Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Windy Weather Up A Ladder

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

I have for years had a bungee cord wrapped around the top couple of rungs. If it's windy when you're up your ladder, take the bungee of (as it'll be close to hand) and strap it to something if poss.

Just been browsing through old posts and thought I had better reply to this one tuffers......seeing as no one replied. I bet you went to bed crying that night.

Its a good idea....the major problem is finding something solid to connect the bungee to. My mate who used to windowclean tells me that a lot of the old victorian houses he used to clean always had some steel hook or hoop connected to the wall to aid those working from ladders.

in the past ive used a big spring clamp [made of plastic] clipped on the sill
Thats a good idea boar. When you think about it, there should be some kind of solid device that you can have permenantly attached to your top rung that can easily clip on to the sill and can be quickly tightened, like a vice, to provide ladder stability.

moderate wind have my mate holding ladder , never had any problems

the main problem was moving ladders round house

always scary traveling with ladders on your van on windy days

Just been browsing through old posts and thought I had better reply to this one tuffers......seeing as no one replied. I bet you went to bed crying that night.
Its a good idea....the major problem is finding something solid to connect the bungee to. My mate who used to windowclean tells me that a lot of the old victorian houses he used to clean always had some steel hook or hoop connected to the wall to aid those working from ladders.

Didn't sleep a wink Tay :zzz:

I have felt the ladder shift on a couple of occasions when really windy. Not a nice feeling. I have a few three story houses to clean. I always check the forecast re the wind before I book these in.

you have to know your limits ,on windy days . i tend to stand at my van a few moments and judge the risk, if the wind is trying to take my cap off my head ,its a no no for certain

especially on 3 storey work,i wont do it if i have trouble extending my ladder due to side-blow . just put ladder back on van and do the job a week or so later - customers understand

I will work in all weather. .rain snow but wind is a different story..was on a slope roof over a garage once and the ladders blew over..had to wait till someone walked past and ask them to put em back for me as I didn't fancy jumping down

yep dont like the wind...its amazing how a little breeze at the bottom can lead to a man pants moment at the top....

me dad passed on to lie flat if a gust comes...and it works....but not recommended far better to live to work another day

and as dave says......grip the sh it out of the sill..../emoticons/biggrin.png

and before the polers come on....i had a wfp incident the other day and it wasnt really that windy....fully extended...its a bit heavy and a bit wobbly....and me got the wobbles...almost lost the pole across the road...almost...:rofl:

I had a little breeze at the bottom earlier..that was nearly a new pants moment:laugh:

yep i wasnt too happy hanging out of the window standing on the conny to paint the facia for his lordship over the road and boy was it windy..../emoticons/biggrin.png

View attachment 2830 the worst ladders in the wind are the Abru , the featherlight of the ladder world and its very popular for its lightness -but the shape of the I beam on the stiles catches the wind like a leaf on a tree .

Last edited:
There are still a lot of old school windies about using wooden ladders/ali rungs especially in winter months. One old boy told me that ali ones are a lot less stable being much lighter if wind catches them so that's why he uses wooden ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't miss the 'gripping the sh 1t out of the sills' or 'leaning into the glass' or trying not to move more than necessary. Holding your breath because the wind won't allow you to breath properly...................I don't miss this at all.

That said, I don't use the pole if it's too windy either.

I use my heavy ladder in winds but high winds like we had last winter is a definite no no. The problem is days when it can be sunny and nice but freak gusts appearing from no where, I hate the shakes you get after close one.

Sent from my RM-976_1115 using Tapatalk

I get caught out now and again by rouge high gusts of winds whilst clearing gutters by ladder. At least the kit I use the ladder is not going to go anywhere but is still a man pants moment when it happens. Likewise when my wfp gets taken by a high gust of wind too.

Back