear is through a side door. The majority of these customers that are not in when I clean, use my 'text the night before' system but one house in particular doesn't.

So I cleaned the front of this house yesterday, tried the side door, it was locked. So I did what I normally do and went to knock the door to ask for access. As I approached the porch door, I could see that the front door was slightly ajar. 'well there's someone in then I thought' and as I opened the porch door, the movement of the air pushed the front door further ajar(a good few inches). So I rang the bell....no answer. I waited a minute and a little girl on a bike came over and said 'they're out'. 'ok thanks' I said and closed the porch door. It was then that I thought to myself, if they're out, why is the front door ajar ? They're not the yale type(close the door and it locks sort of thing), it's more like a backdoor with an handle so, worrying that the customers house looked abit insecure, I opened the porch door again and closed their front door, closed porch door and left.

Today whilst still in the same area, I returned to see if they wanted me to finish the job(rears). The bloke answered, gave me half the money and said that's it....no more. thank you. 'oh'...I was waiting for him to complain about my work although I know I do a pro job.

'You entered this house yesterday' he said.

I didn't mate....

you did...

I swear to God I didn't mate...I noticed your door was ajar and I pulled it to for ya....was you in then ?

No, the wife was....

so why didn't she answer when I knocked ?

She said you came in to about here(he stood back a few feet into the middle of his hallway.

and where was your wife ?

she shouted at you.

what ? that didn't happen mate I promise you.

It went back and forth abit and he eventually said, 'I have to take her word for it' but I could sense he believed me. It's shame cause you do a good job he said.

I know, what's wrong with your wife that she would say this ?

I have to take her word for it.

I mentioned that this isn't fair because this could affect my reputation around there and he promised me he wouldn't mention it.

What on earth was all this about....I don't believe for a minute it's a cheap way of cancelling me. I know that his wife is one of them that never actually smiles. She opens the door, gives the money, says thanks and closes the door again. Not like other customers that like a little chat. The bloke himself had always seemed nice enough but his wife has always appeared abit stern faced.

I really feel like complaining to someone because I feel slandered. I could try to find the little girl to help vindicate myself as she saw what happened but, there's loads of kids around that street at the moment(school holidays) and I didn't take much notice to her plus, it's not right to bring her into it.

Gobsmacked....

Mart.

U handled it well i would have said.

Because if it was me ide of told him to f off and give me the rest of the money he owes me or things arnt going to be pretty. And tell that mut of a woman you call to grow a pair of nockers and come to the door next time when i nock if she were in all along.

Muppits

No probably about it, run and never look back
Nice one lolBrought this round a few years ago and we went round and met the customers said I was taking over the round. This particular job I'd met the husband but it was the wife that was home when I came to clean the windows she was proper weird rang the guy I brought the work off to check I was telling the truth then had to verify it with her husband. Then he turned up while I cleaned the windows made me feel real uncomfortable. Turned out she was scared of strangers.

Maybe she's miffed cos ya didn't take the hint and come in so she wants a window cleaner that offers those extras. Wink wink.

That's the trouble with this job. You are honest, but sometimes trying to be too honest back fires. I tend to leave a note on my invoice saying something like 'your patio door was open when I cleaned' or 'your car keys were in the ignition'.

Lol quality tuffers, ide keep mi pole in the van, stick a brush on the pole inbetween my legs n thrust them windows dry lmfao

Unfortunately it can only take one thing like that even when unfounded to destroy a local window cleaner reputation as ppl do talk.

Let’s hope for your sake that doesn't happen..

I do a street that I have about 20 houses, it's my most successful street. All of the houses are roughly identical and the only access to the rear is through a side door. The majority of these customers that are not in when I clean, use my 'text the night before' system but one house in particular doesn't.

So I cleaned the front of this house yesterday, tried the side door, it was locked. So I did what I normally do and went to knock the door to ask for access. As I approached the porch door, I could see that the front door was slightly ajar. 'well there's someone in then I thought' and as I opened the porch door, the movement of the air pushed the front door further ajar(a good few inches). So I rang the bell....no answer. I waited a minute and a little girl on a bike came over and said 'they're out'. 'ok thanks' I said and closed the porch door. It was then that I thought to myself, if they're out, why is the front door ajar ? They're not the yale type(close the door and it locks sort of thing), it's more like a backdoor with an handle so, worrying that the customers house looked abit insecure, I opened the porch door again and closed their front door, closed porch door and left.

Today whilst still in the same area, I returned to see if they wanted me to finish the job(rears). The bloke answered, gave me half the money and said that's it....no more. thank you. 'oh'...I was waiting for him to complain about my work although I know I do a pro job.

'You entered this house yesterday' he said.

I didn't mate....

you did...

I swear to God I didn't mate...I noticed your door was ajar and I pulled it to for ya....was you in then ?

No, the wife was....

so why didn't she answer when I knocked ?

She said you came in to about here(he stood back a few feet into the middle of his hallway.

and where was your wife ?

she shouted at you.

what ? that didn't happen mate I promise you.

It went back and forth abit and he eventually said, 'I have to take her word for it' but I could sense he believed me. It's shame cause you do a good job he said.

I know, what's wrong with your wife that she would say this ?

I have to take her word for it.

I mentioned that this isn't fair because this could affect my reputation around there and he promised me he wouldn't mention it.

What on earth was all this about....I don't believe for a minute it's a cheap way of cancelling me. I know that his wife is one of them that never actually smiles. She opens the door, gives the money, says thanks and closes the door again. Not like other customers that like a little chat. The bloke himself had always seemed nice enough but his wife has always appeared abit stern faced.

I really feel like complaining to someone because I feel slandered. I could try to find the little girl to help vindicate myself as she saw what happened but, there's loads of kids around that street at the moment(school holidays) and I didn't take much notice to her plus, it's not right to bring her into it.

Gobsmacked....

Mart.

If i were you ide mention the crazy story to the customers you do on the street, gossip like mad about it and aleast they will no the truth just incase, chances are they will prob reassure you ther the nutjobs on that street

Back