Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Makeshift Downspout Unblocker

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Smurf

Arrived to do this one today only to find I my plumbing snake wasn't in the van. Must have left it at a previous job. Oops!

View attachment 2403

As per usual the downspout was blocked so dug what I could out by hand.

View attachment 2404

Sod's law the joints had been glued so only option was to try and unblock the bends with something I had in the van.

Had a bit of a brainwave whilst looking about in the back of the van so decided to cut a bit off me minibore hose reel that so happened worked a treat.

Now all I have to do is take off the bit of hose to keep as a downspout unblocker and put me hose connector back on me hose reel. :D

View attachment 2405

Bend was totally rammed packed so just needed a quick poke about and I wasn't going to setup me jetter for one poxy downspout. Mind you I did do a water test afterwards using my wfp hose reel with the end cut off to make sure the bottom bend wasn't blocked too or the pavement gully. /emoticons/wink.png

Quick tip to check downspouts bends are not blocked.

Carry some small stones in your pocket then drop one in the top of the downspout and listen to find out if it goes through to the bottom of the downpipe or not. /emoticons/wink.png

Was a bit desprate @Posh to be honest so just thought a bit of me hose would do. Lucky i did not need the hose reel later for wfp work as had to soak the pipe in boiling water to swap the conector over./emoticons/biggrin.png

Regarding me little stone tip your very welcome bud;)

That's what I sometimes do too if have access to an outside tap;)

good thinking i usly chuck a hose down turn water on full wack an plunge till its cleared

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of using an outside tap here is another litttle tip:

If access to a downspout is very awkward/dangerous using a ladder to check/unblock rather than risking your neck simply cable tie a garden hose to a wfp with a cone shape hoselock nozzle on the end. Point the nozzle downwards attached to a single or double plastic angle adaptor. As long as the downspout is not to badly blocked with say roots etc it's another way to get the job done.

Back