Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Purification

patrick

Im a window cleaner who uses just traditional methods at the minute, im considering getting a trolley system for some of my work. How would I go about purifying the water, I know people have water butts in garages and things but how exactly does it work ?

u can use a ro but u wast a lot of water with them an it takes longer to fill up, with ro u need a static tank , also u can use a di set up witch is quicker to fill ur tank or 25l drums but u need a tds meater to c wat ur water qualty is any thing above 200ppm then u will b beter useing a ro hope that helps

also ide get a bk pack insted of a trollie just my view tho cos in the end u will probly want a van mount they go togther very well bk pack an van mount

In a nut shell :

Get a Total Dissolved Solids Metre (TDS)

The solids are what leave water marks on glass

A reverse Osmosis (R.O) system will take out usually 95% ish of the solids out of your water.

You will then need a Deionisation filter (D.I) full of resin to the 'polish' off the water (take out the other 5%)

Your water will the dry on glass, clear of any spots or marks (so long as you clean with the right technique)

Various ways and systems filter your water.

Some are faster but more expensive (eg 4040 R.O's)

Some are slower but cheaper.

Some people filter straight into there van tank, some people filter in a tank at home (static tank) and then transfer the water to the van depending on how much they need....

All depends on how much water you may need on a daily basis, situation at home i.e space, budget.....

If you want to use a trolley youd ideally want an r.o producing/filtering water into a static tank (get a 1000litre IBC) and then fill your barrels at night.

When you're out working have your r.o producing water into your ibc.

Have a read through posts and ask people questions buddy, just do as much read up as you can

Thanks for both replying. It is a static tank I was looking at to fill up overnight. Tench0771 you say get a back pack instead of a trolley system ?

Thanks for both replying. It is a static tank I was looking at to fill up overnight. Tench0771 you say get a back pack instead of a trolley system ?
yes m8 i had a purefreedom trollie an i thault it was a pain heavy an takes up a lot of space, my back used to kill me luging 25l drums about an lifting the trollie in an out of the van some people like them but there not 4 me lol and if u run a drum dry u have to faff about geting the air lock out{ nte mare}

another thing is a trollie is like nearly £500 back pack is just over £100 think gardeners do a bujet bk pk even cheeper

How much water can a backpack carry ? Do you have a van mounted system ?
i have a 18l wcw bk pk i can clean a small bunglow with one fill if it ant got loads of stubern bird mck on glass u can get a big boy bk pk but i think u will need a sack truck to carry it lol ,i have a 350l van mount i use the bk pack 4 the odd job where its a nte mare realing hose out ar if im cleaning a few top windows an trading the rest

my tap water is 70ish ppm so i use a twin di so i filter my water strate in me tank an 25l drums twin di saves so mch resin. also if u look on this site map u can get a ider wat tds r like in different areas

tench £120 for IBC TANK is that new? was looking couldint get nowt under £250

ended up getting water butts 220l

only thing is they are a pain filling them up every night

If you can find second-hand IBC Tanks near where your from, you'd get them for around £50.00...it's the delivery charges that whack the prices up. If buying s/hand always ask what has been contained in them

They come sizes of...600ltr/800ltr and 1000ltr.... The smaller they are, the dearer they are.

Here's a NEW 800ltr....or even two tanks delivered for £155.00 :Image9: .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibc-Tank-800ltr-Water-Butt-800Litre-Water-Tank-NEW-Fish-Tank-Not-600-Litre-Ibc-/181252164776?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item2a33788ca8

Used 1000ltr....or two tanks delivered for £135.00......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibc-Tank-800ltr-Water-Butt-800Litre-Water-Tank-NEW-Fish-Tank-Not-600-Litre-Ibc-/181252164776?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item2a33788ca8

ended up getting water butts 220l

only thing is they are a pain filling them up every night
hi m8 yes saw one on e.bay £120 the other day that was plus delivery cant rember if it was new or used , there r cheeper ones £45 pick up only tho keep checking an one will pop up near u at some point

How does the set up work for purifying the water ? Am I right in thinking it can be done in a garage or a shed ?
yes m8 its a good ider to have a out side tap then u have the ibc tank in shed or garage so water dont freze in winter u conect ur hose to out side tap then conect other end to filter system ie {di or ro } then filter pure water in ibc then u can fill ur 25l drums frm there cos theres a tap on the ibc

Back