Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

roof cleaning - first job

Guest sdrah

good evening everyone - I was asked to do a "quick clean" to a mossy roof something like this http://www.pesticide.org/Alternatives/phase-2-solutions-for-consumers/roofmoss.jpg

However I haven't cleaned a roof before - and don't have the equipment nor the experience . Any help from you guys will be appreciated .

It's a bungalow so is not too high but having no experience I am lost ... The owner wants me to cleaner the moss only and i was wondering if I should jet wash it or to use a wire brush and then a petrol blower ?! :)

or what do you think about this wand http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-Extendable-Lance-Pressure-Washer/dp/B0084D1018/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1386268133&sr=8-13&keywords=karcher+extension+pole ?

or shall I get a roof hook for my ladders ? how safe are these hooks http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LADDER-ROOF-HOOK-UNIVERSAL-/150601130656?pt=UK_Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&hash=item231086e2a0

thanks a lot x

thx Smurf - It is a good , pretty safe and cheap method - so very probably I will do the same with a scraper something ...

Any ideas how much to charge ? I reckon it will take me most of the day to clear two 3 bed cottages - about £160? for the roof and about £80 + for gutters

Anyway thx

Scraping will take you ages, i always powerwash, lay down tarps , always use a roof ladder, i never charge less than £250 per roof , aint worth it if you do, if i was too scrape a roof id want £500 minimum

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LukeStead

We use a 12v pump powered by a Marine battery to apply the roof wash mix - 12.5 %sodium hypochlorite and water along with a surfactant. The surfactant we currently use is "roof snot" and we get it from south side equipment. I've heard of guys using dish soap as a surfactant, but it can reduce the potency.

Cleaning a roof like that vid is totally fine until it isn't. Then it totally isn't. Like someone else said, one slip and its fatal at that height - at the very least a life changing fall. Wouldn't catch me doing it..

Indeed it is standard practice.

Most don't think about their own safety especially old roofer as they get complacent and I've known a few that have killed themselves over the years falling from roofs. They work that way to remain price competitive and for no other reason.

I personally would not want to attempt to clean a roof properly without having the property fully scaffold first. It's all down to cost as most customers want to save money so get someone in to risk their neck instead.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.